What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs South Sydney @ Stadium Australia

Who will win? Round 14: South Sydney v Newcastle

• South Sydney Rabbitohs 13+

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
It's going to be really interesting seeing how the Pearce/Clifford combo works.

We all can see we're a better off team letting Clifford get his kicks in and showing his variety - but the excitement can quickly come undone if Pearce overrides him and does the majority of kicks.
They both need to kick. You need 2 options, so that your main kicker doesn't get swamped (with the exception of world class halves like Johns, Thurston, Cronk - who could generally manage to do all the work). Pearce should be second fiddle with the boot, though - especially in the red zone.

GidleyTwinz

Juniors
Imagine a fair few will disagree, but if we're getting back the four blokes Adzy suggested at the presser, this team is going to look night and day even next week. We're lucky that we get to play a not very good Warriors team to go through structures etc.

It's one thing to criticise our shape and the lines we run, it's another to say that these things look bad because we're playing reserve graders and haven't been able to field two halves in the 6 and 7 literally all season. That actually matters quite a lot. I expect a very different look going forward.

We're not only adding 40-50% of the salary cap back into the team, but we're taking out players that are well off first grade standard (Hoy, Watson as a 6, Croker, whatever the Musgrove/Tuala wing mess is). We don't have the depth of the roosters, so player outs are more impactful, but so are player ins.

I went quite hard on us to make the 8 at 5:1 this week. Would be even more confident that posters on the various Knights forums are not baying for Adzy's job after a few weeks of operating closer to a competitive salary cap.

aqua_duck

Coach
Hoy doesn't lack effort. I just don't think he's cut out to play first grade.
A few others could learn from his commitment though.
I think half the season why he gets smashed is he just doesn't run the ball with any intent or conviction whatsoever, he loves the little shuffle, run side ways and doesn't fight at all in the tackle, I mean I'm not sure if I'd class that as commitment

GidleyTwinz

Juniors
I think half the season why he gets smashed is he just doesn't run the ball with any intent or conviction whatsoever, he loves the little shuffle, run side ways and doesn't fight at all in the tackle, I mean I'm not sure if I'd class that as commitment
Certain things that work in juniors don't work in first grade.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fullback get physically manhandled and driven backwards as often as Tex Hoy does on kick returns. He literally stunts our whole set of 6 from the get go. He also puts a massive hand break on our attack whenever he gets the ball. Not to mention have you ever seen a fullback drop so many high balls? He’s a career reserve grader at best.

I really hope that KP is back next week because I can’t take any more of Hoy’s ineptitude.

don’t think I’ve ever seen a fullback get physically manhandled and driven backwards as often as Tex Hoy does
Ponga cops it a bit but has the ability to break some. He also goes to ground a bit to avoid it. Sometimes Ponga goes to ground and jumps back up.
I hope we no longer need to discuss Hoy since he isn't there.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fullback get physically manhandled and driven backwards as often as Tex Hoy does on kick returns.
Going back a bit but Robbie O was small and got tossed around sometimes, but he brought so many other things to the team.

aqua_duck

Coach
Hoy isn't even that small, certainly bigger than Papenhuyzen, Laurie, Duffy, Kennedy, Campbell and Reece Walsh yet they don't seem to get driven back 10m ever kick return. His softness and completely lack of physicality us Jarrod Croker like

Jono078

Referee
Hoy isn't even that small, certainly bigger than Papenhuyzen, Laurie, Duffy, Kennedy, Campbell and Reece Walsh yet they don't seem to get driven back 10m ever kick return. His softness and completely lack of physicality us Jarrod Croker like
Jarrod Croker has the physicality of a wet paper bag, but comparing Hoy's physicality to him is insulting to Croker.

Knight Tales

Juniors
To me Hoy is the poster child of local lad entitlement, his old man is best mates with Joey, him being housemates with KP and Watson, if he was in the storm system he'd currently be plying his trade in QLD cup whilst working on the tools
There is certain second rower who is in exactly the same boat. I don’t blame either though. Any kid given the same chance would take it with both hands regardless of alleged ‘advantage’. Fitz, to his credit, has proven he can play first grade without being a world beater. He is very strong in the wrestle and contact, according to many in the club, and if I were having punt on a club who might pick him up it is the Storm. Bellamy could really turn him into a quality backrower.

Last edited:
I'm in the minority but I think Fitz still has plenty to offer and could be value to keep around. He's big and mobile and has quality defence

I think he can be retained on the cheap

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I thought our attitude was pretty good last night and it showed with our line speed and contact in defence, at one stage just before half time we pinned them on their line and repeatedly drove them back in tackles.

We were beaten on ability but not attitude which I can accept given the personnel on the field.

Jeez it’ll be good to get a few of those big names back.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I'm in the minority but I think Fitz still has plenty to offer and could be value to keep around. He's big and mobile and has quality defence

I think he can be retained on the cheap
We’ve had worse players than Fitz over the years but ultimately if we want to be a team that people take seriously as a premiership contender then Fitz can’t be a starter. My biggest issue is that his baseline performance is just too low. He is virtually unnoticed in most games, and it’s not like he’s one of those workhorse players who makes 50 tackles and 100m and you don’t notice him because he’s always there, it’s more that his hitups are ok, his defence is ok and every now and then he runs a good line in attack and scores a try, and then there’s a few really basic errors too. But I don’t recall the last time Fitz made a linebreak on his own (without taking a short ball from Ponga) or broke a tackle on his own or even fended someone off and made extra metres. He just doesn’t have anything above average in his game.

PhilGould

Bench
Bailey Hodgson looks to have jumped over Hoy in the fullback depth chart, O'Brien leaning towards naming him in the 21 man squad for this week in case Ponga isn't right.

Pearce, Klemmer and Hunt will all be back.

Hunt/Mann on the right side and Tuala/Young on the left.

Could stick with Saifiti's starting together and bring Klemmer off the bench.

Old dog

Juniors
Is Young really ready for a swap of sides, he is better right than left, is it because we want him to play centre and Mann is on the right

Latest posts