What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 v Chi wow waaz

Spazer

Juniors
The whole team was poor today. Norman being our best out there today really says a lot about the rest of them.

getsmarty

Immortal

Dragons inform Corey Norman he won’t be at club next season​

Michael Chammas

By Michael Chammas

June 14, 2021 — 4.45pm

Leave a comment

Corey Norman’s time at the St George Illawarra Dragons is coming to an end after club officials informed the five-eighth his contract would not be extended beyond the end of this year.
It comes as a former Dragons five-eighth, Gareth Widdop, has attracted interest from Canberra about potentially returning from the Super League next year to replace George Williams in the Raiders’ No.7 jersey.

Corey Norman will depart the Dragons at season’s end.

Corey Norman will depart the Dragons at season’s end.Credit:NRL Photos
The Herald contacted St George Illawarra officials on Monday afternoon, with the club confirming Norman had been told of the decision at a meeting last week. The Raiders also confirmed their interest in Widdop, but insist an offer hasn’t been made.
The Dragons have opted to invest in their juniors, with Jayden Sullivan and Junior Amone set to battle it out for the chance to partner Ben Hunt in the halves next year. The other option at the club is Jack Bird, who played five-eighth at the Sharks in his debut season before moving to the centres later in his career.

It’s understood coach Anthony Griffin initially wanted Norman to remain at the club. However, there was little support from others at the Dragons for the 219-game veteran to stick around.
Norman, who played his 50th NRL game for the Dragons in Monday’s clash against Canterbury at Stadium Australia, joined the club from Parramatta in 2019. Before Monday’s game he had helped the Dragons to 20 wins in those 49 games.

Corey Norman has experienced the highs and lows during his time at the Dragons.

Corey Norman has experienced the highs and lows during his time at the Dragons.Credit:Getty Images
The decision not to extend Norman has left the 30-year-old at a crossroads in his career as he looks to find a new club for 2022. It’s unclear if the Dragons will continue to use Norman for the remainder of the year or begin planning for the future.
The news of Norman’s forthcoming exit comes just a couple of weeks after the Dragons’ controversial decision to part ways with fullback Matt Dufty at the end of this year, opting against renewing the services of one of their biggest attacking weapons. The Dragons believe Dufty’s defensive deficiencies counteract his prowess with the ball in hand.

Dufty met with Canberra officials last week, with the Raiders considering offering him a position in the nation’s capital.

George Sancti

Juniors
This was a terrible performance and watching the seconds on Fox, I do not see any options in terms of promotion to first grade. Hopefully Lomax, Sullivan and Fuimaono will be available soon.

I believe Ben Hunt tries to lead by example and gives his best, but he is not the vocal leader that we require at present. I recall other members thought that Tariq Simms should have been selected as captain and I am now of the opinion that Tariq should be handed the captaincy.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
This was a terrible performance and watching the seconds on Fox, I do not see any options in terms of promotion to first grade. Hopefully Lomax, Sullivan and Fuimaono will be available soon.

I believe Ben Hunt tries to lead by example and gives his best, but he is not the vocal leader that we require at present. I recall other members thought that Tariq Simms should have been selected as captain and I am now of the opinion that Tariq should be handed the captaincy.
Agree on that. Didn’t see any forwards in reggies who would come into this squad.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Agree on that. Didn’t see any forwards in reggies who would come into this squad.
JDB is not match fit yet, Fuimaono and Grub should be back soon, and we have Molo next season. It is all about next season now. If we jag a few more we might sneak into the 8 but we wont be a finals threat. We have very bad depth in most positions if you factor in injuries.

Dragon David

First Grade
How absolutely pathetic was that. It was a shocker and full marks to Trent Barrett and his team playing to a game plan that we just were not able to compete against. Griffin and Co. now know what useless players we have. One week good, the next terrible. What a disgrace.

Now we can justifiably say goodbye to Dufty and Norman and several other players. Getting beaten by the lowest team on the table is so embarrassing. We will always be our worst enemy and there was just no leadership by Hunt who stuffed up big time. He did not rally his troops when needed.

The news that Norman was not wanted was very wrong timing even though he has known that he was on the outer but this should have been done early next week not this weekend before the game. The players probably dropped there desire to give it their all because of it.

So there it is. Sayonara fellas. 2021 is now a dead set waste from now on.

Dufty is nowhere near any good away from Netstrata. He now has my blessing to leave. Ramsey is not the replacement though.

Overall, our players were gutless each and everyone of them.