What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Mr Spock!

Referee
Getting rid of Dufty would be like getting rid of Phil Blake.

Phil Blake wasn't a good defender but he had the X factor which the game needs.

Lockyer wasn't a great defender either.

The game needs duftys.

As an opposition fan, watching Ramsay at fullback last week was just Meh. Nothing to worry about, his hair will get in his eyes. .

Dufty, however, is a real handful and a worry for other teams.

Nicholas Kosic

Juniors
Getting rid of Dufty would be like getting rid of Phil Blake.

Phil Blake wasn't a good defender but he had the X factor which the game needs.

Lockyer wasn't a great defender either.

The game needs duftys.

As an opposition fan, watching Ramsay at fullback last week was just Meh. Nothing to worry about, his hair will get in his eyes. .

Dufty, however, is a real handful and a worry for other teams.
We had Phil Blake play for us when his day was done.....not much has changed.

True_Believer

Juniors
Why do some people think Hook is “dead set” against retaining Dufty

You don’t know what efforts have been made to get to an understanding and the simple fact could be that after the inability of either side to give ground as to what is acceptable to them it was agreed that it is in everyone’s best interests to part company.

The club and coach are allowed to say “no” and it is not entirely their fault if agreements can’t be concluded.

It is not incumbent on the club to acquiesce to players demands regardless of how good the highlights real looks.

It is us the fans that have unrealistic expectations due to us falling in love with certain players.

Agreed OT.

Some of the posts regarding Hook in here are bizarre to say the least. Massive rants about his ability as a coach (half way through his first season with us mind you) based partly on a decision not to retain a player that, in most peoples eyes, does have obvious deficiencies in his game.

As you say though, there's nothing to say that Hook wants to get rid of him, there are many factors that could be contributing to this.

And I also agree with the comment around us having the expectations based on our preferences towards certain players. I have had disagreements with a number of people in here regarding my opinions on certain players both in and outside of the team. People tend to overlook their deficiencies if they see them as their favourite players or see them play well for a couple of games. I do it with the players I like and you've done it in the past as well. I think that is human nature but we do need to remove those rose colour glasses at times and acknowledge that sometimes our favourite players may not be the right fit for the team going forward (where is Gitano these days anyway?)

Old Timer

Coach
Manly g
We had Phil Blake play for us when his day was done.....not much has changed.
Manly got rid of Blake when he was at the pinnacle of his “individual” powers

The reason given by Bozo was that Blake was too much of an individual and not what the “team” needed which many Manly supporters got up in arms about.

After leaving Manly Blake never regained those attributes that made him a fan favourite and he went on to become a real journeyman with intermittent displays of “individual” brilliance.

Looks like Hook is on the same page as Bozo

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Agreed OT.

Some of the posts regarding Hook in here are bizarre to say the least. Massive rants about his ability as a coach (half way through his first season with us mind you) based partly on a decision not to retain a player that, in most peoples eyes, does have obvious deficiencies in his game.

As you say though, there's nothing to say that Hook wants to get rid of him, there are many factors that could be contributing to this.

And I also agree with the comment around us having the expectations based on our preferences towards certain players. I have had disagreements with a number of people in here regarding my opinions on certain players both in and outside of the team. People tend to overlook their deficiencies if they see them as their favourite players or see them play well for a couple of games. I do it with the players I like and you've done it in the past as well. I think that is human nature but we do need to remove those rose colour glasses at times and acknowledge that sometimes our favourite players may not be the right fit for the team going forward (where is Gitano these days anyway?)
I may be one of the "ranters" whom you are referring to.

IMO, there are a number of puzzling and maybe even disturbing elements to the whole Dufty saga.

Firstly, there is the divisiveness of the whole issue. This club is already struggling with crowd numbers and associated financial issues (memberships etc) and has been for a number of years during the lost years under Mary. I can't remember the last 5 figure crowd either at WIN or Kogarah. We can't afford to keep alienating fans with dumb decisions (eg why couldn't Dufty be offered and then retained in another position such as 5/8 or dummy half where his obvious talents could still be used) and I would also argue- poor communication- where is Webb in all of this?

Secondly, there is the Norman issue. Dufty may be rocks and diamonds- but at least he is a an occasional match winner. Norman, is virtually never a diamond (with the possible exception of the Brisbane game) - lazy, goes missing, no pace, no line breaking ability, poor defence but still on on massive money and there is no move by Hook to drop him or make a call on his future. Given Hook's well publicised connection with the ex Bronco players, prima facie, it smacks of favouritism.

And finally, if Dufty is out of favour for whatever reason, why hasn't the club been more proactive to sign a replacement? If Ramsey was the answer, doesn't it follow he would be given an extended run in the position? But, no-Dufty is selected. The logical conclusion is that SGI doesn't have a ready made internal replacement for Dufty. So why then didn't we pursue an external option- Nicho Hynes, a better overall player than Dufty? It doesn't pass the pub test of common sense.

As someone has already posted, the issue is partially Hook but goes way beyond him to the so-called "brains trust"- the Board and its recruitment and retention staff- and their ineffectuality.

boardlumps62

Juniors

IMO, there are a number of puzzling and maybe even disturbing elements to the whole Dufty saga.

Firstly, there is the divisiveness of the whole issue. This club is already struggling with crowd numbers and associated financial issues (memberships etc) and has been for a number of years during the lost years under Mary. I can't remember the last 5 figure crowd either at WIN or Kogarah. We can't afford to keep alienating fans with dumb decisions (eg why couldn't Dufty be offered and then retained in another position such as 5/8 or dummy half where his obvious talents could still be used) and I would also argue- poor communication- where is Webb in all of this?

Secondly, there is the Norman issue. Dufty may be rocks and diamonds- but at least he is a an occasional match winner. Norman, is virtually never a diamond (with the possible exception of the Brisbane game) - lazy, goes missing, no pace, no line breaking ability, poor defence but still on on massive money and there is no move by Hook to drop him or make a call on his future. Given Hook's well publicised connection with the ex Bronco players, prima facie, it smacks of favouritism.

And finally, if Dufty is out of favour for whatever reason, why hasn't the club been more proactive to sign a replacement? If Ramsey was the answer, doesn't it follow he would be given an extended run in the position? But, no-Dufty is selected. The logical conclusion is that SGI doesn't have a ready made internal replacement for Dufty. So why then didn't we pursue an external option- Nicho Hynes, a better overall player than Dufty? It doesn't pass the pub test of common sense.

As someone has already posted, the issue is partially Hook but goes way beyond him to the so-called "brains trust"- the Board and its recruitment and retention staff- and their ineffectuality.
Should we the Fans expect Webb (he is CEO isn't he) to tell us the problem. I can't figure it Hook keeps selecting The Duff so what's that telling us. Matt must have wind of all the support from Fans and the petition surely he has friends within this forum that tell him what's going on. I'm surprised he has dropped his bundle and told the Dragons take a hike. Must love the place a lot to keep playing unlike what Norman does playing Mr Cool. See how Duff goes this week.

True_Believer

Juniors

Divisiveness? So because the fans see something in a player, the coach/club/staff should listen to them and keep him? There's always going to be situations like this. Especially when the fans don't know the full picture - what's going on at training? What's being said behind closed doors? Has Hook been trying to coach Dufty but his attitude is creating problems? Are there other issues with Dufty we don't know about? Is his asking price too high and he won't come down? Can you answer any or all of that? These are the questions that we'll never know the answers to. And as an "employer" it makes sense that club aren't airing this in public.

Not to mention the media loves a good drama and will spin any old shite to get clicks. Afterall, we are the largest supporter base in the game so any inkling of something going on in our club is bound to get them going. I also get the feeling that the media is not a fan of Hook for some reason so is happy to cause drama to try and upset him.

There's already been indications that Dufty's attitude may be the issue - the cut out passes comment, the run in with Jammer, the lack of progress in the "finer points" of being a fullback. At least to me, it all points to not being a team player and an inability to follow instructions.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Divisiveness? So because the fans see something in a player, the coach/club/staff should listen to them and keep him? There's always going to be situations like this. Especially when the fans don't know the full picture - what's going on at training? What's being said behind closed doors? Has Hook been trying to coach Dufty but his attitude is creating problems? Are there other issues with Dufty we don't know about? Is his asking price too high and he won't come down? Can you answer any or all of that? These are the questions that we'll never know the answers to. And as an "employer" it makes sense that club aren't airing this in public.

Not to mention the media loves a good drama and will spin any old shite to get clicks. Afterall, we are the largest supporter base in the game so any inkling of something going on in our club is bound to get them going. I also get the feeling that the media is not a fan of Hook for some reason so is happy to cause drama to try and upset him.

There's already been indications that Dufty's attitude may be the issue - the cut out passes comment, the run in with Jammer, the lack of progress in the "finer points" of being a fullback. At least to me, it all points to not being a team player and an inability to follow instructions.
I made three points-you responded to one. Divisiveness is an issue at the Dragons- a major wedge was driven between fans and the club with the re-appointment of Mary, and, also I believe the quality of our recruitment and retention going back some time now. Fans have voted with their feet.

Dufty threatens to be another wedge issue, as I argued, because of the puzzling and contrary actions of the club in relation to him and Norman. If Dufty has a poor attititude, get rid of him- Canberra will take him for the rest of 2021 at least. If we have an internal long-term replacement for Dufty in mind such as Ramsey, pick him and show some faith. If we don't have an internal replacement for Dufty in mind, go to the market after someone like Hynes.

We've done none of these. We don't have to air our dirty washing and get into chapter and verse of the problems between Dufty and the club but the club does need to explain what at the moment doesn't make any sense.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think it is known as "double speak".
The club want their cake and eat it too! There is no humble pie available at the moment.

There is just no-one yet within the Dragons system that anyone in recruitment/retention can say as the person who will be stepping into the No.1 position of first grade. There are a number so say members on this forum, but at this time, in my opinion are too raw to play first grade. That is why Dufty is still the No.1.

There must be someone outside that they have been talking about/to and are waiting to announce this when we are least expecting it as they have been doing with signings in the past.

For all we know, it could be Israel Folau!!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I
I have a feeling this is on the cards and it's really not a comparison of Duff v Norman.

Hook may keep Norman gor an extra year simply due to the fact the ready made replacement isn't perceived to be ready. And yes I'm referring to Bud here. Bud hardly played last year, and this year has been out with injury most of the time. What about Amone you might say? Well I think there are other plans for him other than in the halves. Hence, I think a 1yr extension could happen.

But, hey, just my opinion. In any case I think Bud, with a good pre-season, would rip it up next year anyway, Norman or no Norman.
Is Bud injured again? He can’t catch a break this year. He has such an opportunity this year too to have a few runs in FG. I reckon Hunt may sneak into game 2.