What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predictions 2021 - Can ANY team outside top 5 make a late season run?

mongoose

Coach
Could this season do a 1995? Two very dominant teams that year in Manly and Canberra. I think both teams only lost 2 games all season. Bulldogs went on a run and pulled their pants down in the finals.

yobbo84

First Grade
Storm v Panthers GF is a lock, injuries notwithstanding. They're a level above the rest. If Nathan Cleary stays injury free the Panthers win.

The only possibility would be an off game for either team in the prelim coupled with a 10/10 game from a Latrell or Trbojevic or Gutherson.

simmo1

First Grade
Parra and Souths have a punchers chance of beating the top 2, but I can't see either beating both in the same finals series, so they will have to rely on Penrith and Melbourne knocking each other out during the finals and taking advantage. Every other team is off the pace.

flippikat

Bench
Could this season do a 1995? Two very dominant teams that year in Manly and Canberra. I think both teams only lost 2 games all season. Bulldogs went on a run and pulled their pants down in the finals.
Ye Gads! The Bulldogs steamrolled their way through the 1995 playoffs from *checks 1995 table* 6th place.

Heeeeeey.. guess who's sitting in 6th on the table right now..... ? o_O

As the saying goes... history doesn't repeat, but it often rhymes.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Manly can and will break into the top 5, likely at the expense of the Roosters. I reckon they’re the only side who can realistically threaten Melbourne and Penriff

BranVan3000

Coach
I honestly think its a one man race

Souths and Eels are a step below the top 2, Manly and Roosters are a step below the top 4

The difference with Penrith and Storm is I think Storm have a lot of key injury prone players and it'll be their make or break factor in the finals

The chins should stroll through to the Premiership barring unforeseen injuries

The_Frog

First Grade
Manly can and will break into the top 5, likely at the expense of the Roosters. I reckon they’re the only side who can realistically threaten Melbourne and Penriff
I'm not sure they can threaten Melbourne or Penrith, and Souths might have their measure too with their attack, but they are next after that.

Munky

Coach

The closest in modern history would be NQ in 2017 who went on a run and ran into the incredibly dominant Storm who brushed them aside with ease.

That said, having a prop go down in the opening exchanges of the GF pretty much meant they went went from slim chance to no chance.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I want to Hasler to write a book about what he does with Manly. That team shouldn't be going so well. They are the knights of 2000s, so good until Joey goes down.

Valheru

Coach
In regards to the actual question, Manly make it a genuine top 6 followed by 10 also rans.

It should be storm/Penrith again.

Storm have had injuries but have been able to name a spine of Hynes/Munster/Hughes/Smith with Grant on the bench most of the season. Compare that with roosters who have had to make do with a Ron Massey cup player at hooker, an 18 year old at halfback and a revolving door at 5/8, lock and the 2nd row.

Penrith have the most amazing injury toll I have ever seen at this stage of the season, that is to say 0.

Of the others, souths and Parra really aren't that good IMO and are also benefiting off relatively injury free runs. I believe both Roosters and manly are better at full strength.

Bigger picture... We are staring down the barrel of there only being 1 difference from last year's top 6 (Manly replacing Raiders). I can;t see any of the bottom 10 changing that next year.

seanoff

Juniors
Penrith v Melbourne grand final only upset if Turbo or Latrell go absolutely mental in the whole finals series. Parra are 2 classes below Penrith and Melbourne and do not have a player like the two mentioned above who can win by themselves. The roosters have lost too many. Everyone else is ordinary to terrible.

Walpole

Juniors
Penrith v Melbourne grand final only upset if Turbo or Latrell go absolutely mental in the whole finals series. Parra are 2 classes below Penrith and Melbourne and do not have a player like the two mentioned above who can win by themselves. The roosters have lost too many. Everyone else is ordinary to terrible.
This. The only thing that will scare Penrith and Melbourne is Tommy Turbo in full flight. Think Hayne in 2009 but much much better.

t-ba

Post Whore
Manly need to stop having so many f**king injuries. 9 of our forwards for the season were unavailable on the weekend, Seven if you don't include the Titmuss (RIP) or stabby, and that includes non scrubs like Schuster, Jake and Aloiai.

We can beat up on mook teams without Turbo like we did the Cowboys last week but are no chance without him against the top 5.

Could do - that's the thing about our comp format. You could have blinding seasons like they did - and the Storm/Panthers are now...

But irrespective of the regular season - there's still a minimum of 2 games to win to take a title.

Latest posts