What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 WTC FINAL: India v NZ @ Ageas Bowl Southampton Jun 18-22

JJ

Immortal
One game at Lords - end of discussion

I'm just hoping we get more 3 test series now, maybe even a 5 test series somewhere, surely other countries will want to test themselves against the best :D

shiznit

Coach
I pulled an all-nighter, device free for this on the off chance that it didn't end up in a draw. Last time I did that was the World Cup.

What a game. What a moment in NZ cricket history- surely the greatest moment.

Suck shit Tim Paine.
Can someone explain WTF Tim Paine has done to cop all the shite…

all he said was he thought India would win… hardly the f**king crime of the century.

To me it said more about how poor of a captain he is than anything… as he should have realised that playing in England as well as the fact NZ had a warm up series against England would have given NZ a slight edge.

To me that shows how woefully out of touch he is more than anything…

JJ

Immortal
To be fair to Kohli he loves test cricket, but I can't help but note the irony of a powerful Indian cricketing figure wanting a three test series with NZ

JJ

Immortal
One game but rotation of grounds for me.

It's a grand final. Play it like one.
problem is rotation would never see it played outside the big three, Lords is the home of cricket - that just feels right to me

Bazal

Post Whore

all he said was he thought India would win… hardly the f**king crime of the century.

To me it said more about how poor of a captain he is than anything… as he should have realised that playing in England as well as the fact NZ had a warm up series against England would have given NZ a slight edge.

To me that shows how woefully out of touch he is more than anything…

I mean, for real, does it even show that???

India are the better batting side, realistically. They're also not a poor bowling side. Given it was moved to the ground in England that probably most suited them I don't even think it's an outlandish early opinion?

Meth

Staff member

lol I'd hardly say he's copping much shit, really.

He lazily put it out there that India would win comfortably. They didn't. I'm lazily putting it out there that he can suck shit.

Meth

Staff member
I mean, for real, does it even show that???

India are the better batting side, realistically. They're also not a poor bowling side. Given it was moved to the ground in England that probably most suited them I don't even think it's an outlandish early opinion?

Nah it isn't, really. And if I were a betting man, I'm not sure I would have put money on NZ to win.

But yeah, I feel like he went out of his way to shit on NZ's win over England and predict a comfortable win for India, so he deserves a bit of curry for that.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
3 game series has merit but it's difficult to play. Do you play 1 game in each each of the finalists home country and then 1 at a neutral venue? Or 3 games at a neutral venue? I'm assuming if a team goes 2 up after 2 tests then the 3rd isn't played?

The biggest issue is weather and timing. However long the format goes for it needs an endpoint. If that is June it would be impossible to play in New Zealand or India (using this year's finalists) due to weather and would draw very few crowds if at a neutral venue.

fair amount of travelling and organizing for a 3 test series

play 1 in each country and its 1 all going into the 3rd in a neutral country so its pretty much the same as it is now

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He lazily put it out there that India would win comfortably. They didn't. I'm lazily putting it out there that he can suck shit.

and that's fair enough, he made the call and he has to stand by it, can't take it back

btw, thanks for Papali'i

Meth

Staff member
and that's fair enough, he made the call and he has to stand by it, can't take it back

btw, thanks for Papali'i

glad to see him going well to be honest.

would also like to see Roache get a break with you guys too

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
glad to see him going well to be honest.

would also like to see Roache get a break with you guys too

he's injured again already, poor guy can't catch a break

he looked OK, decent defender

blaza88z

Coach
I can understand India wanting a best of 3, they are a nation with a population of 1.3 billion people, a best of 3 gives them the opportunity to use their depth where as a team like NZ if you were to take out one of their front line bowlers they're a completely different proposition.

Looking at the bowlers India put out in this game, they used their best bowlers but I don't think they used their best bowlers to suit those conditions (Bumrah was ineffective, replacing him with Bhuvneshwar Kumar I think was the right call) and in a best of 3, they'd get that chance to tamper with their attack due to the depth they have but if you look at NZ, who are they going to bring in? Matt Henry? it's not really the same is it.

They joke about it all the time but really (having beaten Australia with their 2nd or 3rd 11), India with their population and their passion for cricket should be winning everything but they rarely win anything outside of the sub-continent.

Meth

Staff member
I can understand India wanting a best of 3, they are a nation with a population of 1.3 billion people, a best of 3 gives them the opportunity to use their depth where as a team like NZ if you were to take out one of their front line bowlers they're a completely different proposition.

Looking at the bowlers India put out in this game, they used their best bowlers but I don't think they used their best bowlers to suit those conditions (Bumrah was ineffective, replacing him with Bhuvneshwar Kumar I think was the right call) and in a best of 3, they'd get that chance to tamper with their attack due to the depth they have but if you look at NZ, who are they going to bring in? Matt Henry? it's not really the same is it.

They joke about it all the time but really (having beaten Australia with their 2nd or 3rd 11), India with their population and their passion for cricket should be winning everything but they rarely win anything outside of the sub-continent.

India's depth is crazy good, no doubt. But I think we showed in the England second Test that we have some handy replacements. Young. Patel. As much as I don't rate Henry, he has been unlucky at times (and inconsistent at times) Also, he really seems to bowl well in England.

blaza88z

Coach
The original venue was Lords, which is entirely appropriate, and tbh it'd be great if it could be there every time. Not sure on one off either, but seemed to work, I think one off rules with a few rest days to ensure a full test is possible would help.

Despite the weather, that was a great test... I'm still staggered that we won, and that we made the final and are ranked #1... we're supposed to battle away and even at our best be, like #3 or 4... so much more fun than winning rugby, now if the Warriors can win a premiership...

I think it being a one off and India trying to get into a position with the bat to set NZ an unachievable target played a role in there being a result, some of those shots from the Indians were mind boggling. Pant had just lost his batting partner and then the next ball he's advancing trying to smash the NZ quick into the next county, it was ridiculous.

edabomb

First Grade
The single final holds neutral interest I think. A best of 3 between India and England would hold no interest to me.

shiznit

Coach
WTF? I just saw a story about Ross Taylor being racially abused by a couple of Indian fans yesterday…

Dudes the most placid guy around. Indians racially abusing a Samoan?

That’s a new f**king low…

JJ

Immortal
I think it being a one off and India trying to get into a position with the bat to set NZ an unachievable target played a role in there being a result, some of those shots from the Indians were mind boggling. Pant had just lost his batting partner and then the next ball he's advancing trying to smash the NZ quick into the next county, it was ridiculous.
Pant being Pant?

Latest posts