What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PAUL MCGREGOR SAYS JACK DE BELIN SAGA COST HIM DRAGONS JOB

blacksafake

First Grade
Mary's way of thinking.

First he inherited a mess from Price, then the players weren't performing, then he didn't have the team he wanted, then his assistant coaches were all inept, then player X got injured, then player X got suspended then the pandemic struck, then new rules impacted his game plan, then origin ruined his season .... And then.
He finally got punted 😁

Gareth67

First Grade
69FBF69A-09AC-4CB4-AE04-046A7815B345.jpeg
“ Geezes H Churst ! I have had a gut full of you blokes and your constant whining. So you are all as happy as hogs in the proverbial eh , cause that mug Griffo stole my game plan from the paint shed at WIN stadium for the semi final against the broncs in 2018 and as a result you won Thursday’s nights game . “
“ Well I have locked my whiteboard away now so he won’t be able to steal any more off my great attacking plans .Anyway I have better things to do , preparing my Baby Blues squad for origin - now what did I do with my orange peeler . . . ?

Last edited:

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
What part of this is “funny”?

I get people don’t rate McGregor as a coach.

Personally I agree with his sentiments here. I strongly believe the club did the right thing in handling it but it had an adverse effect on the club as a whole. His idea about the NRL paying a salary while standing down a person who has not been found guilty of anything had merit, as unlikely as it will ever be of happening.

In 2018 we were absolutely flying early in the year. I went to the Storm game at kogarah to watch us emphatically beat the Storm. On the noisy hill it was blatantly apparent who our leaders on the field were. James Graham, Gareth Widdop and Jack De Belin. It was the voices of these 3 guys who were barking all game. The sargeants leading the soldiers.

By origin time we’d lost Widdop and de Belin was busted, playing with a mattress under his jersey. We stumbled into the semis and should have been in the prelim if Ah Mau held the ball.

Then 2019 we lose De Belin - stood down. Widdop was leaving at the end of the season and busted his shoulder again... missing most of the season. The season was a disaster and in my opinion it’s because 2 of our leaders were gone. Only Jimmy Graham was the other natural leader in that team, but at the end of his career and playing smaller minutes.

I believe if we had both De Belin and Widdop didn’t miss 2018/19 as they did... it’d be a completely different story. And even today...

It’s relatively early days for Griffin but he’s not proving any better than Paul McGregor just yet for mine.

Do I agree De Belin being out cost him his job?

I reckon that, plus the loss of Widdop did. However the club failed in its roster management to make up for/replace leaders like these guys were. Just my opinion.
Absolute rubbish.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Mary's way of thinking.

First he inherited a mess from Price, then the players weren't performing, then he didn't have the team he wanted, then his assistant coaches were all inept, then player X got injured, then player X got suspended then the pandemic struck, then new rules impacted his game plan, then origin ruined his season .... And then.

He's the unluckiest coach in history and the club had the same thought for a long time.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
What part of this is “funny”?

I get people don’t rate McGregor as a coach.

Personally I agree with his sentiments here. I strongly believe the club did the right thing in handling it but it had an adverse effect on the club as a whole. His idea about the NRL paying a salary while standing down a person who has not been found guilty of anything had merit, as unlikely as it will ever be of happening.

In 2018 we were absolutely flying early in the year. I went to the Storm game at kogarah to watch us emphatically beat the Storm. On the noisy hill it was blatantly apparent who our leaders on the field were. James Graham, Gareth Widdop and Jack De Belin. It was the voices of these 3 guys who were barking all game. The sargeants leading the soldiers.

By origin time we’d lost Widdop and de Belin was busted, playing with a mattress under his jersey. We stumbled into the semis and should have been in the prelim if Ah Mau held the ball.

Then 2019 we lose De Belin - stood down. Widdop was leaving at the end of the season and busted his shoulder again... missing most of the season. The season was a disaster and in my opinion it’s because 2 of our leaders were gone. Only Jimmy Graham was the other natural leader in that team, but at the end of his career and playing smaller minutes.

I believe if we had both De Belin and Widdop didn’t miss 2018/19 as they did... it’d be a completely different story. And even today...

It’s relatively early days for Griffin but he’s not proving any better than Paul McGregor just yet for mine.

Do I agree De Belin being out cost him his job?

I reckon that, plus the loss of Widdop did. However the club failed in its roster management to make up for/replace leaders like these guys were. Just my opinion.
I admire your courage to write such a thing in this forum.

I admire your courage to write such a thing in this forum.

No courage needed mate, I just stand by my own opinion is all and I like reading opinions of others.

I'm not naive to think most would agree with me on this, nor expect people to. In dialogue with R&W Till I Die earlier in the thread and even though we don't agree - it's great insightful chat. Then at the other end of the scale you get chat like zombie-bollocks earlier.

The_Frog

First Grade
The fact that Mary wasn't happy with the stand down policy where we had to continue payment of De Belin's salary out of our cap when the NRL should have done this because they set the policy and it wasn't the Dragons fault, was and remains a very sticky point.
This is a good point. Standing a player down to avoid bad press to the sport is fair enough, but they should give the club some discount for it, even if not the full amount.

hewi

Bench
I watched the talking parrot ( Alan Jones) talking about Malcolm Turnbull this morning and then it hit me he could have been talking about the peanut. Both are totally incapable of admitting they are wrong and always have an excuse for their own short comings.

hewi

Bench
So if something good and sensible is said by some one you like that’s ok but if the same message is delivered by some one you don’t like then it’s no good.