What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Walsh

Leber

Bench
Pretty keen to see Brown and POS' plans for 6,7 & 9.

This is my biggest worry. We have the props, we have the second rowers, we 'kinda' have the backs (although the injuries this year have meant our backline hasn't been able to solidify) but its the rest of the spine thats hurting us.

Kodi doesn't cut the mustard for mine. CHT is good on D, but pretty suspect at times. SOS hasn't inspired me at all and Turner is bloody injured. Egan, isn't a top line hooker either.

Those three spots need to be tightened up I think.

This is my biggest worry. We have the props, we have the second rowers, we 'kinda' have the backs (although the injuries this year have meant our backline hasn't been able to solidify) but its the rest of the spine thats hurting us.

Kodi doesn't cut the mustard for mine. CHT is good on D, but pretty suspect at times. SOS hasn't inspired me at all and Turner is bloody injured. Egan, isn't a top line hooker either.

Those three spots need to be tightened up I think.

Our spine is light on experience this year. Next year even less experience. Would it be so hard for us fans (some) to welcome back SJ on say 500k? We need experience and a kicking game. Plus let's be truthful here. SJ will always be a Warrior at heart. The kids dream was to play for us. I am concerned we are still relying on bash plays with our big boys

1. RTS. 6. Walsh. 7. SOS or CHT. 9. Egan and Niko coming off the bench.

1. Walsh. 6. Turner. 7. CHT or SJ. 9. Egan & Niko coming off bench OR sign another hooker. Release SOS if we get SJ

Leber

Bench
Our spine is light on experience this year. Next year even less experience. Would it be so hard for us fans (some) to welcome back SJ on say 500k? We need experience and a kicking game. Plus let's be truthful here. SJ will always be a Warrior at heart. The kids dream was to play for us. I am concerned we are still relying on bash plays with our big boys

1. RTS. 6. Walsh. 7. SOS or CHT. 9. Egan and Niko coming off the bench.

1. Walsh. 6. Turner. 7. CHT or SJ. 9. Egan & Niko coming off bench OR sign another hooker. Release SOS if we get SJ

I'm not a huge fan of SJ now. Think he's past it. But for the right price, he'd be better than what we have.

Theres not alot of decent halves on the market. If we wanna buy one, we'd be better off grabbing a reserve grader thats stuck behind someone. The panthers reserve number 7 is a beast and he aint ever gunna get a look in due to Cleary.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
As in he played literally no footy last year?!? That's insane that he comes out and plays like that.

I believe so. Due to COVID weren’t all the major comps in Aussie called off last year apart from the NRL? Also read a quote for Peter O’Sullivan that he hadn’t played for 17 months

I believe so. Due to COVID weren’t all the major comps in Aussie called off last year apart from the NRL? Also read a quote for Peter O’Sullivan that he hadn’t played for 17 months

Amazing. If thats what he can produce with no game time 2020. A few games in 2021 lower grades. Give the boy a Taumalolo deal :)

yeah nah, nobody gets one of those. But I’d try to lock him up for 3 or 4 with an option

Was tongue in cheek. I know that would be too risky lol however if we did 7 years it would mean that Walsh will be with us until he turns 25. He will get picked up by an aussie club just as we get momentum with his plays. Reality of pro sport I know :(

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Amazing. If thats what he can produce with no game time 2020. A few games in 2021 lower grades. Give the boy a Taumalolo deal :)

That is amazing, actually it's beyond that. To miss a year when you're 25, not ideal but people do it with injuries etc. But to miss one at 17, a massively important developmental year, and go from there to the NRL and handle it as well, is insane. I mean, playing in the NRL at 18 is insane enough.

TheDMC

Bench
He actually looked more like a 6 than a 1.

Seems like it with his ball playing and kicking game. But too early to really tell. Very gifted it seems. And speed, lovely speed. Brown made comments that Warriors' lack of speed has been a big issue, especially with the new rules. Ploddiness has plagued us for quite a few years and I think this is the first time I have heard a Warriors coach come out and say it. Early days, but I'm quite liking Brown's thinking and approach to the game. Not afraid to give young blokes a crack (albeit injuries forced on us). But if he ever puts Harris in at no. 6 I'll put him in the dunce corner with Kearney et al.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Brown seems to have acknowledged the RTS to wing, Walsh to FB wasn't the best move.

We as LU'ians (?) can bask in the knowledge that we were right, and outdid an NRL coach in strategic thinking.

JJ

Immortal
Brown seems to have acknowledged the RTS to wing, Walsh to FB wasn't the best move.

We as LU'ians (?) can bask in the knowledge that we were right, and outdid an NRL coach in strategic thinking.
not sure you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that playing one of the best fullbacks in the game in another position in a club game to get a teenage rookie a debut is a bad idea... astonishing that a first grade coach would think that tbh, but then we've not always had the smartest ones

TheDMC

Bench
not sure you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that playing one of the best fullbacks in the game in another position in a club game to get a teenage rookie a debut is a bad idea... astonishing that a first grade coach would think that tbh, but then we've not always had the smartest ones

Not as crazy as playing Cooper Cronk with a broken scapula in a GF....

Big Marn

Juniors
i dont think it was a terrible idea overall, as RTS first came on the scene as a winger when Mini was still FB for the Roosters. But i guess it kind of backfired on the coach in the end. I think if he hadnt also had captain duties, it might have worked a bit better. Roger just had too much on his plate that game, as well as the fractured finger.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
i dont think it was a terrible idea overall, as RTS first came on the scene as a winger when Mini was still FB for the Roosters. But i guess it kind of backfired on the coach in the end. I think if he hadnt also had captain duties, it might have worked a bit better. Roger just had too much on his plate that game, as well as the fractured finger.

probably need to also consider that Roger, being Roger likely volunteered for the switch in an attempt to help out the team too. They were on a hiding to nothing in desperate situation and gave something a go that didn’t work out for the result on the day, but did allow Walsh a successful debut.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
probably need to also consider that Roger, being Roger likely volunteered for the switch in an attempt to help out the team too. They were on a hifi ding to nothing in desperate situation and gave something a go that didn’t work out for the result on the day, but did allow Walsh a successful debut.
Yeah part of it... but Roger shouldn’t be so modest, what’s best for the team is him at fullback. If we’ve given up on playoffs then sure, move him to blood the kid, otherwise give the kid short stints at fullback at selected times