What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Passion of the Kevin

Mr Spock!

Referee
Kevvie today on triple M

“At the moment we’ve only got two halfbacks available...."

Must be why you let Deardon go.....

It's a bit rich whinging about lack of players when you're telling players they aren't wanted.

Good to see Kevvie reward the broncos with a week off as well.

davi

Juniors
If this keeps up I can't see Kevie there next year .
He was a very good player but seems to be clueless as a coach .

I know he had success at SOO level ..lol as if the players at that level need much coaching .
He seems to have zero motivational skills and I can't see him getting a gig again in the NRl if he doesn't turn things around ( highly highly unlikely ) very quickly.

You could easily point to the roster that Kevin Walters inherited, and suggest that he should be atleast given a chance to put together a team of his choosing. But Brent Read said today on the Sunday footy show that he might not be even given that and may be finished up by the end of the year.

Read also said Tevita Pangai Jnr was told to move on because he met with the Tigers. This happened without the Broncos permission. Pangai has denied to the Broncos that he met with him, but apparently they know he did despite his denials.

_Johnsy

Referee
Walters is doing a pretty good job. He's getting rid of the dickheads, which is a step in the right direction.

No one would want to play alongside a nutter like Lodge.

How can his team mates respect the jersey and role their sleeves up when he's wearing it and was part of the leadership group?

It's no coincidence the rot crept in not long after Bennett brought the thug into the squad.
You need to look a bit further. I'd suggest it started once the thoroughbreds "dismantled", then the club panicked and made a few crap decisions. Off the top of my head Barba, Milf, Lodge.

Success led to arrogance for players who had done 9/10ths of SFA in the game, strutting around like the city owed them something. Culture is something those wearing the jersey must uphold the standards set previously (ie. Melbourne & Roosters), it can be a positive and a negative. It has been a negative for the broncs for much longer than a decade..

blaza88z

Coach
There's no doubt it's been a long time coming, year after year of poor decisions but for me the best thing I heard as a fan and the one thing I think every Brisbane fan wanted to hear is that they are clearing the deck both in the playing roster and in the football department because it's obviously not working and hasn't been working for a long time

yakstorm

First Grade
There is little doubt that Kevie inherited a clusterf#ck of a club. As others have mentioned, the bad decisions have been occurring for quite a number of years and the squad started to become unbalanced back when Bennett was in charge.

Naturally Seibold added a petrol tankers worth of fuel on the fire by removing most of the experience in the squad, scaring off promising up and coming players among some horrible signing decisions, so I think it's fair to say that no coach could turn the 2021 Broncos into a top 8 challenger.

That said, Walters appears to have no other coaching strategy than to threaten to drop players to QCup or attack them in the media.

Now maybe he's not there to coach, maybe the Broncos knew they needed someone to clean out the club and thought a beloved former player would be the best face for the often unwelcomed task before removing them and bringing in a proven coach and team.

That said, if the Broncos strategy isn'tsomethinglike that, I do have concerns that Walters will simply replace incompetence with a different type of incompetence and we'll still be having these threads in 3 years.

_Johnsy

Referee
There is little doubt that Kevie inherited a clusterf#ck of a club. As others have mentioned, the bad decisions have been occurring for quite a number of years and the squad started to become unbalanced back when Bennett was in charge.

Naturally Seibold added a petrol tankers worth of fuel on the fire by removing most of the experience in the squad, scaring off promising up and coming players among some horrible signing decisions, so I think it's fair to say that no coach could turn the 2021 Broncos into a top 8 challenger.

That said, Walters appears to have no other coaching strategy than to threaten to drop players to QCup or attack them in the media.

Now maybe he's not there to coach, maybe the Broncos knew they needed someone to clean out the club and thought a beloved former player would be the best face for the often unwelcomed task before removing them and bringing in a proven coach and team.

That said, if the Broncos strategy isn'tsomethinglike that, I do have concerns that Walters will simply replace incompetence with a different type of incompetence and we'll still be having these threads in 3 years.
Welcome to the Price/Macgregor'esque years.

Mark B

Juniors
Didn't McGregor start as fitness coach or something similar without any qualifications (Cert III or IV aren't exactly intensive)?

Makes sense he made it to head coach as easily as he did.
If you wander over to the Dragons forum, the general consensus is that the club looks after old boys with well paying jobs. This is regardless of whether they are good at it or not. They are mostly Not. The Broncos better be careful they don’t fall into the same trap. Old boys are Ok to have around the club such as what the Knights do, but to have them involved with the team and club like a bunch of hangers on is not that beneficial IMHO.

Mark B

Juniors
I was a staunch ARL supporter during the war. Murdoch bought out a number of clubs with the big prize being their ownership of the Brisbane Broncos. Massive on field success, extra money coming via the Thoroughbreds and a monopoly on the cream of juniors coming through the various Queensland juniors. No juniors worth their salt would sign for Cowboys or Gold Coast. Then the Murdoch’s started to eat their own. Even though little Lachie Murdoch is a Broncos fan, his own man and News Corp created the second Brisbane team and called it the Melbourne Storm. The Storm have had a monopoly on Queensland juniors and the coaching and management that Brisbane once dominated. I hate the Storm with a passion, but the fact that the Murdoch’s and their cronies bank rolled them blindly at the expense of Brisbane is a classic case of shooting yourself in the foot.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was a staunch ARL supporter during the war. Murdoch bought out a number of clubs with the big prize being their ownership of the Brisbane Broncos. Massive on field success, extra money coming via the Thoroughbreds and a monopoly on the cream of juniors coming through the various Queensland juniors. No juniors worth their salt would sign for Cowboys or Gold Coast. Then the Murdoch’s started to eat their own. Even though little Lachie Murdoch is a Broncos fan, his own man and News Corp created the second Brisbane team and called it the Melbourne Storm. The Storm have had a monopoly on Queensland juniors and the coaching and management that Brisbane once dominated. I hate the Storm with a passion, but the fact that the Murdoch’s and their cronies bank rolled them blindly at the expense of Brisbane is a classic case of shooting yourself in the foot.
They'd better hope the new Brisbane club isnt successful then lol. Storm have very few Queenslanders in the squad now so not sure what he current excuse for the Broncos poor player development is?

big hit!

Bench

Melbourne never had a monopoly on QLD juniors. Teams in their initial seasons were made up of the best of the Reds and Mariners.

C.Smith and Cronk were QLD juniors the Broncos could've had, but overlooked because they weren't considered good enough by them. It supposedly burned the players so bad that it drove them to work hard and succeed when they got their chance in Melbourne.