What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Celebrating Indigenous Round - who are your favourites, best, and under-rated ...

So many come to mind for me...

My favourite player of all time is Nathan Blacklock..

Other “favourites” are Anthony Mundine, Jeff Hardy (an absolute workhorse who played everywhere), Andrew Walker and Ricky Walford. Yes, all dragons. Outside the dragons it’d be Matt Bowen n John Chicka Ferguson

Best - Greg Inglis. I never saw Beetson but heard so many stories inc from a mate who roped him into a touch footy team of his.. Thurston up there too.

Under-rated. David Peachey stands out for me. And Ian Russell.

Last edited:

yobbo84

First Grade
Good thread! Just from Souths I'll go...

Favourite all time: Nathan Merritt. No-one I've ever seen has the knack Merritt had to pop up right where he needed to be to finish off a try. Would play on one wing, a break would be made on the other side of the field and lo-and-behold there's Nathan backing up for the try.

Best: Greg Inglis. Left him out of the above because he was just the complete footy player snd the best athlete I've ever seen play the game.

Underrated: Chris Sandow. Probably the "funnest" footy player to watch and a serious talent in his prime. Certainly one of those "if only" players.

Others I enjoyed watching include David Peachey, Owen Craigie, Rhys Wesser, Alex Johnston, Latrell Mitchell and Yileen Gordon.

John chicka Ferguson. Scored important tries in both 89 and 90 GFs.

After I posted I realised I’d overlooked him and added him in as one of my favourites. One of those players that whenever the ball went his way you’d lean forward in your seat...

A tip... watch the 1985 Challenge Cup final on YouTube - Hull v Wigan. It’s just so enjoyable to watch and Chicka Ferguson played a starring Role... inc an awesome try.

T-Boon

Coach
Best: Beetson
Favourite: Mundine (I was obsessed with his boxing career early on).
Under rated: Cliff Lyons
Most intriguing: Ewan McGrady

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
nrl-2015-gf-brisbane-broncos-v-north-queensland-cowboys---johnathan-thurston-kicks.jpg

nick87

Coach
Ill preface this by saying im 34, so im looking at players i watched closely, so anyone before about 93-94 probably isnt going to be on my personal radar

Best: Johnathan Thurston... just a remarkably great player who dominated at all levels of the game. His style was super fun too. I always put a premium on players who play in the spine because the importance of those roles is so significant in a footy team, so he's get the nod on that front too.

Favourite: Laurie Daley... Grew up watching him at his peak, gave me a lot of wonderful memories as a young Raiders fan. Just a brilliant player. His toughness, his attacking flair and that beautiful nose. Love him. Legend.

Underrated: Preston Campbell.... I think he's highly regarded but i think time has somewhat forgotten what a truly dominant player he was at his peak. Ridiculously talented and skillful player, usually the smallest guy on the park but had as much talent, heart and toughness as any. A joy to watch.

Others that have brought me joy to watch, which doesnt mean they're all super elite or consistent players but just guys ill remember watching with fondness:
Greg Inglis, Matt Bowen, Jack Wighton, Ken Nagas, Ricky Walford, Matt Sing, Reece Wesser, Blake Ferguson, Josh Addo-Carr, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Georgie Rose

GAZF

First Grade
Ill preface this by saying im 34, so im looking at players i watched closely, so anyone before about 93-94 probably isnt going to be on my personal radar

Best: Johnathan Thurston... just a remarkably great player who dominated at all levels of the game. His style was super fun too. I always put a premium on players who play in the spine because the importance of those roles is so significant in a footy team, so he's get the nod on that front too.

Favourite: Laurie Daley... Grew up watching him at his peak, gave me a lot of wonderful memories as a young Raiders fan. Just a brilliant player. His toughness, his attacking flair and that beautiful nose. Love him. Legend.

Underrated: Preston Campbell.... I think he's highly regarded but i think time has somewhat forgotten what a truly dominant player he was at his peak. Ridiculously talented and skillful player, usually the smallest guy on the park but had as much talent, heart and toughness as any. A joy to watch.

Others that have brought me joy to watch, which doesnt mean they're all super elite or consistent players but just guys ill remember watching with fondness:
Greg Inglis, Matt Bowen, Jack Wighton, Ken Nagas, Ricky Walford, Matt Sing, Reece Wesser, Blake Ferguson, Josh Addo-Carr, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Georgie Rose
You forgot Boogs.

Latest posts