What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Williams quits Raiders

Things Canberra have historically excelled at...
yeah true, but when you get a good crop together & invest time & money into them & they excel ... you have to offload them due to the salary cap to other clubs who don't develop their talent.

Penrith will find this out big time in the next few years

yeah true, but when you get a good crop together & invest time & money into them & they excel ... you have to offload them due to the salary cap to other clubs who don't develop their talent.

Penrith will find this out big time in the next few years
Did they have a salary cap in the early 90s? I remember most of it like it was yesterday; used to play Snake on my Nokia 5110. Don’t recall Canberra losing many players at that stage.

Not seen much pillaging of Canberra since then either; the Milf maybe?

Re Penrith, I think the Panthers will be fine over the next few years; thank you for your concern.

Did they have a salary cap in the early 90s? I remember most of it like it was yesterday; used to play Snake on my Nokia 5110. Don’t recall Canberra losing many players at that stage.

Not seen much pillaging of Canberra since then either; the Milf maybe?

Re Penrith, I think the Panthers will be fine over the next few years; thank you for your concern.
haha
you need a history lesson then or you must of been on drugs in the early 90's

the Raiders were the first salary cap rorters in 1991
the NSWRL refused to protect the talented crop we had back then from scum clubs like the roosters who publicly declared they'd take what we couldn't keep & so the raiders cooked the books to keep them. We lost players. Some say this was the real catalyst for the super league war 4 years later

Penrith will be decimated in the next few years
the cap will see to it

nick87

Coach
Isn’t it a negative degrees morning in Canberra today?
Im having a coffee on my deck, it’s currently 22 lol

No idea, haven't checked to see what the temp is
Just walked my kids to school, they're blowing "smoke" and putting their foot prints all over the grass.

Nothing better than a crisp winter morning, gets the juices flowing.

stryker

First Grade
No idea, haven't checked to see what the temp is
Just walked my kids to school, they're blowing "smoke" and putting their foot prints all over the grass.

Nothing better than a crisp winter morning, gets the juices flowing.
Lol it’d wake you up that’s for sure

Valheru

Coach
haha

the NSWRL refused to protect the talented crop we had back then from scum clubs like the roosters who publicly declared they'd take what we couldn't keep & so the raiders cooked the books to keep them. We lost players. Some say this was the real catalyst for the super league war 4 years later

the cap will see to it
Of course it's all the roosters fault.

Any evidence of that public declaration? Remind me of the great gamut of raiders juniors the roosters have featured in 1st grade.

hahaha

oh
hes on holiday is he

jesus wept lol

Has he signed for the Titans on the beach yet?

...oh no, he seems to have agreed a reasonable settlement and will be moving back to the UK, because his pregnant missus wants to, even though he probably prefers to stay in the NRL: That’s what a real man does. Plastic macho posturers on the other hand leak info on their players to their mates in Newscorp media, causing a pile on from the donuts. Give your head a shake son - Sticky kills every team he puts together in the end

hrundi99

First Grade
haha

the cap will see to it

Raiders salary cap issue was relatively minor and based largely around having to outlay unexpected rep bonuses, It wasn't some sinister strategy like the Storm, etc.

Not sure why I've gone to the effort with this post...

Raiders salary cap issue was relatively minor and based largely around having to outlay unexpected rep bonuses, It wasn't some sinister strategy like the Storm, etc.

Not sure why I've gone to the effort with this post...
minor ?

hardly ,
while the monetary penalties may have been smallish , the players we were forced to shed as punishment had a big impact on our 1992 campaign.
the rep player payments etc played their part yes , but it wasn't until the super league war kicked off & the true reason the raiders rorting the cap was revealed. The Raiders were being attacked in the media & by the ARL for signing with the super league & I recall Les McIntyre sparking up stating if the establishment had agreed to protect clubs from being pillaged like the Raiders were going to be in 1991 then they may have stayed loyal. They were essentially told to bugger off my Arthurson & Quayle back then.

the Raiders stupidly rorted the cap.
But they had some justification at least.

It was 30 years ago , articles are hard to find

Last edited:
Has he signed for the Titans on the beach yet?

...oh no, he seems to have agreed a reasonable settlement and will be moving back to the UK, because his pregnant missus wants to, even though he probably prefers to stay in the NRL: That’s what a real man does. Plastic macho posturers on the other hand leak info on their players to their mates in Newscorp media, causing a pile on from the donuts. Give your head a shake son - Sticky kills every team he puts together in the end

but but but

I have mental health issues , im home sick

well not home sick enough to not park my fat pommy butt on a beach ..but yeah , real home sick

Of course it's all the roosters fault.

Any evidence of that public declaration? Remind me of the great gamut of raiders juniors the roosters have featured in 1st grade.
it was 30 years ago & articles are hard to find but it happened & the Roosters were at the centre of it as per usual of course. I'll keep looking , it fired up around the time the super league war kicked off in 95.

Thankfully of the players we were forced to shed you only got david barnhill & nigel gaffey so you got 2 of our handy forwards , the biggest loss for us were our 2 front rowers , Lazarus being one who went to the Broncos not the Roosters & of course he won comps with them in 1992 & 93

Legends

Juniors
Thankfully of the players we were forced to shed you only got david barnhill & nigel gaffey so you got 2 of our handy forwards , the biggest loss for us were our 2 front rowers , Lazarus being one who went to the Broncos not the Roosters & of course he won comps with them in 1992 & 93

David Barnhill went to the Dragons from Canberra in 1992. He ended up at the Roosters in 1996. But go ahead, blame the Roosters for your salary cap rort.

Latest posts