What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 - Sharks vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 15th May 5:30pm @Suncorp Stadium

southsport

First Grade
A very ordinary second half from Souths, I thought we were going to lose it after leading 20-0 late in the first half.

Jim Rockford

Bench
The difference in our attack with Reyno running the show is night and day to when he's not there. Tonight we looked lethal whenever we got down their end whereas last week we never looked likely to score at any point.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Our problem is defence,we cannot win the 22nd with this defence
Our defence is very ordinary, bounce off players, arm grabbing, not moving up, we won't get too far if this keeps up.
Tonite it was the D in the middle that wasn't good, especially in the 2nd half. God we miss Murray to lock it up.
At least the right side D was better, Burns was ok, Milne fair but doesn't have the speed to chase down or stop a break on his outside.

Just glad we got through this, Latrell back next week, Cody can move back to 5/8, should make the attack better and more potent

handyman2190

Bench
Tonite it was the D in the middle that wasn't good, especially in the 2nd half. God we miss Murray to lock it up.
At least the right side D was better, Burns was ok, Milne fair but doesn't have the speed to chase down or stop a break on his outside.

Just glad we got through this, Latrell back next week, Cody can move back to 5/8, should make the attack better and more potent
Burns needs more fitness,he was out for over 300 days,it will take him half a season to catch up,same with milne who looks 10kg overweight and needs to play reserves to catch up,he didnt have a preseason either.
Well be better when sauce murray graham and latrell are back the next 2 weeks will be hard for us,very

callmack1

Staff member
Yewwwww!! Great feeling to bounce back and return to the winners circle! A fantastic feeling!! As I have said, we really needed a win tonight and the boys got the job done in good fashion against a strong and willing Cronulla side. It wasn't the best performance by us but a win's a win.

The first half was brilliant, fantastic to watch as we completely dominated in almost every part of the game. We dominated the ruck, our defence was tight and our attacked returned in a big way to score some beautiful tries. We were near pefect with the ball and diciplined wirhout it. Cronulla had no reply and we were just suffocating them as the half wore on. Was really pleased with that first 40, some of the best Footy we've played all year.

The second half was a different story. The boys just looked so flat and even looked asleep at the wheel as we let Cronulla back into the game. The defence around the ruck loosened up and suddenly, we were missing tackles like it was going out of fashion. This lead to tries to them and suddenly, after being down by plenty, they were back in the game. This period was our own fault, we just didn't turn up with the right attitude in the seconed half which was very disappointing.

I must say though, I was happy with the way we responded. I said during the week that this one was going to test our mental strength, well, that gets a big tick of approval from me. When things started to go pear shaped, after last week, the boys could have dropped their heaps and conceded but this was not the case thankfully they didn't panic, they trusted the process and executed the plan. Gotta be proud of that as it proves the mental toughness of the side.

All in all, not entirely happy with the game and we have a lot of work to do next week against Penrith. I think the first half is enough to prove last week was just a blip in the radar, just need to produce it for 80 minutes. But at the same time, it feels so bloody good to get a win in Magic Round!!

callmack1

Staff member

assess5

Juniors
I thought Milne was good but is too slow to play wing, he needs to play centre with Gagai on the wing.
We saw what happened with Gagai playing in the wing position last week - leave him in the centres, you don't weaken both positions because the team is weak in the wing position.

I thought Milne was better than Paulo anyway. When Cartwright came on I thought Oh o we've lost again.

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench
Dont forget milne,burns and carty have not had a pre season, they need time to get match fit, milne needs weight loss pills and sprint training,you could see how rusty he was,carty on the other hand needs 10kg added on

southsport

First Grade
We saw what happened with Gagai playing in the wing position last week - leave him in the centres, you don't weaken both positions because the team is weak in the wing position.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that, Gags is an origin winger and Milne is a centre not a winger, he'll get carved up on the wing in the next couple of weeks most likely, it will have been noted by the opposition what Hiroti did to score the last try of the match.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Walker: Not a bad game at all, quite good actually! He was popping up all over the place throughout the game and chiming into the backline well in attack. Having reyno back massively helped his game. He was throwing some nice cut out passes to AJ that we creating a few chances but the Sharks defence was up to the challenge. However, they couldn't stop Cody later in the half as probed from long range down the left and threw a nice ball to Gags that helped him get on the outside of his opposite. Cody then backed up through the middle for a brilliant try, great play!! He was safe under the high ball and I thought when he had to return the ball off a kick, he was strong as he made a couple of half breaks there. Not bad defensively and even made a great tackle along with Cookie on Jack Williams in the first half and somehow they managed to hold him up. That was amazing!! Cody's magic night was capped off with another great try, getting an offload from Junior on the ground to crash over and seal the game. I think Cody has done a really good job at Fullback as a fill in but in saying that, it's obvious he just isn't a fullback. Looking forward to him slotting back into 5/8 next week.

Johnston: AJ was okay, probably nothing special but he did okay. A fantastic finish in the corner for his try! That was a tough pass to take above his head and he still had some work to do to make it too the line but such is the class of AJ, the try was never in doubt. His running game wasn't too bad, he did get dominated a few times though and came up with an error that put us under pressure. Didn't put a foot wrong in defence though which was good to see.

Gagai: I enjoyed Gagai's performance last night back in his usual position. He just looked far more comfortable. His running game and work rate weren't bad despite his stats in that area being a little bit down with 11runs for just 77 meters. An incredible play for Cody's try and that was all Gags. Taking a nice pass from Cody himself, Dane skipped to the outside of his opposite with ease, the movement he put on looked so effortless, it was freakish. Stepping inside, he then found Cody who had a simple stroll to the tryline. Defensively, he was pretty good for most of the game as he came up with some good reads and shut a few plays down on that side. The only defensive error he made lead to the Sharks third try, he probably should have jammed in to close the gap. Otherwise, not a bad game from Gags.

Burns: Moving to the right edge, he looked okay. Again, nothing special but he was pretty solid in ontly his second NRL game back. A lot of his runs were strong, especially the one early ish in the second half where he skipped across field and made a half break. However, I think his work rate could have been better and he could have gone looking for the ball a bit more. He was solid in defence though, coming up with some good stops and there was a couple of times where he got beat but was still able to recover and get his man in the end. The one bad moment in his defensive game was costly though. The Sharks went straight through a yawning gap for their first try, a gap Burnsy could have closed if he'd read the play. His night was ended early with cramp.

Milne: A very, very solid Rabbitohs debut. So solid in fact that I think he's moved himself up in the pecking order of outside backs within the club. Yes, he looked to be carrying a bit of weight and looked a little slow but we have to remember he's coming off a long term injury too. looking a little slow did not take away from his performance last night. He had some really strong runs coming out of our end, a few were barnstorming in fact and he was able to poke his nose through the line. Aside from Cody, he had the most running meters of all the outside backs with 12s off 15 runs. Those are good stats!! No errors from him and we was even able to get a couple of good offloads away. Defused a few high kicks during the game and he looked allgood in defence. The Sharks did some their last try down that edge but it wasn't his fault, we just got caught out and Cartwright was caught jammed in. Good wingers follow their centres in defence which is what Taane did so there wasn't a lot more he could do there.

Marshall: With Reyno back, Benji was free to just play his role without having to run the team and direct them round the park. Right from the start, you could see that our attack was going to benefit massively from that. Benji threatened early on but just couldn't finish the play off. He finally got it right in the sixth minute as he put on a beautiful no look short pass for Keaon to slide in for his first NRL try, that was a slick play. Benji then followed that up with an even better play twelve minutes later as he threw another no look pass, this time a bullet across the face of the Sharks defence to put AJ over. Those were the only two try involvements he was involved in but he still looked pretty dangerous throughout the whole game. He seemed to do a lot of kicking last night too but that was a good thing as both his short and long kicking was on point. That contributed to our great kicking game. Did okay in defence early on but started to look more and more ragged as the game went on. He started missing tackles and didn't slide to close the gap on the Sharks third try. Still, not a bad game. He has also done pretty well the last four weeks but I'm looking forward to having him back in his bench utility role.

Reynolds: What a great return game! It's been a big week for him but to his credit, he turned up and did a fantastic job. The week clearly didn't effect him at all. In fact, was it just me of did he seem to play with more freedom? He just looked like there was no pressure on him as just about every play he come up with was good. He was even running the ball more!! He didn't do anything wrong in defence and man, how good was his kicking game?! It was near perfect, both short and long, goal kicking included. The last two weeks have proved how important Reyno really is to this team and his influence cannot be questioned.

callmack1

Staff member
Burgess: Made amends for a poor effort last week with a good game last night. He was certainly back to his best as he was was heavily involved and his barging runs were a big reason why we dominated that first half. He ran for 163 meters, the most of anyone in our side which was a big effort. No errors and I thought we was strong in defence around that middle. Good game Tommy!

Cook: A lot of players bounced back from last week but none more so that Cookie. He returned to form in a big way. The little parts of his game that he always does well were still there but is was fantastic to see him genuinely probe from dummy half. The return of his running game was an extremely welcome sight too, any quick play-the-ball or any hint of the markers not being where they should be an Cook was off. This happened right from the start of the game too and continued for the full 80. We weren't really able to take advantage of any of these runs but if the forwards are laying the platform, this is what we need Cookie doing, we all know that. His best game for a few weeks but he needs to back it up and go again in a big game next week.

Tatola: Another player who really stood up from their efforts last week. Junior was massive last night and although I thought his first stint was his best, his second was still bloody good. He really took it to the Cronulla pack with some massive runs, a lot of them too. His one-two punch with Tom laid a really good platform early which saw us dominate that first half. In the end he finished up with 155 meters in a huge effort. Still have no idea how he got that ball away to Cody off the ground, that was an amazing offload!! Junior has been a bit up and down this year but I thought this was probably one of his better games so far.

Koloamatangi: Another brilliant display from Keaon! He terrorised that right edge of the Sharks all night!! Early on, he threatened running off Benji and he got it right the second time around, running a really nice line, taking the pass from Benji and crashing over for his first ever NRL try!! That must feel good. Every run he took was good but I was quite surprised when looking at the stats, he only made 7 runs for 57 meters. Feels like he did a lot more than that.

Su'A: Really pleased to see Jaydn stand up, he certainly needed to. Only had nine runs for 79 meters but I thought he was influential on that right edge as he came up with some good runs throughout the game. It was his defence which was the most impressive though. I know he was put on report and may be suspended but it was great to see him back putting shorts on. That one on Wade Graham was a bone rattler!!

Knight: Probably played his best game of the year so far in this one. He was huge!! Especially in his opening stint. Was really hungry for work and it was all quality work too, making some massive runs and coming away with an offload or a quick play-the-ball to really put us on the front foot. Did have a couple of hairy moments, as he always seems to, but thankfully these ones didn't cost us. His Captain's Challenge was very smart. Finished up with 16 runs and 139 meters in a very impressive display. If he could produce that every week, there's no way he'd cop the criticism he does from fans.

Nicholls: As always, a good, solid game. I don't have too much to comment on but that's never a bad thing when it comes to Nicho. He did his job well and that's all we can ask. The one area he could be a bit better at his is defence in the middle though.

Sele: it was his first game this year and he didn't get many minutes but he really shone while he was on. Provided great impact off the bench. His first run really set the tone and I think that generated the quick play-the-ball which lead to Cody's first try the play later. Well done Hame! More please!!!

Cartwright: Not a lot to comment on with Jed. He didn't have one run at all which is a little disappointing. I know he didn't have big minutes but he should still be coming in looking for work.

Arrow: Jai was pretty good. Impactful off the bench yet again. 119 meters for a really strong showing in his running game and he kept the defnce tight. A huge run right at the end of his game for the try, his first in the Red and Green I might add! That was a great effort, it was sheer determination and will power to beat a few defenders and crash over, my highlight of the game.

Stoked to get the win, we hung tough! However, there is still a lot to work on heading into a biggy next weekend. We'll get Latrell and hopefully Sauce back which will be big and I'm sure the boys know what needs to happen between now and next Sunday to have us ready. But that's next week, for today, let's enjoy this win!!

Travitoh

First Grade
Dont forget milne,burns and carty have not had a pre season, they need time to get match fit, milne needs weight loss pills and sprint training,you could see how rusty he was,carty on the other hand needs 10kg added on

You do realise that 10kg is 10% of Milne's bodyweight and would make him the third lightest player in yesterdays team behind Cook and Reynolds, right?
I'm glad you're not the strength and conditioning coach. We'd be putting out a team of AFL footballers.

Nafedogg

Juniors
You do realise that 10kg is 10% of Milne's bodyweight and would make him the third lightest player in yesterdays team behind Cook and Reynolds, right?
I'm glad you're not the strength and conditioning coach. We'd be putting out a team of AFL footballers.

i think that’s the standard “overweight number” all our players seem to be, I remember posts about Greg being 10kgs over, then Latrell, Marsters, I think even once someone claimed Adam was 10kg overweight lol.

Latest posts