What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

callmack1

Staff member
Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade

callmack1

Staff member
ARL, Sky New Zealand agree to long-term TV deal: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/23/arl-sky-new-zealand-agree-to-long-term-tv-deal/

Pretty exciting news for me!!

The link doesn't work for this article unfortunately.

I do hope the NRL considers reversing the kick off as i believe the current set up is what's contributing to the blowouts, not the 6 again rules. The new rules have only exposed how little sense it makes to give the ball back to the team who scored.
I'm not sure how I feel about it. Of course, it'd help reduce the blowouts but what would it do to other games?

Imagine a Grand Final, we're down by 10 with 2 minutes to go. We get the momentum and things flow our way, we score and look to be on top, coming home with a wet sail. Why shouldn't we be rewarded in that situation and recieve the kick off?

Travitoh

First Grade
ARL, Sky New Zealand agree to long-term TV deal: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/23/arl-sky-new-zealand-agree-to-long-term-tv-deal/

Pretty exciting news for me!!

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Of course, it'd help reduce the blowouts but what would it do to other games?

Imagine a Grand Final, we're down by 10 with 2 minutes to go. We get the momentum and things flow our way, we score and look to be on top, coming home with a wet sail. Why shouldn't we be rewarded in that situation and recieve the kick off?
In that situation, the team kicking off can attempt a short kick off to get the ball back in better field position than they would recieving the ball. IMO, it'd create a better finish. A team trailing by 2-3 tries after 77-78 minutes shouldn't just be handed another opportunity to attack without having to defend because they have a wet sail.

What is causing the blowouts is the lack of opportunity for an opponent to reply to the score.

Another thing that reversing the kickoff will do is discourage teams from taking the two unless it really means something like taking the lead late.

In the current set up, what's stopping Souths and Adam Reynolds from kicking drop goals in range if they can't score a try all game?

Mr Spock!

Referee
The link doesn't work for this article unfortunately.

I do hope the NRL considers reversing the kick off as i believe the current set up is what's contributing to the blowouts, not the 6 again rules. The new rules have only exposed how little sense it makes to give the ball back to the team who scored.
Ffs they need to do this next season and with discussions with players, coaches and international community.

Not introduce a new rule halfway through the season which is a response to other rules they've introduced at the beginning.

Also it's a fundamental rule change to the game of rugby league.

Mr Spock!

Referee
In that situation, the team kicking off can attempt a short kick off to get the ball back in better field position than they would recieving the ball. IMO, it'd create a better finish. A team trailing by 2-3 tries after 77-78 minutes shouldn't just be handed another opportunity to attack without having to defend because they have a wet sail.

What is causing the blowouts is the lack of opportunity for an opponent to reply to the score.

Another thing that reversing the kickoff will do is discourage teams from taking the two unless it really means something like taking the lead late.

In the current set up, what's stopping Souths and Adam Reynolds from kicking drop goals in range if they can't score a try all game?
Receiving the kick off is your reward for scoring points.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
NRL places stars back in the bubble after Covid outbreak: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/82ea8ba2156e3d995c181bc3b2e39b34

Bit of a bummer for the players but I guess it's just what they have to do to keep the comp running smoothly.

NRL considering changing kick-off rules in an attempt to stop blowouts: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/619d133580f220efca4622a4db96c8e9
This game is becoming more like Gridiron.
Score a try, then kick off = score a touchdown, then kick off.
Six again = penalty, 1st down.

They created this blowout fiasco, and now wanna change 113 years of history.

Ditch the stupid 6 again, award penalties - like they should have before but were too scared of Bellamy going off his head for penalizing their wrestling,

Or have 6 again for infringements when attacking in the red zone.

Then you won't need to reverse the kick off to the team scored on.

Travitoh

First Grade
This game is becoming more like Gridiron.
Score a try, then kick off = score a touchdown, then kick off.
Six again = penalty, 1st down.

They created this blowout fiasco, and now wanna change 113 years of history.

Ditch the stupid 6 again, award penalties - like they should have before but were too scared of Bellamy going off his head for penalizing their wrestling,

Or have 6 again for infringements when attacking in the red zone.

Then you won't need to reverse the kick off to the team scored on.

After 58 years the game decided to move away from unlimited tackle counts. That went alright.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
After 58 years the game decided to move away from unlimited tackle counts. That went alright.
Then why are they panicking and wanting to introduce another rule change on top of the multitude of rule changes already made?.

Can't be going too good when an absolute ton of people are ringing talk back radio to complain about what the game has become.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Isaako could replace Gagai who is now rumoured to be heading to the broncos.
What about going after Dylan Walker if Gagai does leave for the Broncos?

Dylan is off contract at the end of the season. Manly are not going to 're-sign him. Doesn't look like too many teams lining up to sign him. But he is still only 26, we might be able to get him basement-bargain price. Also, I think Manly tried to make him all these things he's not - he's a centre, that's it.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Sorry to change the subject but there's reports that the Broncos have formally expressed interest in Gags.

He is a MUST keep in my opinion. 100%!
Of course they have expressed interest.

I agree we should try everything to keep him, and Gagai previously said he doesn't want to leave, but we may not have the cap space to keep him, and compete with a likely reasonably big offer from the Broncos.

That's why I came up with Dylan Walker as a contingency plan if Gags does leave.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Might be worthwhile posting this article again from April for those with short memories:

And for those too lazy to click on links, this is what it says:

"The South Sydney Rabbitohs will be left with just $2 million to spend on 16 players in 2023 should they fold and extend halfback Adam Reynolds’ contract beyond next season.

The Herald can reveal the Rabbitohs have more contracted players for 2023 and beyond than any other team in the NRL, a dilemma that would leave the club with an average of just $125,000 to spend on each of the 16 players if they gave Reynolds the two-year extension he desires.

South Sydney already have 12 players contracted for the 2023 season, the most of any club in the NRL, taking up about $5.5 million in the salary cap.

There is little doubt Cody Walker will be offered an extension beyond 2022, which will take the tally to about $6.3 million.

Latrell Mitchell, Cameron Murray, Jai Arrow, Campbell Graham, Damien Cook, Thomas Burgess, Tevita Tatola, Liam Knight, Hame Sele, Keaon Koloamatangi, Jacob Host and Jed Cartwright are the 12 Rabbitohs players contracted until the end of 2023."

And this doesn't account for us now having renewed all the youngsters that was announced last week.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Also, consider this from nrl.com:

"The revised CBA will see clubs operate to a $9.02 million cap this season – down from $9.6 million under the original agreement, and $9.11 million in 2022 – dropping from a planned $9.7 million."

I cant find a source that states what the cap is for 2023

Rabbits20

Immortal
Of course they have expressed interest.

I agree we should try everything to keep him, and Gagai previously said he doesn't want to leave, but we may not have the cap space to keep him, and compete with a likely reasonably big offer from the Broncos.

That's why I came up with Dylan Walker as a contingency plan if Gags does leave.
Su’a and Reyno are going we should have enough for Gagai.

handyman2190

Bench
Might be worthwhile posting this article again from April for those with short memories:

And for those too lazy to click on links, this is what it says:

"The South Sydney Rabbitohs will be left with just $2 million to spend on 16 players in 2023 should they fold and extend halfback Adam Reynolds’ contract beyond next season.

The Herald can reveal the Rabbitohs have more contracted players for 2023 and beyond than any other team in the NRL, a dilemma that would leave the club with an average of just $125,000 to spend on each of the 16 players if they gave Reynolds the two-year extension he desires.

South Sydney already have 12 players contracted for the 2023 season, the most of any club in the NRL, taking up about $5.5 million in the salary cap.

There is little doubt Cody Walker will be offered an extension beyond 2022, which will take the tally to about $6.3 million.

Latrell Mitchell, Cameron Murray, Jai Arrow, Campbell Graham, Damien Cook, Thomas Burgess, Tevita Tatola, Liam Knight, Hame Sele, Keaon Koloamatangi, Jacob Host and Jed Cartwright are the 12 Rabbitohs players contracted until the end of 2023."

And this doesn't account for us now having renewed all the youngsters that was announced last week.
You just wont let it go! Ive clicked on all those links, i cant believe we have mismanaged the cap so much to the end result we cant afford to sign any players and have to let good players go. I also dont have to like or agree with the situation the club finds itself in, they have an obligation to their members, of which i have been a member for over 58 years, to manage these things properly,ive said it a few times we need a proper replacement for Richo, maybe this could have been averted. You shoving it up our behinds that we dont open links helps no one and as i said, i dont have to like this situation and im entitled to express my views. I like,and enjoy having a competitive team. I know Ello has tried his best in his combined management position, but it hasnt worked.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
C
You just wont let it go! Ive clicked on all those links, i cant believe we have mismanaged the cap so much to the end result we cant afford to sign any players and have to let good players go. I also dont have to like or agree with the situation the club finds itself in, they have an obligation to their members, of which i have been a member for over 58 years, to manage these things properly,ive said it a few times we need a proper replacement for Richo, maybe this could have been averted. You shoving it up our behinds that we dont open links helps no one and as i said, i dont have to like this situation and im entitled to express my views. I like,and enjoy having a competitive team. I know Ello has tried his best in his combined management position, but it hasnt worked.
Calm down dude, sheesh......

Mismanaging the cap? Where are the mistakes in your opinion?

Out of the 12 already signed to 2023, Liam Knight, and Jed Cartwright was a mistake. Knight - easy to say in hindsight, but he was signed off the back of his big season. I'd try to move him to ANY other team.

Cartwright - no idea why they signed him, that I agree is a mistake.

Tatola - IMO I would have signed him for 2 not 3 years, but the risk is he might have walked, and there aren't a lot of good front rowers out there that are realistically available.

The rest are about right (Arrow maybe slightly overs). Are you saying we shouldn't have extended Latrell, Campbell, Cook, Koloa, Murray at the time their contracts were due to end?