What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Players who offer value for money

Vee

First Grade
I thought of this watching the Titans and missing Anthony Don who, to me, has provided great value over a long period on what I assume is a modest contract.

I'd like to hear from fans of other clubs who they've been happy with over a long period, whether it's the million dollar man who is consistently a match winner or the solid club man that does the shovel work for the stars.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Was Yeo but he's stepped up another few levels, we always knew he was a gun but now fans of other teams are seeing it.

Dylan Edwards is pretty soild and allows us to have to high paid halves

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Considering we got him cheap when he was out with an Achilles injury and it’s early days but Lawton has been bloody impressive for us.

yobbo84

First Grade
Adam Reynolds has never been a top price halfback but has guided us to a premiership, 5 prelims and a semi final, for 8 years in the semis during his 10 years at the club. Definitely been a bargain for us so in a way glad he's getting his Broncos retirement cheque.

Tevita Tatola has been great for us the past few years too.

mxlegend99

Referee
Panthers might have someone like Brian To'o on great value for money... i would think he's only on a modest contract.

Pretty much everyone in Panthers team got nice big pay bumps after last year and a few of them are actually terrible value for money now. Nathan Cleary might be up there for value though... he isn't on a small contract, but would be worth a lot more now than when we extended him. Gonna kill our cap to keep him though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You'd have to know how much they're on to know their value but you can at least make inferences. Any player that suddenly jumps in form (compared to previous years) should be considered to be on unders. The exceptions are maybe the players at weak Sydney clubs who will only go/stay there for overs. The most notable ones this year are:

Hughes (Jahrome)
Smith (Brandon)
Smith (Reimis)
Hynes
To'o
Papali'i
Mahoney
Koloamatagi
Walker (Sam)
Garrick
Croker (Lachlan)
Taulagi
Walsh
Brailey (Jayden)

Papenhuyzen would also fit this bill, except he's been unavailable far too often. A player that doesn't get on the field is poor value no matter how little he's on.

Munky

Coach

Is Don is good, great no nonsense winger, always got the job done.

For the Rooster definitely Daniel Tupou .

Tupou is a good shout, he's like a Luke Rooney who didn't fall off a cliff a half decade into his career (my smug is showing).

Any idea if Luke Keary is on a superstar contract?

Was scapegoated by Rusty and can imagine actually taking less to not be around a toxic culture.

Valheru

Coach
Tupou is a good shout, he's like a Luke Rooney who didn't fall off a cliff a half decade into his career (my smug is showing).

Any idea if Luke Keary is on a superstar contract?

Was scapegoated by Rusty and can imagine actually taking less to not be around a toxic culture.
Well if you compare him to Ash Taylor he is a steal...

I believe he is on around 900k so for me that is fair value.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Riemis Smith and George Jennings. Was very suss when heard they were going to be our outside back combo but given they wont be on much they are both delivering strongly.

Vee

First Grade
You'd have to know how much they're on to know their value but you can at least make inferences. Any player that suddenly jumps in form (compared to previous years) should be considered to be on unders. The exceptions are maybe the players at weak Sydney clubs who will only go/stay there for overs. The most notable ones this year are:

Hughes (Jahrome)
Smith (Brandon)
Smith (Reimis)
Hynes
To'o
Papali'i
Mahoney
Koloamatagi
Walker (Sam)
Garrick
Croker (Lachlan)
Taulagi
Walsh
Brailey (Jayden)

Papenhuyzen would also fit this bill, except he's been unavailable far too often. A player that doesn't get on the field is poor value no matter how little he's on.
I'm more about the players that have offered value long-term.