What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 WTC FINAL: India v NZ @ Ageas Bowl Southampton Jun 18-22

blaza88z

Coach
The one off is a bit weird, I wonder how they came to the conclusion that England was the place to play it

There's no way they would have known but it certainly played right into NZ's hands, England conditions are basically the same as what they are used to back in New Zealand, India had a chance to bat NZ out of the game on the final day and instead of doing that they handed NZ a very chaseable total

Kohli continues to fail in big games

Meth

Staff member
The one off is a bit weird, I wonder how they came to the conclusion that England was the place to play it

There's no way they would have known but it certainly played right into NZ's hands, England conditions are basically the same as what they are used to back in New Zealand, India had a chance to bat NZ out of the game on the final day and instead of doing that they handed NZ a very chaseable total

second only to playing in NZ, it was best for us, no doubt. But India are good enough to win anywhere, as they have shown

lords makes sense. Southhampton would have been a COVID pick.

Meth

Staff member
And yes, the one off is weird. 3 years of a tournament coming down to 1 match in a format in which a draw is as likely as any result…not to mention the weather etc. lucky (for Test cricket) to get a result.

Reactions: JJ

simmo1

First Grade
Good to see NZ get the win, it's been well deserved. Even better that it was over India. Unfortunately this result has probably guaranteed the next final will be held in Chennai on a sandpit.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Well done kiwis, Australia can learn a lot from Big Brother.
Williamson is a fine batsman and holds them together whatever the situation.
Taylor is my favourite kiwi player of the last 25 years, a great servant of the game.
The bowling attack is quality, if one misses a beat their buddies step up.

The format needs a few tweaks but the final was between the 2 most consistent sides of the last few years and the kiwis showed that they were the best team on the day(s).

Well done and congrats

JJ

Immortal

The original venue was Lords, which is entirely appropriate, and tbh it'd be great if it could be there every time. Not sure on one off either, but seemed to work, I think one off rules with a few rest days to ensure a full test is possible would help.

Despite the weather, that was a great test... I'm still staggered that we won, and that we made the final and are ranked #1... we're supposed to battle away and even at our best be, like #3 or 4... so much more fun than winning rugby, now if the Warriors can win a premiership...

Bazal

Post Whore
Why do these remarkable finishes overseas always happen when I go to bed?

Good to see minnows doing well on the role stage....

Nah in all seriousness that's a pretty special thing for NZ. And over India too. You're practically a state so I hope you understand this will be co-opted to give it to Indian mates and colleagues all over Australia

Bazal

Post Whore
Why does everything have to be a best of 3. In a grand final, bring your best or lose. No second chances.

No way. The WTC final should be best of 9, with a best of three tie breaker in case of drawn series, and that best of three should be decided by a best of three T20 series if that's drawn, and if that's drawn it should be decided by a super over, and if that's drawn it should be decided by which team has the most players named Virat.

If that's drawn then the team from the country with the largest population wins

Meth

Staff member
Why does everything have to be a best of 3. In a grand final, bring your best or lose. No second chances.

I think the fact that it was a 1 match game contributed to the spectacle of the game itself. Maybe if it was a series, we wouldn't have got a result here.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
3 game series has merit but it's difficult to play. Do you play 1 game in each each of the finalists home country and then 1 at a neutral venue? Or 3 games at a neutral venue? I'm assuming if a team goes 2 up after 2 tests then the 3rd isn't played?

The biggest issue is weather and timing. However long the format goes for it needs an endpoint. If that is June it would be impossible to play in New Zealand or India (using this year's finalists) due to weather and would draw very few crowds if at a neutral venue.

Meth

Staff member
3 game series has merit but it's difficult to play. Do you play 1 game in each each of the finalists home country and then 1 at a neutral venue? Or 3 games at a neutral venue? I'm assuming if a team goes 2 up after 2 tests then the 3rd isn't played?

The biggest issue is weather and timing. However long the format goes for it needs an endpoint. If that is June it would be impossible to play in New Zealand or India (using this year's finalists) due to weather and would draw very few crowds if at a neutral venue.

It's preposterous, but if you really wanted to test the teams, you'd play a game in Lords, a game in Chennai and a game in Melbourne (or something like that)...test the teams in different conditions.

But yeah- I am good with 1 match in Lords. Maybe with some extra reserve days to guarantee 5 days play?

Latest posts