What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Su’a and Reyno are going we should have enough for Gagai.
For the sake of continuity of the left side backline, I hope so, but Gagai is 30, I could see the front office only offering him 2 years.

And I assume they'll have to find some money for AJ for 2023 and beyond.

handyman2190

Bench
C

Calm down dude, sheesh......

Mismanaging the cap? Where are the mistakes in your opinion?

Out of the 12 already signed to 2023, Liam Knight, and Jed Cartwright was a mistake. Knight - easy to say in hindsight, but he was signed off the back of his big season. I'd try to move him to ANY other team.

Cartwright - no idea why they signed him, that I agree is a mistake.

Tatola - IMO I would have signed him for 2 not 3 years, but the risk is he might have walked, and there aren't a lot of good front rowers out there that are realistically available.

The rest are about right (Arrow maybe slightly overs). Are you saying we shouldn't have extended Latrell, Campbell, Cook, Koloa, Murray at the time their contracts were due to end?
No i agree with your assesment, i would now move on marsters and maybe burns due to his injury rate, i think our recruitment of youngsters in lower grades from other clubs hasnt been good and needs fixing, i suggested meeney as being a cheap buy, look at the warriors buying now that brown has taken over, we persevere with mago, who isnt fit enough,we have a problem ,i can only guess the solutions, maybe a lerned chief exec/ negotiator pinched from another successful club may help, also in reality, we couldnt afford suuali, maybe thats the real reason,not his clauses he wanted.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
No i agree with your assesment, i would now move on marsters and maybe burns due to his injury rate, i think our recruitment of youngsters in lower grades from other clubs hasnt been good and needs fixing, i suggested meeney as being a cheap buy, look at the warriors buying now that brown has taken over, we persevere with mago, who isnt fit enough,we have a problem ,i can only guess the solutions, maybe a lerned chief exec/ negotiator pinched from another successful club may help, also in reality, we couldnt afford suuali, maybe thats the real reason,not his clauses he wanted.
Well I should have added Mansour being a dud, but that ends after next season.

Just remember, they still need to sort Cody out. And I really hope they do but the way that Reynolds got treated, who knows?

Rabbits20

Immortal
Newcastle have emerged as a suitor for Dane Gagai to return to the club four years after leaving the Knights.

Newcastle have been in discussions with the Maroons star about enticing him to return to the club next season on a multi-year deal. The contract could be as long as three seasons at the 30-year-old now weighs up a deal to return to one of his former clubs.

Brisbane are also keen on signing Gagai after he made his debut at the club in 2011. His current club, South Sydney, have also not given up hope of retaining him, but the Rabbitohs aren’t expected to be able to offer more than a one-year deal as the club juggles a tight salary cap.

Rabbitohs officials are hoping to catch up with Gagai next week. A short-term deal with South Sydney could open up Gagai to be part of any new expansion side, but he has longer deals on offer from the Broncos and Newcastle.”

Source Daily Telegraph

handyman2190

Bench
Talk Souths are sitting down with Gagai next week.

There are rumours around though that Brisbane are closing in on Gagai. They’ve just landed Kurt Capewell and now are now turning their attention straight onto Gagai.
We have a great attacking side, everyone would want the players responsible, and we have to accomodate these other teams, it stinks!! I know im harping on, but im so so disappointed, we have dropped the ball with the salary cap management.

handyman2190

Bench
Talk Souths are sitting down with Gagai next week.

There are rumours around though that Brisbane are closing in on Gagai. They’ve just landed Kurt Capewell and now are now turning their attention straight onto Gagai.
Were have they landed capewell? Were have u seen this?

callmack1

Staff member
Good to hear we're about to properly open talks with Gagai, that'll hopefully make things a lot clearer. Sounds like we really want him to stay and I hope the feeling is the same with Gags as we must retain him!!

I don't see how our cap can be super tight, we've already lost Reyno and Su'A too.

Education Empowering Players: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/06/24/education-empowering-players/

Jim Rockford

Bench
We were so lucky to have someone like George who had the guts to say we're not merging, we're gonna fight! There is no way I would have kept on supporting the team if they had merged, I can't understand how fans of the merged teams(who were fans of one of the teams prior) can still support them.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Newcastle have emerged as a suitor for Dane Gagai to return to the club four years after leaving the Knights.

Newcastle have been in discussions with the Maroons star about enticing him to return to the club next season on a multi-year deal. The contract could be as long as three seasons at the 30-year-old now weighs up a deal to return to one of his former clubs.

Brisbane are also keen on signing Gagai after he made his debut at the club in 2011. His current club, South Sydney, have also not given up hope of retaining him, but the Rabbitohs aren’t expected to be able to offer more than a one-year deal as the club juggles a tight salary cap.

Rabbitohs officials are hoping to catch up with Gagai next week. A short-term deal with South Sydney could open up Gagai to be part of any new expansion side, but he has longer deals on offer from the Broncos and Newcastle.”

Source Daily Telegraph
The odds are not looking good for retaining Gagai

handyman2190

Bench
For the sake of continuity of the left side backline, I hope so, but Gagai is 30, I could see the front office only offering him 2 years.

And I assume they'll have to find some money for AJ for 2023 and beyond.
Mate, im sorry to be negative, ive sat here today reading signing news from other clubs, johnson back to warriors plus their plethora of signings, broncos getting capewell plus maybe sua plus maybe gagai plus plus, and here our great club sits, because of miscalculations,pushing players out the door, im personally demoralised. I know the reasons, but the reasons dont make it right that we have and will lose players that make us competitive. Its a merrygoround,its our turn at the bottom.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Mate, im sorry to be negative, ive sat here today reading signing news from other clubs, johnson back to warriors plus their plethora of signings, broncos getting capewell plus maybe sua plus maybe gagai plus plus, and here our great club sits, because of miscalculations,pushing players out the door, im personally demoralised. I know the reasons, but the reasons dont make it right that we have and will lose players that make us competitive. Its a merrygoround,its our turn at the bottom.
If Gagai goes I will also be low and demoralised.

To let all 3 go would be very very poor.

I don’t understand how our cap is so stuffed.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I get it, but try to look at the quality of signings.
Johnson - nobody wanted him, and he'll probably be getting half, or less, of the money he was on. The Warriors originally said no to him, suggesting he was asking for more than they were willing to pay. He must have lowered his price.
Sua - he is dropped from a contending team, dropped from SOO, and can't get back in barring a plethora of injuries. IMO we've dodged a bullet on extending him, although I would have been making a call to the Broncos for a player swap with Pangai at least for this season. Next season becomes a problem financially. But Bennett's comments suggest a deal is quite possible.
Capewell - well who else besides the Broncos were serious about trying to get him? And was he serious about any other team?
Gagai - yes it would be disappointing, and I would have tried to keep him for another 2 years, but more than that "could" be a gamble given his age. He'll be 31 next season. Maybe Dylan Walker might be a bargain buy here, he's only 26, his skills are not in question, it's his mental attitude, and injuries. But I doubt he is going to get any good offers, he's going to have to lower his price by quite a bit.

Also bear in mind most of us deep down knew it had to be last year or this year as the window to win the comp. After that, the transition was coming. Hopefully it won't be too long and painful.....

Last edited: