What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Is Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLM01

First Grade
Waiting for Mary to come out in the media and take credit for supporting him and how Jack has come back, stayed fit and adjusted to the current speed of the game
Wonder if Jack even replied to his text message

Gareth67

First Grade
Had my doubts about ‘ Jack the Knife ‘ , but hasn’t the man played well . It appears that his previous injuries are behind him and the way that he puts everything into the game is a credit to him - the Dragons need more like him .

getsmarty

Immortal

NRL should pay Jack de Belin’s wage, says Dragons sponsor​

Danny Weidler

By Danny Weidler

June 6, 2021 — 5.00am

Dragons jersey sponsor Norm Black has called on the NRL to give clubs financial relief and pay banned players directly if they are sidelined under the game’s controversial no-fault stand-down policy.
Black also wants the NRL to reimburse the Dragons for at least some of Jack de Belin’s salary while he was out and says that payments to banned players should not impact on a club’s salary cap from the moment a player is stood down.
Long-awaited return: Jack de Belin leaves the field at Kogarah on Thursday night. Dragons sponsor Norm Black says the NRL should repay the club for at least some of de Belin’s wages while he was stood down.

Long-awaited return: Jack de Belin leaves the field at Kogarah on Thursday night. Dragons sponsor Norm Black says the NRL should repay the club for at least some of de Belin’s wages while he was stood down. Credit:Getty
“At the very least you would expect a reimbursement to the club from the NRL as a goodwill gesture and to set up a pathway for how they deal with the rule in the future without handicapping the clubs,” Black said.
The NSW Director of Public Prosecutions dropped sexual assault charges against de Belin on May 27, bringing to an end a two-year legal battle.

Speaking after de Belin returned to the NRL on Thursday night at Jubilee Oval, Black hit out at the game’s leaders.
“The rule needs a total rethink from the powerbrokers and I think I can speak with some authority as someone who sponsors clubs,” Black, the founder and managing director of TripADeal, and sponsor of St George Illawarra and Manly, said.
He said the NRL had effectively punished de Belin three times.
An emotional Jack de Belin celebrates his comeback with family.

An emotional Jack de Belin celebrates his comeback with family.Credit:Getty Images
“The first thing I want to say is that a lot of people have been hurt through this and we can’t forget that,” Black said. “I don’t want to appear heartless when I make this into a matter purely about football, but that’s where I am coming from. The club had to spend a seven-figure amount to keep Jack paid and that’s not fair – especially in this case as there was no rule when his issue arose and then it was brought in.

“That is not fair on the club. They are paying a player to sit around. It’s the NRL’s rule, let them cover the cost. The club is then penalised again by having to put the player in the salary cap. I’m aware the club eventually got partial salary cap dispensation, [but] that only meant the club had to find more money to play another player on top of Jack’s wage. This just adds to the financial punishment. That’s the second punishment and it’s a double hit because you can’t spend that money on another player when you have lost your player.

“In Jack’s case, we lost a genuine star – arguably our best player. As soon as a player is in the situation Jack was he should be off the cap. It was a devastating blow football-wise.
“And the third punishment is to the team and fans for not having a player to play with and cheer for. Having seen what it did to the Dragons club – I’m only speaking on football terms – and to bosses at the club and to the coach of the team, the system as it is now is wrong and unfair on the club, players who lose their teammate and their fans. It has to change. As it is there is a presumption of guilt, not innocence, and that’s wrong.“
The Dragons got full salary cap relief on de Belin’s vastly reduced contract from November until May.

Black also said he had no reason to defend his decision to be de Belin’s personal game sponsor.
“The club needed someone to be Jack’s game-day sponsor and they asked me,” he said. “I don’t see why I would not do it. When they came to me I had no hesitation at all. He is part of the team and should be viewed no differently to any other player taking the field. He has been through a rigorous court process and from now on should only be judged on his performance on the field. That’s my strong belief.”

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Danny Weidler

By Danny Weidler

June 6, 2021 — 5.00am

Dragons jersey sponsor Norm Black has called on the NRL to give clubs financial relief and pay banned players directly if they are sidelined under the game’s controversial no-fault stand-down policy.
Black also wants the NRL to reimburse the Dragons for at least some of Jack de Belin’s salary while he was out and says that payments to banned players should not impact on a club’s salary cap from the moment a player is stood down.
Long-awaited return: Jack de Belin leaves the field at Kogarah on Thursday night. Dragons sponsor Norm Black says the NRL should repay the club for at least some of de Belin’s wages while he was stood down.

Long-awaited return: Jack de Belin leaves the field at Kogarah on Thursday night. Dragons sponsor Norm Black says the NRL should repay the club for at least some of de Belin’s wages while he was stood down. Credit:Getty
“At the very least you would expect a reimbursement to the club from the NRL as a goodwill gesture and to set up a pathway for how they deal with the rule in the future without handicapping the clubs,” Black said.
The NSW Director of Public Prosecutions dropped sexual assault charges against de Belin on May 27, bringing to an end a two-year legal battle.

Speaking after de Belin returned to the NRL on Thursday night at Jubilee Oval, Black hit out at the game’s leaders.
“The rule needs a total rethink from the powerbrokers and I think I can speak with some authority as someone who sponsors clubs,” Black, the founder and managing director of TripADeal, and sponsor of St George Illawarra and Manly, said.

An emotional Jack de Belin celebrates his comeback with family.Credit:Getty Images
“The first thing I want to say is that a lot of people have been hurt through this and we can’t forget that,” Black said. “I don’t want to appear heartless when I make this into a matter purely about football, but that’s where I am coming from. The club had to spend a seven-figure amount to keep Jack paid and that’s not fair – especially in this case as there was no rule when his issue arose and then it was brought in.

“That is not fair on the club. They are paying a player to sit around. It’s the NRL’s rule, let them cover the cost. The club is then penalised again by having to put the player in the salary cap. I’m aware the club eventually got partial salary cap dispensation, [but] that only meant the club had to find more money to play another player on top of Jack’s wage. This just adds to the financial punishment. That’s the second punishment and it’s a double hit because you can’t spend that money on another player when you have lost your player.

“In Jack’s case, we lost a genuine star – arguably our best player. As soon as a player is in the situation Jack was he should be off the cap. It was a devastating blow football-wise.
“And the third punishment is to the team and fans for not having a player to play with and cheer for. Having seen what it did to the Dragons club – I’m only speaking on football terms – and to bosses at the club and to the coach of the team, the system as it is now is wrong and unfair on the club, players who lose their teammate and their fans. It has to change. As it is there is a presumption of guilt, not innocence, and that’s wrong.“
The Dragons got full salary cap relief on de Belin’s vastly reduced contract from November until May.

Black also said he had no reason to defend his decision to be de Belin’s personal game sponsor.
“The club needed someone to be Jack’s game-day sponsor and they asked me,” he said. “I don’t see why I would not do it. When they came to me I had no hesitation at all. He is part of the team and should be viewed no differently to any other player taking the field. He has been through a rigorous court process and from now on should only be judged on his performance on the field. That’s my strong belief.”

That should bring an end to the rumours about sponsors leaving Saints because of JDB. What a myth that was.

BLM01

First Grade
That should bring an end to the rumours about sponsors leaving Saints because of JDB. What a myth that was.
And the NRL's part of their argument to the courts I think, was that they too were potentially going to lose sponsors if they did nothing. I am not sure which ones they were?.
But they will say because we stood him down, we lost no sponsors!
That now can never be proven either way.

SnowDragon

Juniors
There was an interesting article in SMH (see below)

I really like the approach of our sponsor in calling out the NRL on this issue publicly. Sure it’s a complex issue, but many agree with his POV, and somebody needed to say this stuff (since the club isn’t )

Well done Norm Black.1622969776514.jpeg1622969776539.jpeg

by Danny Weidler, smh.com.au
June 5, 2021 02:00 PM
1622969776514.jpeg
Long-awaited return: Jack de Belin leaves the field at Kogarah on Thursday night. Dragons sponsor Norm Black says the NRL should repay the club for at least some of de Belin’s wages while he was stood down. Credit:GettyPhoto by: Getty

1622969776539.jpeg
Photo by: Getty Images

kit66

Bench
With JDB back we finally have a pack I'm happy with. Hook may have a bit of a selection problem when everyone's fit and no suspensions holding us back. Kerr might end up back in the prop rotation with Fui in the back row and JDB and McGuire in the lock rotation. Or McGuire to prop maybe. Actually a lock rotation of Jack and Fui could make oppositions nervous and bruised.

8. McGuire
9. McC
10, Vaughan
11. Kerr
12. Sims
13. JDB

14. Fui
15. Lawrie
16. Alvaro / Poasa
17. Amone / Williame

18. Burns / Ford

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
With JDB back we finally have a pack I'm happy with. Hook may have a bit of a selection problem when everyone's fit and no suspensions holding us back. Kerr might end up back in the prop rotation with Fui in the back row and JDB and McGuire in the lock rotation. Or McGuire to prop maybe. Actually a lock rotation of Jack and Fui could make oppositions nervous and bruised.

8. McGuire
9. McC
10, Vaughan
11. Kerr
12. Sims
13. JDB

14. Fui
15. Lawrie
16. Alvaro / Poasa
17. Amone / Williame

18. Burns / Ford
I like this forward pack plus bench. I would swap a few players however. I am impressed with the progress Fui has made and would start him in Kerr's place. Also, Poasa over Alvaro anytime, and Amone over Williame just to make sure he gets a lot of FG experience. It is a good pack with its fair share of mongrel.

kit66

Bench
I like this forward pack plus bench. I would swap a few players however. I am impressed with the progress Fui has made and would start him in Kerr's place. Also, Poasa over Alvaro anytime, and Amone over Williame just to make sure he gets a lot of FG experience. It is a good pack with its fair share of mongrel.
I agree on Amone, keep giving him a run, we might need him if Hunt plays SOO II and III and to cover for injury / suspension later in the year not to mention replacing Norman.
I like Fui in the middle hitting hard but he's an option wider if Kerr doesn't sharpen his skills - I've said it before too that Kerr could hit the line a lot harder than he does considering his size but that also has to do with our halves getting him running at smaller guys out wide and giving him the ball at the right time - yo get some tips off Dufty.
For some weird reason whenever Po and Alvaro are on the ground at the same time they suddenly lift and play really well together, nice short passes and backing each other up.
Someone I left out off the bench was Sullivan, I'm hoping to see him in action this year, surely he's close to a start in the 17. I notice our Reserves are playing better with him back in the team.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

8. McGuire
9. McC
10, Vaughan
11. Kerr
12. Sims
13. JDB

14. Fui
15. Lawrie
16. Alvaro / Poasa
17. Amone / Williame

18. Burns / Ford
Bird for Kerr in the second row for me. Bird makes it happen and gives us better shape; I’d keep him there.

randomdragon

Juniors
Gee all the news on de belin and all the fan hate really died down… so many people on here calling for his head now everyone loves him again

Status
Not open for further replies.