What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Players who offer value for money

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont think he came on much so Ado-Carr is one who has certainly paid off, Finucane would be the other. Be gutted if we lose him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I dont think he came on much so Ado-Carr is one who has certainly paid off, Finucane would be the other. Be gutted if we lose him.
I'd say definitely for JAC, at least early on. Finucane had already won 40+ games (by age 23) and played in two grand finals. He wouldn't have been cheap.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Has Ryan Papnehuyzen been upgraded in the past year? If not, I imagine the money he's on is well below what his ability is worth. As for being never available, it's hardly his fault one of our useless merkins decided to knock him into the middle of next Century. I'm gutted he's not available for NSW. He'll be back tearing everyone a new arsehole at the business end of the season.

Chimp

Bench
I think it's fair to say the cowboys got the bargain of the century with chad townsend
Haven’t they had a shocker there….

In terms of value for money, I know he’ll have been a big earner, but I don’t think many squeeze more juice from the lemon than Gal - the Sharkies definitely got every great value for every dollar from that bloke.
Have to agree on Aubesson as he’d have been a cheapie too (which is probably what this thread is aimed at), but against despite being on good coin, I’d probably throw in the Morris twins too - their clubs always got extremely good value.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Melbourne are the kings of value for money, because Bellamy reliably gets more out of players than anyone else could. And if they get so good other clubs come knocking for big money, he lets them go and pulls the same trick again with a new crop of kids and journeymen. Reimis Smith, Jacob Olam, and George Jennings are three obvious examples in the current team. Then you have Nicho Hynes, a back up utility who has had to play key man in the absence of their gun spine players, and has done the job with aplomb and earned himself a big payday elsewhere. I hate the Storm as much as anyone, but it impossible not to begrudgingly admire the system they have built and the excellence of Bellamy's coaching and development of young talent.

Meanwhile, in the great counter-example to this thread, we have Hunt and Norman taking up nearly $2 million of cap space and offering about a quarter of that in on-field performance. Hook has got Hunt performing at a level that might barely approach justifying his price tag, but I doubt even Bellamy could do anything with Norman. He's a massively overpaid bum. The only players offering comparably poor value are Anthony Milford and Ash Taylor.

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
Manly have a few forwards that are giving good value this year. Paseka, Keppie and Olakau'atu have been great.

Also, Brad Parker has to be the best value player in the comp. A god among men and probably on the lower end of the pay scale.

Danish

Referee
I’m going to go with literally every prop and lock the roosters and storm have had over the last 8 seasons.

both packs regularly steam roll their opposition and form the backbone of all our premierships. And there isn’t a player amongst them who’s ever been on top dollar for their position.

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone pays $1 million for a forward given the production the top teams get out of a average salaried players

Latest posts