What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Black Magik

Juniors
Brent Read seems to suggest in his column yesterday Capewell was favoured to re-sign with us for a further year until the Cowboys came in with their high offer. Now he could be leaving.
He also mentioned because Origin was played at the end of last year the player's bonuses are on this year's cap. Causing us more pain.
This years SOO bonus looking likely to be $400 to $450K means one player will have to go.

martielang

Bench
We should look at seeing what we can get for Kikau and giving Capewell a 2 year deal

Kiks not playing his best at the moment but that'd be suicide IMO. I still have Kiks as a crucial part of the team. We'd also be left with no elite backrowers in two years given Capewells made it very clear he'll be going back to Qld sooner rather than later.

What would you be prepared to pay Kiks to stay on?

Smug Panther

First Grade
Kiks not playing his best at the moment but that'd be suicide IMO. I still have Kiks as a crucial part of the team. We'd also be left with no elite backrowers in two years given Capewells made it very clear he'll be going back to Qld sooner rather than later.

What would you be prepared to pay Kiks to stay on?
At his best id pay 700k I guess. Trouble is I think he's peaked as a backrower. Some hopeless club like Wests or Dogs will throw a million at him

Kilkenny

Coach
He is a bit of an enigma our Billy Kikau. He is actually more dangerous on the attacking plays when he doesn’t get the ball, but the defensive line thinks he is and they commit to him. He just seems to cough up possession at the wrong time or get caught out defensively a little to often for my liking. i just wonder whether during this difficult next few weeks whether it could be worth just experimenting with him through the middle.

murraymob

Coach
Any suggestion on who the front rower we will sign could be.We know he will be low budget playing nsw cup .we could promote from with in but is there anyone decent who has not got a promotion the last few weeks

age.s

First Grade
Kikau has lost something physically. He's a yard or so slower and hits the line with a bit less venom, making him easier to deal with, particularly when going low. Notice how often commentators now marvel at some small half making an important tackle on him. Injury is the most likely cause, he certainly seems to be putting in (see game saving tackle vs Storm).

His body giving him less is probably a factor in some of the other problems in his game. He has a freakish offload, but now he's looking too hard for it, causing his ball security to worsen. Pushing harder increases fatigue which leads to defensive lapses.

I wouldn't write him off. Could be an ongoing niggle that clears up, bringing him back to his best. If not he moves to the middle and changes his game up, but I dont think he's worth Taumalolo money there. 700k might even be a stretch.

martielang

Bench
First month of this season though he was arguably playing better than he ever has. Easily forgotten after a month of so-so performances. As long as he's firing at the back end of the year that works for me/us.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yet we have some in here who believe the more Origin players we have, the better. I'd much prefer a few key players with the rest being 'underrated'.

What is better. paying overs on a player potentially playing Origin? Or giving them a $50k hit once they do? The club keeps cap space spare for such an occasion

This will be a one time hit but Martin in particular will come back a better player.

Kilkenny

Coach
First month of this season though he was arguably playing better than he ever has. Easily forgotten after a month of so-so performances. As long as he's firing at the back end of the year that works for me/us.
For whatever reason he has been a little underwhelming but I agree we need him at his best so hopefully he gets back to his best in the second half of the season.

DinkyDi

Juniors
So the cowboys are the latest club hoping the lure Capewell. Old news I know.

Kurt Capewell‘s trip to Townsville to represent the Maroons on Wednesday night has doubled as a chance to tour North Queensland‘s training facilities.

The off-contract Panther has received strong interest from both the Cowboys and their Queensland rivals the Broncos this season, with the 27-year-old yet to decide on his future.

As reported by The Courier Mail, Capewell toured the Cowboys’ first-class training base this week, while the Panthers remain keen on retaining their Origin-calibre second-rower.
https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/kurt-capewell/?spotlight
Unless the Broncos can return with an offer that will blow Capewell’s party out of the water, his decision currently lies between Townsville and Penrith, with one move returning him to his home state, and the other more promising to deliver premiership success.

The Panthers remain the fancied side to take out the 2021 premiership, with Capewell potentially holding off on a decision until after the season and could ride the club’s dominant run before making a call in October.

Capewell was the Maroons‘ only try-scorer in their 50-6 thrashing at the hands of the Blues, and will be handed some much needed rest from the Panthers’ clash with Cronulla this weekend before Origin II.

Capewell has played just the 19 games for the Panthers since defecting from Cronulla at the end of the 2019 season, where he played 64 matches across four seasons.

Kilkenny

Coach
Unless the offer from the Cowboys is a very good one, I think Capewell could be better off signing a 1 year deal with us and waiting for the new Brisbane side in 2023 where he would almost certainly we well rewarded with a long term deal on more money. I don’t think the Broncos have the money realistically to sign Capewell.

Panther79

Juniors
Would rather keep Capewell then Kikau. Not sure what is going on but everytime he gets the ball, it seems like he tries too much and drops it, especially on sweeps out wide. Should just grab the ball and run hard. Especially would not like to pay overs for him, think he is on the decline and would be happy if we used the cash elsewhere so someone more consistent.