What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

True_Believer

Juniors
I made three points-you responded to one. Divisiveness is an issue at the Dragons- a major wedge was driven between fans and the club with the re-appointment of Mary, and, also I believe the quality of our recruitment and retention going back some time now. Fans have voted with their feet.

Dufty threatens to be another wedge issue, as I argued, because of the puzzling and contrary actions of the club in relation to him and Norman. If Dufty has a poor attititude, get rid of him- Canberra will take him for the rest of 2021 at least. If we have an internal long-term replacement for Dufty in mind such as Ramsey, pick him and show some faith. If we don't have an internal replacement for Dufty in mind, go to the market after someone like Hynes.

We've done none of these. We don't have to air our dirty washing and get into chapter and verse of the problems between Dufty and the club but the club does need to explain what at the moment doesn't make any sense.
Mary is gone - people need to get over it. If you can't see we are heading in a better direction then that's your problem. Recruitment and retention, IMO has been better since Hook came on board. Again, if you think it isn't, that's your opinion. What's the indicator that the fans have voted with their feet? I haven't seen anything to indicate that this year at all. In fact, I would say this year has been far more positive than the previous 2 or 3 years. I'd argue that things are looking up.

Why do we need to get rid of Dufty? Because you said so? Because the media said so? Why is it puzzling that we continue to play a player leaving the club in his normal position? It's not like we haven't done that before. Hell we continued to play Saab on the wing even after we forced him to stay at the club when he didn't want to be here. We've done it many times throughout the years. Why would this be any different? Just because people think getting rid of Dufty is an issue? Why didn't we remove Morris from the wing when he was leaving? Was that a puzzling and contrary action? Did we go straight to the market to get someone to replace him? Other clubs do it all the time as well. It's nothing new.

And who is to say we haven't been speaking to someone but don't have the deal finalised at the moment? It's only half way through the year. It's not like we need someone in there tomorrow. That would make the most sense given we've told external parties Dufty isn't available until the end of the year.

Seriously, we get a new coach, who is renowned for developing juniors and we bitch about it. Even after moaning for the last 2 years that we aren't bringing through our juniors. Looking for instant success. Good luck with that.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
It's still the "what-if" situation. What if he had of been coached properly? We could all see his limitations (and exceptional attacking skill set) and knew he had to get better under the high ball, better defensively (perhaps the limitation with bringing the ball back could not be solved). What if he had of had Bellamy, Bennett, Hasler etc as his coach? Instead we had that piece of rubbish as the coach and we see the likes of Garrick, Saab etc being coached properly and flourishing. And Dufty probably now will never overcome his deficiencies. Man o man...what a disaster the McGregor years were. A bloke at work mentioned his name today and I bristled and told him that "McGregor is the worst thing to have happened to us in 50 years". An abomination. And he still claiming the "victim" mantle. The contempt I feel for the "man" knows no limitations.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The club want their cake and eat it too! There is no humble pie available at the moment.

There is just no-one yet within the Dragons system that anyone in recruitment/retention can say as the person who will be stepping into the No.1 position of first grade. There are a number so say members on this forum, but at this time, in my opinion are too raw to play first grade. That is why Dufty is still the No.1.

There must be someone outside that they have been talking about/to and are waiting to announce this when we are least expecting it as they have been doing with signings in the past.

For all we know, it could be Israel Folau!!

I'll assume you're being facetious about Folau DD-from what I've heard, even if he was acceptable to play, he's not the player he was. Milford's name keeps coming up in despatches but I don't want to even think about that possibility. For mine, Hynes was easily the best available NRL ready candidate for our job- everybody else like Milford and Dallin WZ are likely to be other club's discards.

hewi

Bench
Here is one from left field. We are ok for centre’s now with Williame, Beale, Bird and the Fegai boys so what chance is there that Lomax might get a run at fullback again?

I have a lot of time for Gus. I know many don't..

But I remember clear as day last season when the McGregor coaching situation flared up again for about the 137th time.. He said both on his podcast and on 100% Footy..

"Changing the coach won't solve the issues at the Dragons".

So far, he's proven right.
Can't agree with this. We had no attacking structure and now we do. We used the bench terribly, not anymore. Juniors were blocked by favourites, not now. Hunt was rubbish now very good.

Gould is a fat obnoxious toad.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Hewi, I continue to be confused about Lomax. Much (as in MUCH) better judges then me think the world of him. Have a look at the elite NSW centres last night (and they are both full-backs). Can we see Lomax getting anywhere near that standard? Maybe (and I hope so); but I haven't even seen signs of that yet. Maybe still early days.

hewi

Bench
Hewi, I continue to be confused about Lomax. Much (as in MUCH) better judges then me think the world of him. Have a look at the elite NSW centres last night (and they are both full-backs). Can we see Lomax getting anywhere near that standard? Maybe (and I hope so); but I haven't even seen signs of that yet. Maybe still early days.

I can’t disagree with you, however he has height, he’s large physically and can defend , kicks goals and returns the ball well without been rag dolled. His passing game is nothing compared to Dufty but I can see some nice selection dilemmas come up over the next few weeks.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Can't agree with this. We had no attacking structure and now we do. We used the bench terribly, not anymore. Juniors were blocked by favourites, not now. Hunt was rubbish now very good.

Gould is a fat obnoxious toad.
That's not what I am seeing. No attacking structure unless Dufty is playing. Juniors blocked by senior ex-Brisbane players. Hunt was hot and cold and now still hot and cold.

Bench is used much better I'll give you that.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I think Amone has the jump on Sullivan doesn’t he? I’d love to see how he goes at 6.
Amone certainly does now given the injury’s to Bud. He’s been playing 13 in reserves though. It’s a shame because Sullivan would have a few under his belt by now with all the team injuries. This week would be perfect to give him a run.

cussy

Juniors
Sullivan has a broken toe.
I see Amone similar the Schuster. Ball playing lock or back rower. Just needs to fill out a little.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'll assume you're being facetious about Folau DD-from what I've heard, even if he was acceptable to play, he's not the player he was. Milford's name keeps coming up in despatches but I don't want to even think about that possibility. For mine, Hynes was easily the best available NRL ready candidate for our job- everybody else like Milford and Dallin WZ are likely to be other club's discards.

Yes I was facetious redandwhite4evr. I could have mentioned anyone but his name came to mind because he was someone they were looking at. I'm leaving this to rest now. Dufty going is firming and that will be that. I will wait for the announcement of his replacement in due course.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Mary is gone - people need to get over it. If you can't see we are heading in a better direction then that's your problem. Recruitment and retention, IMO has been better since Hook came on board. Again, if you think it isn't, that's your opinion. What's the indicator that the fans have voted with their feet? I haven't seen anything to indicate that this year at all. In fact, I would say this year has been far more positive than the previous 2 or 3 years. I'd argue that things are looking up.

Why do we need to get rid of Dufty? Because you said so? Because the media said so? Why is it puzzling that we continue to play a player leaving the club in his normal position? It's not like we haven't done that before. Hell we continued to play Saab on the wing even after we forced him to stay at the club when he didn't want to be here. We've done it many times throughout the years. Why would this be any different? Just because people think getting rid of Dufty is an issue? Why didn't we remove Morris from the wing when he was leaving? Was that a puzzling and contrary action? Did we go straight to the market to get someone to replace him? Other clubs do it all the time as well. It's nothing new.

And who is to say we haven't been speaking to someone but don't have the deal finalised at the moment? It's only half way through the year. It's not like we need someone in there tomorrow. That would make the most sense given we've told external parties Dufty isn't available until the end of the year.

Seriously, we get a new coach, who is renowned for developing juniors and we bitch about it. Even after moaning for the last 2 years that we aren't bringing through our juniors. Looking for instant success. Good luck with that.
You're partially right- we are mainly talking about opinions. But if you haven't noticed that our home crowd attendances - both at WIN and Kogarah- are poor, you're not looking hard enough.

I don't want Dufty to leave- I happen to think he's the guy who puts bums on seats and should be retained at 5/8 or off the bench as an impact player. However, atm, Hook has stated that the club is going in a different direction for 2022 and hasn't indicated there is that alternative role for Dufty. Danny Weidler and the media have added the speculation about an attitude problem which hasn't been denied by the club.

Who's the "someone" we're speaking to?- Milford?- we reportedly went in hard for Cobbo- and missed out- as we seem to miss out or pass on most good signings (Addo Carr, Burton etc). Yes, we have talented juniors in the wings and hopefully Hook will bring them through eventually - but we need NRL hardened players for key spine positions. Hynes was the only FB option who met that criterion on the market who was better overall than Dufty and we passed.

And finally, Saab didn't play NRL for the majority, and certainly, the end of last year with the Dragons.

rasaint

Juniors
Oh no not the Lomax fullback thing again. Zac is a very good goal kicker. Has made a couple of fabulous jump catches but drops then also, got away some nice flick passes but just as many go to ground. Rarely, breaks the line one on one. As a player is NRL standard average; after 3 years in the NRL he isn’t going to improve at all. Lacks dash for fullback. No more tough big slow pokes at the back please.

114 Pages of opinion and argument about Matt Dufty. At its heart I want Matt signed up even for only another year because I want a player in the Dragons who is a genuinely exciting. Someone who takes you out to a game or switch on the TV. Who gets you standing and heart racing as a long range try plays out. He has scored 44 NRL trys ( a couple incredible individual efforts/ even his first against Manly saw him go one way then another, break the line and hold out Tommy Turbo in a final sprint) and records plus 35 kph game speeds regularly.

Of course Matt has flaws. Small in size, he can get rag dolled. Catches ok but not great under high contested balls. Mostly tackles ok but not strongly. On occasion seems to lack urgency. He is not a ‘topline’ fullback ie Teddy, Turbo, Paps etc, but is almost unique in freakishness.Definitely has developed a sublime passing game, particularly this year.

There is no outside the Dragons club better fullback in background. I think the club was hoping internally Cody after the ‘not needed next year pow wow’ with Matt. Forget Cody as fullback NRL level. Maybe plan b is eggs in Tyrell Sloan basket, he maybe maybe not meet NRL standard. We will probably find out over next 18 months. unless Matt wants plus $ 500k a year give him another year, until this magic fullback appears.

AJB1102

First Grade
I have a lot of time for Gus. I know many don't..

But I remember clear as day last season when the McGregor coaching situation flared up again for about the 137th time.. He said both on his podcast and on 100% Footy..

"Changing the coach won't solve the issues at the Dragons".

So far, he's proven right.

He's also said a few times when asked about Dufty that "its not football related". Unfortunately he refuses to say more.

mickeylane

Bench
I still think we will have one of the below as our FB next year...
Mbye or Milford and possibly one of them as our 5/8...Hook was after Mbye and he's turning out to be a solid 5/8...Milford is a solid pre-season away from finding form...for FFS he was the most talented 20yo during 2015/2016 in the NRL - what went wrong after coincided w Broncos slide and Milfords inability to handle the pressure of the $1M price tag all under the scrutiny of the countries most scrutinized team - The Broncos.....I'm not writing off Milford not at 26...just look at what's happening w Bryce Cartwright this year w a change of scenery,...you wouldn't sign the merkin for $150K over the past 3 seasons and now he has 4 clubs after him including us!!.. Never underestimate a champion like Milford...Dufty has never been a champion heck he's not even rated in the top 10 FB in the NRL and that's while he's in hot form...Milford was rated in the top 3 players in world during 2015 let's not forget ....so if he's on his way I would not be spitting chips...how many of us were terrified of the Jack Bird signing this year...Id say 98% of us.....now look...

Latest posts