What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 R15 Fri - Penrith 38-12 Sydney @ BlueBet

Round 15: Penrith v Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Next time we play the Roosters, Brian Fletcher will have to plead with the match officials to go easy on the head high tackles from Roosters players, just so their fans don’t feel so hard done by when we wallop them again by 20+
The neutrals on here felt the sin bin wrecked the contest too. For the record, there’s no roosters fans on here denying Penrith were the better side. Game swung on Manu’s error in goal and from there Cleary controlled the game with Penrith camped in our half. Three tries in the sin bin period suggests the contest died there, though. Not the fault of Penrith and this is not what Robbo asked for. I blame the overreacting V’landys. Strikes me as the sort of bloke who would fix a watch with a hammer.

mxlegend99

Referee
The neutrals on here felt the sin bin wrecked the contest too. For the record, there’s no roosters fans on here denying Penrith were the better side. Game swung on Manu’s error in goal and from there Cleary controlled the game with Penrith camped in our half. Three tries in the sin bin period suggests the contest died there, though. Not the fault of Penrith and this is not what Robbo asked for. I blame the overreacting V’landys. Strikes me as the sort of bloke who would fix a watch with a hammer.
It was only 2 tries:
22nd minute - SST binned
23rd minute - To'o scores
27th minute - Cleary kicked a penalty goal
30th minute - To'o scored again

The score when Roosters were back to 13 men was 20 to 12. 8 points in it is hardly the end of the contest. Even at half time it was only a 10 point game.

But you are correct, the true turning point was Manu giving Panthers field position for Cleary to control the game. Without that Panthers would have had to slowly grind their way back into the contest. Which they're prepared to do but Manu made it easy for them.

Although he was really just returning the favour from when Dylan Edwards made the opening error which Roosters punished extremely well also.

It was only 2 tries:
22nd minute - SST binned
23rd minute - To'o scores
27th minute - Cleary kicked a penalty goal
30th minute - To'o scored again

The score when Roosters were back to 13 men was 20 to 12. 8 points in it is hardly the end of the contest. Even at half time it was only a 10 point game.

But you are correct, the true turning point was Manu giving Panthers field position for Cleary to control the game. Without that Panthers would have had to slowly grind their way back into the contest. Which they're prepared to do but Manu made it easy for them.

Although he was really just returning the favour from when Dylan Edwards made the opening error which Roosters punished extremely well also.
Thanks for the correction re bin tries but i thought the sin bin took the wind out of us. Too many young guys without the experience to tough it out. It what it is, I suppose.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Slipping over needs to be a 'mitigating factor'. Cleary slipped. If he didn't SST would have made a great tackle. The time between slipping and contact was what? 0.1-0.3 seconds?

Two tries in the sin bin period.

Was already corrected earlier in thread and point still stands I think
Sorry I am not trying to be narky, and I don’t usually correct people, but I have done it twice on this thread so far; one earlier when someone said the binning happened at 12-0 and the second here suggesting it was 3 tries.

There seems to be this narrative here that without the binning the Roosters win and it was this huge turning point. I don’t believe it was.

I don’t think the Manu knock on was a true turning point; it just gave Penrith possession (which the chooks had done really well to starve them of) in their end. Do we really believe the Roosters have possession and territory the whole game? Because the ease with which Penrith scored when they got that possession, and the way they controlled territory through the best player on the field (even before the binning) suggested only one winner.

Sorry I am not trying to be narky, and I don’t usually correct people, but I have done it twice on this thread so far; one earlier when someone said the binning happened at 12-0 and the second here suggesting it was 3 tries.

There seems to be this narrative here that without the binning the Roosters win and it was this huge turning point. I don’t believe it was.

I don’t think the Manu knock on was a true turning point; it just gave Penrith possession (which the chooks had done really well to starve them of) in their end. Do we really believe the Roosters have possession and territory the whole game? Because the ease with which Penrith scored when they got that possession, and the way they controlled territory through the best player on the field (even before the binning) suggested only one winner.
I think you’re alone in thinking that, mate. No one (as far as I know) is denying Penrith we’re the better team. Many of us, including neutrals believe it killed any chance of a contest, nothing more. I said in an earlier post that i thought it took the wind out of us as we had too many young fellas without the experience to tough it out. This team I think let in three tries against Titans in the bin period last week. On your second point re Manu, of course I don’t believe Roosters would've kept ball and territory the whole game. It’s merely the point where the pendulum swung. The good teams exploit those, don’t they? Even the commentators live, raised the possibility that it would be the turning point. Another factor pointed out to me was Lam’s failed kick for touch. Unforgivable and costly error. Penrith we’re the better side and nothing undeserved as far as I’m concerned.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think you’re alone in thinking that, mate. No one (as far as I know) is denying Penrith we’re the better team. Many of us, including neutrals believe it killed any chance of a contest, nothing more. I said in an earlier post that i thought it took the wind out of us as we had too many young fellas without the experience to tough it out. This team I think let in three tries against Titans in the bin period last week. On your second point re Manu, of course I don’t believe Roosters would've kept ball and territory the whole game. It’s merely the point where the pendulum swung. The good teams exploit those, don’t they? Even the commentators live, raised the possibility that it would be the turning point. Another factor pointed out to me was Lam’s failed kick for touch. Unforgivable and costly error. Penrith we’re the better side and nothing undeserved as far as I’m concerned.

You guys had the momentum up until the Manu error. Then it was in our favour. The binning robbed you the chance of swinging it back the other way before Cleary could really take control of the game. Once he asserted that control it was lights out.

I really hope they start to apply some common sense to the sin binnings. I think we win last night regardless, but the game would have been a much better spectacle most likely without it. Our turn will also come where we lose a player over something unavoidable and it costs us.

The_Frog

First Grade
Slipping over needs to be a 'mitigating factor'. Cleary slipped. If he didn't SST would have made a great tackle. The time between slipping and contact was what? 0.1-0.3 seconds?
It is when the charge is determined, but not on field. The refs and bunker aren't expected to consider mitigating factors, only if the hit is high and how much force it has. Five options. No action, penalty only, penalty and report, penalty and bin, penalty and off. Mitigating factors are considered by the MRC.

pantherz9103

First Grade
You mean the sort of failure where you haven’t won a premiership since 2003?

So much smug for so little success…
Most of us aren't smug but we just let people think we are because why not... We can still be comforted that Eels drought is nearly 35 years and Raiders is nearly 27 years. We've won it this century/millennium.

Latest posts