What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin

Jane Murray

Bench
Lately our club has been given some unfair criticisms. Firstly, our team was labelled arrogant, and cocky. Ivan is now being blamed for the problems at the Tigers.

The below article is refreshing.

Alex Sumsky
Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler has declared ‘heaps’ of Penrith Panthers players will likely be included in his Origin squad when it gets announced next month, including potential bolter Matt Burton.

The young gun is Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs bound next year in a bid to get game time in the halves because he is the second choice to Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai at Penrith.

Burton has been filling in at centre since Round Four but you would never know he is playing out of position, racking up a try every game, 11 tackle breaks and is averaging 124 run metres, and it hasn’t gone unnoticed.

Speaking in his role as commentator for Channel Nine on the Sunday Footy Show, Fittler said: "Matt Burton's been outstanding. Just the quality...you can see how many positions he plays, he's a great player.”

NSW Origin great Peter Sterling said of Burton: "He'll play Origin.”

"I don't think anyone realised how good he was,” Fittler said.

"When I looked at the decision when Ivan picked Jarome Luai, because Matt Burton had that little bit of run just prior to Ivan coming there and I'm thinking, 'Well you know what, Jarome? I know they played together him and Nathan.

"But then, Jarome's just been scintillating and we haven't really been able to see how good Burton is until every time he plays, he's the best player and then he comes and plays centre and he's the best player there as well.

"He's pretty special.”

21-year-old Burton has been playing inside another NSW player and NSW Under-20’s representative Brian To’o, who is currently leading the NRL in tackle breaks, run metres and post-contact metres as a winger.

“The amount of work he gets through in a game is unbelievable, so to play alongside him it’s really special and the amount of metres he clocks up in a game is phenomenal; he’s such a good player and such a good bloke as well,” Burton said of To’o.

Nathan Cleary, Isaah Yeo, Stephen Crichton and Luai, were all picked in Fittler’s NSW side last year and it looks as though a large Panthers group may get the nod again this year after Fittler likened Penrith to the Melbourne Storm and how they play well together in club land and at a representative level.

“They do it so well together when you take a chunk of them,” Fittler said.

As well as To'o leading the NRL in stats, Cleary leads the league in kick metres and amount of kicks, while his halves partner Luai leads in try assists and line break assists.

age.s

First Grade
I wouldn't pick Leniu. He's been good and will get there one day but I dont think he quite deserves it on his 21 form so far. Maybe in the developing squad.

Imo we have 3 certainties. Cleary, Yeo and Capewell. I'd personally have Luai in that category but just have a feeling they'll go with Walker. To'o vs Tupou could go either way. You can make a case for both. Crichton, Burton and maaaaaaybe Edwards make the developing squad.

WestyLife

First Grade
My biggest problem with orogin is the loyalty shown to players who have been there before. Pick the best player for the position. The idea of sticking by players came from QLD who don't have the same depth as nsw.

Jane Murray

Bench
My biggest problem with orogin is the loyalty shown to players who have been there before. Pick the best player for the position. The idea of sticking by players came from QLD who don't have the same depth as nsw.
When Freddy made his coaching debut, he debuted a lot of players, including Nathan I think. He may do so again.

mxlegend99

Referee
I read that too, however, I have also read that Freddy is leaning towards club combinations.
Freddy at one point downplayed the club combinations saying Walker and Cleary have played together and Origin experience is more important than club form.

He seems to regularly contradict himself. Pick the bulknof the available Panthers and reap the rewards of players combinations, work ethic and form. Even if a player on his own is not as good. In the system they're easily the better option.

Ie.

1. Tedesco
2. To'o
3. Critter
4. Turbo
5. Fox
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Haas
9. Koroisau
10. Paulo
11. Martin
12. Jurbo
13. Yeo

14. Burton
15. Saifiti
16. Frizzell (dont rate him on recent years but he's straight in because Fittler values experience so highly and form barely at all)
17. Murray

Hard part is injuries and suspension keep changing what's available. But either way pick the Panthers that combine in the middle, give them a couple of their edge backs and defensively we know they're the best team and offensively their combinations put them ahead of anyone single player.

Jane Murray

Bench
Freddy at one point downplayed the club combinations saying Walker and Cleary have played together and Origin experience is more important than club form.

He seems to regularly contradict himself. Pick the bulknof the available Panthers and reap the rewards of players combinations, work ethic and form. Even if a player on his own is not as good. In the system they're easily the better option.

Ie.

1. Tedesco
2. To'o
3. Critter
4. Turbo
5. Fox
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Haas
9. Koroisau
10. Paulo
11. Martin
12. Jurbo
13. Yeo

14. Burton
15. Saifiti
16. Frizzell (dont rate him on recent years but he's straight in because Fittler values experience so highly and form barely at all)
17. Murray

Hard part is injuries and suspension keep changing what's available. But either way pick the Panthers that combine in the middle, give them a couple of their edge backs and defensively we know they're the best team and offensively their combinations put them ahead of anyone single player.
That is exactly what I meant. Fittler will be a fool not to pick Luai, also Alexander is an advisor, hopefully, he will get into Fittler's ear.

Latest posts