What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Penrith games

The_Frog

First Grade
They were at their brilliant best. There execution was perfect. They were running hard, plays executed perfectly, perfectly timed passes and kicks.
Just like us in the GF, the Tigers gifted them cheap possession in their red zone, and were made to pay for it. You will never get near the Storm making error after error. Like us, the Tigers found some spark when the game was already won and lost.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
People want to hate on the new rules but you have guys like him, Teddy, etc putting on clinics each week... the score is going to rack up

The new rules suck balls.

Anyway, I'm of the belief that we will lose to a full strength Storm side if we meet again in the final, BUT I don't think they will be full strength - their key players are struggling with injury quite consistently. We just need to keep fit and focused.

franklin2323

Immortal

Anyway, I'm of the belief that we will lose to a full strength Storm side if we meet again in the final, BUT I don't think they will be full strength - their key players are struggling with injury quite consistently. We just need to keep fit and focused.

Defence wins games. Our defence is too good both games Storm lost was in the wet because they lack a good kicking game. That is where we beat them

Kilkenny

Coach

Still a lot of footy to be played.

I don’t see this competition as a two horse race only because no one knows what injuries, suspensions, form is going to happen in the remainder of the regular season.

As it stands, I’m thinking I will be happy with a spot in the top four which gives us a shot at another GF appearance.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
The new rules are fine - A lot of teams just haven't adjusted.

They suck. The massive increase in blowouts this year are a direct result of the shitty six again rule which I think is going to ruin the game. It is just becoming glorified touch and once a team gains momentum, they can just give away six again deep in the opposition half to reset their defence, and the team under the pump gets zero relief. How on earth do teams "adjust" to that?

Pure shit.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Still a lot of footy to be played.

I don’t see this competition as a two horse race only because no one knows what injuries, suspensions, form is going to happen in the remainder of the regular season.

As it stands, I’m thinking I will be happy with a spot in the top four which gives us a shot at another GF appearance.

It is definitely a two-horse race as it stands right now; it would probably be a three-horse race if the Roosters had a full squad, but they don't. Of course, things will change between now and the end because of injury and suspension, and they may well fall in our favor.

franklin2323

Immortal
They suck. The massive increase in blowouts this year are a direct result of the shitty six again rule which I think is going to ruin the game. It is just becoming glorified touch and once a team gains momentum, they can just give away six again deep in the opposition half to reset their defence, and the team under the pump gets zero relief. How on earth do teams "adjust" to that?

Pure shit.

Alot of games are blowouts but like it SOO 1 the side flogged gets the more calls.

Hold the ball and make your tackles and you win as it should be.

ESL has the old rules and had the biggest round total ever.

Covid hangover is the main reason behind the blowouts

BxTom

Bench

Pure shit.
I don't have a problem with the concept, but our referees suck. I have watched a few games and seen sides definitely favoured by referees in the six again (I watched non Penrith games to rid myself of bias). There is no accountability, most of the commentators are as perplexed as fans by, probably, the majority of calls or lack thereof.

mxlegend99

Referee
Blaming the rules for blowouts suggests you aren't watching the games. The teams racking up scores are regularly getting the worse of the rules being blamed for blow outs.

Some teams have prepared to defend these new rules better than others and the fitness gained helps them both in attack and defence. Regardless of if the 6 again calls come or not.

Panthers didn't get many 6 agains on the weekend. They just controlled the ball perfectly once they finally got it and maintained possession and field position by forcing line drop outs and making Roosters work up field difficult.

Storm ran riot through Tigers getting 6 agains by scoring a try and getting the ball back to score another try. Tigers leaked tries faster than the clock from kick off ffs. Rules cant have tired them out

There are just a lot of shit teams right now. Blaming the rules is ridiculous when they're often manipulated to try evening out a contest as we saw refs doing in Origin 1 with QLD. The rules had good teams adjust to be ready for them. The adjustments made those teams better regardless as they trained to be ready for non stop footy being under the pump and hot on the attack.

betcats

Referee
I am sure some idiot on Fox will blame Ivan this week for the Tigers getting thrashed.

Yep. The fact that their management was so willing to scapegoat Ivan for years now is probably why they havent improved. I know it comes from the media now but their management definitely has adopted this attitude the last few years "Ivan stuffed the club up and we are left to fix it" blah blah. Surprise surprise a management team that points the finger and wont hold themselves accountable has led them to a worse spot than Ivan ever had them. They haven't actually addressed any of their issues, they made some better signings but they also made plenty of bad ones as well. James Roberts for example, its just a desperation signing.

When we rebuilt we rebuilt everything not just the playing group, we rebuilt our development and scouting, our facilities, our community engagement...it was a complete and dramatic rebuild of every part of the footy club, signing some hard working toiling players and a couple of young guys was just the beginning. BJ and Roberts and Tevita Pangai are high talent, low attitude guys only available because they were unwanted by their clubs, the exact opposite of the guys they should be trying to sign when you have a team like the tigers. Attitude is far more important than talent for them right now, they need to be looking at guys with the right attitude, this is true for any team IMO but expecially for a rebuilding side that doesnt have the best culture.

If you already have a great hardworking culture in the team then you can a risk on a Pangai or someone like that in the hope the teams attitude with influence the player and not the other way around. But if you are rebuilding and struggling for results the last thing you want is players with questionable attitudes.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep. The fact that their management was so willing to scapegoat Ivan for years now is probably why they havent improved. I know it comes from the media now but their management definitely has adopted this attitude the last few years "Ivan stuffed the club up and we are left to fix it" blah blah. Surprise surprise a management team that points the finger and wont hold themselves accountable has led them to a worse spot than Ivan ever had them. They haven't actually addressed any of their issues, they made some better signings but they also made plenty of bad ones as well. James Roberts for example, its just a desperation signing.

When we rebuilt we rebuilt everything not just the playing group, we rebuilt our development and scouting, our facilities, our community engagement...it was a complete and dramatic rebuild of every part of the footy club, signing some hard working toiling players and a couple of young guys was just the beginning. BJ and Roberts and Tevita Pangai are high talent, low attitude guys only available because they were unwanted by their clubs, the exact opposite of the guys they should be trying to sign when you have a team like the tigers. Attitude is far more important than talent for them right now, they need to be looking at guys with the right attitude, this is true for any team IMO but expecially for a rebuilding side that doesnt have the best culture.

If you already have a great hardworking culture in the team then you can a risk on a Pangai or someone like that in the hope the teams attitude with influence the player and not the other way around. But if you are rebuilding and struggling for results the last thing you want is players with questionable attitudes.

Pangai would do some damage off the bench for a top side. The garbage teams will offer more and it won't happen and so the cycle continues

Panther Pete

Juniors
I am sure some idiot on Fox will blame Ivan this week for the Tigers getting thrashed.
100% accurate. Last night on NRL 360 Knucklehead Hooper put the blame on Justin Pascoe but also mentioned Ivan. Believe it or not Buzz Rothfield went to bat for Ivan informing Hooper that all the players signed by Ivan were no longer at the Tigers.

100% accurate. Last night on NRL 360 Knucklehead Hooper put the blame on Justin Pascoe but also mentioned Ivan. Believe it or not Buzz Rothfield went to bat for Ivan informing Hooper that all the players signed by Ivan were no longer at the Tigers.
Yes, Blooper used the word "They" , so Pascoe is included. Dimwit does not realise its Round 16 2021 almost 3 seasons ago.

franklin2323

Immortal

I knew that bald knobend would be the one

As for Buzz. Maybe he gave up drinking because over the last couple of weeks he has been the reasonable one

BxTom

Bench
My ex-wife still blames me for everything that happens to her, and we've been divorced for over a decade... Tigers and their fans will blame Ivan for every bad period in the future. You could put your house on it.
With the quality (or lack thereof) of their team, they really need something or someone to blame.

Pomoz

Bench

Very profound Betcats. If the head of your organization continually blames somebody who is no longer there, he provides an excuse for everybody in the organisation to use it as an excuse. You can hear it now “yeah we are rubbish, but even the CEO admits its because of what Ivan did”. It is weak leadership, causing a weak “excuse” based culture.

Let us presume for a minute that Ivan did sign all the dud players, what does that say about the board that approved them? What does it say about a board letting a coach have all the control? If the contracts are all too much, what does that say about the board that approved them?

My old RSM would have looked Pascoe in the eye and said “last time I looked, you are the one with the corner office and the big salary. You own this mess sort it fecking out”. This would probably have been succeeded by a threat to insert his boot, his cane or both up his arse until he got a grip. He hated, absolutely hated people blaming others. If I blamed others, he went apoplectic and looked like he might launch me over the nearest Landrover, pausing only to wipe the smear off his boot when he finished. For FFS Justin, man up!

Latest posts