What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ wins World Championship of Cricket

JJ

Immortal
Cricket is just the greatest thing... I can't stop smiling, this doesn't seem real

JJ

Immortal
Big congratulations, first major trophy for NZ cricket.
We won an ICC 50 over thing when Flem was captain - but this is legit World Champions, and in the most important form - epic, especially after the obscure and stupid rule cost us a share of the one-day world cup

TheDMC

Bench
I love my league and a host of other sports, but cricket grips my soul like no other. Stoked!

Meth

Staff member
Massive. A massive win. There's so much to like about this cricket team. This cements this as more than 'nice guys'. They have a lethal bowling quarter (with depth) and some legitimate batting prowess. And a great team culture. A ruthless winning culture. This is the pinnacle they have been searching for. Bloody fantastic. Not sure there has been a bigger or better moment in NZ sport.

Massive. A massive win. There's so much to like about this cricket team. This cements this as more than 'nice guys'. They have a lethal bowling quarter (with depth) and some legitimate batting prowess. And a great team culture. A ruthless winning culture. This is the pinnacle they have been searching for. Bloody fantastic. Not sure there has been a bigger or better moment in NZ sport.
Initial America's cup win was pretty big.
(Not distracting from this massive achievement)
2008 Rugby league world cup was pretty big (for me) against a stacked Aussie team.
Will they get a parade?

Cricket is just the greatest thing... I can't stop smiling, this doesn't seem real
Watched them bowl India out, then had to sleep, woke up early to jump through highlights on Kayo.

Interesting trophy, single wicket with ball on top looking scepter

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Initial America's cup win was pretty big.
(Not distracting from this massive achievement)
2008 Rugby league world cup was pretty big (for me) against a stacked Aussie team.
Will they get a parade?

tbh, I have never really got into the Americas Cup

Rugby League World Cup was awesome, but really comes down to springing an upset on Australia on the day. It's hardly an internationally competitive sport.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Running on fumes today

The way Hesson and McCullum grabbed it and dragged the standards up was immense and Kane has carried that on nicely

This team is a very special unit, all the variations seam wise and some real world class quality with the bat with genuinely good performers sitting just below them, the depth is as good as we have ever had it. Just a world class spinner away from having all bases covered

Southee cops a lot of rubbish from fly by nighters that think they know the game, his last 20 tests have been Richard Hadlee numbers

Tim Paine said the Indians would win comfortably, jam that up your arse fella

JJ

Immortal
Ajaz is actually a very good spinner, terribly underrated and they have this fetish for Santner which is the real problem, fine white ball bowler, horrible test bowler

Blair

Coach
Tremendous news. I listened last night until the lunch break. I didn't know the rest until a mate informed me at work this afternoon!

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Ajaz is actually a very good spinner, terribly underrated and they have this fetish for Santner which is the real problem, fine white ball bowler, horrible test bowler

Yeah he is the best we have had for quite some time, trouble is they are obsessed with having a batting all rounder at 7. I feel for Santner in a way, thrust into the side with no grounding in first class cricket and you can’t learn at test level. The best thing that could happen for him is a full season county contract

It’s a shame they never gave Todd Astle a fair crack. All of Sodhis white ball contracts have killed his red ball game

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
A bit more on Hesson and McCullum

Hesson made the tough call that Taylor wasn’t the right man to lead us forward, and coped a huge amount of heat for that, and mcCullum was always ridiculously public enemy number 1 on talkback regardless of how he was going

The hate towards them reached its zenith when we were all out 45 in their first test after the big decision, and Baz had a look, decided this is the way we are doing things going forward, you’re either with it or you’re not, there we’re casualties along the way like Jesse Ryder, but they’ve stayed the course and ultimately we see the results of that now

Tactically it was McCullum who came up with Wagners short pitched style which Kane has carried on with huge success