What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Celebrating Indigenous Round - who are your favourites, best, and under-rated ...

horrie hastings

First Grade
I remember them. You actually felt sorry for the fullback when he put one up.

He had so much natural talent , such a freakish player, one play I remember back in 1996 when the Roosters beat the Broncos on Monday night football, Walker dummied to kick but then ran the ball and passed to Darren Junee who scored the brilliant chip and chase try to level the scores with 5 mins to go. He was a very good goal kicker too.

He had so much natural talent , such a freakish player, one play I remember back in 1996 when the Roosters beat the Broncos on Monday night football, Walker dummied to kick but then ran the ball and passed to Darren Junee who scored the brilliant chip and chase try to level the scores with 5 mins to go. He was a very good goal kicker too.

And what a fabulous night that was, too.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Another one i forgot was Ron Gibbs, even though he went to Manly he had a few good years at the Roosters, devastating running centre and later 2nd rower.

gerg

Juniors
We've been blessed with so many amazing indigenous players in our game.

I love watching JAC play. Give him a little space and sit back and watch the magic. From years ago a few that haven't been mentioned John Simon from Illawarra. Such a talented half.

Another bloke who was untouchable on the wing for the Knights, Ashley Gordon was so quick, but couldn't maintain his form.

horrie hastings

First Grade
We've been blessed with so many amazing indigenous players in our game.

I love watching JAC play. Give him a little space and sit back and watch the magic. From years ago a few that haven't been mentioned John Simon from Illawarra. Such a talented half.

Another bloke who was untouchable on the wing for the Knights, Ashley Gordon was so quick, but couldn't maintain his form.

I was at a game at Newcastle back in 1990 when the Roosters played there, Easts were crap that year but somehow they lead Newcastle 16-10 going into the last 15 mins [ that was amazing in itself as the previous two games East hadn't even scored a try], Kurt Sherlock had a shot at goal which would have given East an 8 pt lead late in the game but it hit the uprights and bounced back, after that the Knights scored 4 tries in the last 13 mins including 3 to a runaway Ash Gordon.

age.s

First Grade
Favorite: Preston Wesser. Please don't make me pick one.

Best: Thurston. Surprised not to see one of the ATG halves come up more. Incredible player in both dominant and garbage teams.

Underrated is tough. Hard to know how hyped players of previous eras were really. Op called David Peachey and that seems like a pretty good shout.

Meth

Staff member
Growing up, I loved watching John Lomax and Quentin Pongia. A couple of trailblazing Maori forwards who really made the Canberra pack fearsome. A little before that, there was Brendon Tuuta. Tawera Nikau is another that comes to mind. Ruben Wiki. Stacey Jones. Now, Tohu Harris.

Latest posts