What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Origin III - NSW 18-20 QLD @ Cbus Super

Series: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Munted

Bench
Hoping the NRL will find a way so stop merkins like Munster 'holding their line' and taking chasers out.
FFS, the merkin turns his head to see where Martin is and stops dead in his tracks as soon as Martin is nearby.
No eyes for the ball, only for the man = penalty.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Im all for a Mitch pile on, however am somewhat surprisingly going to go into bat for him here. To me he was ok and played exactly how I thought he would. He isnt a play maker and hasnt been for years. He's basically Adam Reynolds these days in that he just leads the team around and kicks on the last. TBF he does it very well. Against teams 7th and lower he will take the line on but never does against top teams, FYI he didnt get tackled once last night, not once.

Last night he did exactly what he does for Parra every week, he's not going to win you a big game but he can put you in a position to win it, you just need someone else to make the big play (unless its a bomb and hope) Turbo nearly did and Teddy tried but isnt what he was.

Pairing him with Simple jack was a horrible matchup. Latrell and Turbo needed to come infield to get the ball asthey were catching a cold out wide and thats on Fittler. If you're ever going to pick Mitch in origin you need to match him with a Keary, Luai or Walker. He and Cleary would be just as bad as he and Wighton.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Fittler deserves the majority of the blame for that loss. He's proven to be a terrible coach and just got lucky that he came into Origin when Smith, Thurston, Cronk all retired and he Slater for 2 games. He lost the unlosable series last year mainly off the back of terrible selctions.

Last night picked 2 props in the entire squad. has Murray and Crichton on the field at the same time but was playing Cam on an edge and Angus in the middle?!?!

Everyones spoken about the diabaolical halves pairing. NSW had 54% possession and field position and still lost.

Also no ones ever going to publicly say it in the media (Fox Sports this morning called him our best) but Teddy had a shocker and if we're being serious is probably NSW's 4th best fullback currently. I'm all for him giving him next series but he has lost a yard of pace, looks burnt out and has for a year now.

NSW are just lucky that they should shit the next 3-4 series in with ease if they are anyway serious as QLD are terrible and I dont see a lot else in the cupboard. Ponga/Munster/Walker/Grant should cause some problems moving forward but the 2-5 and pack are miles behind NSW.

The_Frog

First Grade
Once again, NSW showing no class in losing, by sooking about referees
They could have been overcome, but NSW weren't good enough. Getting a bit of ball to Tom would certainly have helped. Hard to imagine how the replacement halves couldn't work that out. But still the ref and the bunker were horrid.

Nevermind the one-on-one strip, the brilliant catch-and-kick earning a repeat set, the offload setting up Moses and Tedecso before they fluffed it, and 38 tackles (most on field), a lot of them shutting down half breaks, with 0 misses.

What a strange take.

Could have missed some of those on my trip to the fridge every now and then for a refill.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Nevermind the one-on-one strip, the brilliant catch-and-kick earning a repeat set, the offload setting up Moses and Tedecso before they fluffed it, and 38 tackles (most on field), a lot of them shutting down half breaks, with 0 misses.

What a strange take.
Yep, I suspect he didn't watch the whole game or just has a thing against Cam (who was one of the best on the field)

some11

Referee
Why’s that? I live in Sydney but wouldn’t mind living on the Gold Coast. Seems like a nice part of the world?
Mainly associated with schoolies type crowd and is a major hub for bikie activity.

Think of it like Vegas or something. Fun for a weekend but wouldn't want to live there. The hinterland is more where you'd want to live away from the riff-raff.

..... FYI he didnt get tackled once last night, not once.

Sorry Vic but you are in error. Go back and re-watch the disallowed try to Gagai in the first half. He hit Moses in a fair tackle, as he came thru his arm knocked the ball down from the pass Moses was trying to throw just as he hit Moses legally.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hoping the NRL will find a way so stop merkins like Munster 'holding their line' and taking chasers out.
FFS, the merkin turns his head to see where Martin is and stops dead in his tracks as soon as Martin is nearby.
No eyes for the ball, only for the man = penalty.

Ruling was correct there with Martin but fair dinkum I hate the rule. Melbourne do this all the time to “protect” their wingers. That said kick tries are a bore anyway. It shouldn’t have come down to that just give it to Latrell and Tommy T…it wasn’t rocket science

Fittler deserves the majority of the blame for that loss. He's proven to be a terrible coach and just got lucky that he came into Origin when Smith, Thurston, Cronk all retired and he Slater for 2 games. He lost the unlosable series last year mainly off the back of terrible selctions.

Last night picked 2 props in the entire squad. has Murray and Crichton on the field at the same time but was playing Cam on an edge and Angus in the middle?!?!

Everyones spoken about the diabaolical halves pairing. NSW had 54% possession and field position and still lost.

Also no ones ever going to publicly say it in the media (Fox Sports this morning called him our best) but Teddy had a shocker and if we're being serious is probably NSW's 4th best fullback currently. I'm all for him giving him next series but he has lost a yard of pace, looks burnt out and has for a year now.

NSW are just lucky that they should shit the next 3-4 series in with ease if they are anyway serious as QLD are terrible and I dont see a lot else in the cupboard. Ponga/Munster/Walker/Grant should cause some problems moving forward but the 2-5 and pack are miles behind NSW.

The picking extra second rowers instead of props has been going on for well over a decade. NSW selectors are just as much to blame as this has been going on long before Fittler or even Laurie Daley were appointed to coach NSW.

As to Tedesco, if you think he played badly you need your head read. Bad players don't go looking for the ball to inject themselves. They don't bob up all over the field, make more runs than any other player in the squad (24 compared to To'o and Turbo who hade 16) nor make the most meters in the team with ball in hand (204 meters, compared to To'o with 180 meters and Turbo with 147 meters). Thing is how many times when Tedesco ran was there no one pushing up in support with him? If you think that means he had a shocker, then sorry but you are a very poor judge.

NSW player stats, from fox Sports (source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/match-centre/SOO20210301/stats)

1626309691828.png

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Tedesco is a tricky one. You can't fault his effort last night, he was trying like buggery in attack but he stifled the most potent players in the backline (Turbo and Latrell) By ball hogging. Moses isn't an elite player and it was no surprise he was found out although he wasn't as big a shocker as is being made out. Wighton is not a five eight at the top level and seems to be selected as a reward. Cook was busy as usual. The kicking game from NSW was diabolical.

But credit to Queensland. Ponga has a touch of class in everything he does and made a huge difference to their team. Munster wasn't great but is always a handful. DCE controlled the game well and Hunt was outstanding.

NSW missed Saifiti who was outstanding in the first 2 games. A bit bias but I thought Papali with his extended minutes set the tone for the QLD forwards to neutralise the forward battle.

Anyway, the blues won the series and origin isn't dead.

Reflector

Juniors
I lived in "bang bang Nerang" as I used to call it
I once saw a guy walking down the street outside my house with a hockey mask and machete... "Nice" neighborhood but we moved out soon after that

Surfers is the worse, filled with roid rage pyschos
Burleigh Heads and pretty much everywhere south of there is nice. Broadbeach is more upmarket, Surfers is trashy as a tramp stamp on a spray tan and Southport feels like a commercial hub from south-western Sydney that's been plonked on the GC.

Munted

Bench
Ruling was correct there with Martin but fair dinkum I hate the rule. Melbourne do this all the time to “protect” their wingers. That said kick tries are a bore anyway. It shouldn’t have come down to that just give it to Latrell and Tommy T…it wasn’t rocket science
Yeah I'm ok with call, but the application of the rule is f**ked and I am extra Salty because it is Munster.
If the shoe is on the other foot and Martin barges Munster out of the way to get to the ball, he is likely penalised for interfering with the defender.

Reflector

Juniors
Got to say, If QLD had a fully fit side all series it could have been different

NSW well and truly deserved this years trophy but hopefully next year our boys can stay fit and QLD field the best team throughout the series, It will make for a great series
From a NSW fan perspective the series was a 9/10

From a purists' perspective the series wasn't a memorable one apart from the record books.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Sorry Vic but you are in error. Go back and re-watch the disallowed try to Gagai in the first half. He hit Moses in a fair tackle, as he came thru his arm knocked the ball down from the pass Moses was trying to throw just as he hit Moses legally.
my point is he didnt make a hit up

didnt relaise my wife was on LU with this standard of nit picking

50-6
26-0
18-20

94-26

Has there ever been a more lopsided aggregate scoreline in an Origin series?

The biggest points differential in a series was previously 62, by NSW in 2000. NSW in 2021 have indeed broken that record.

2000 SERIESQldNSW
GAME 1 SCORE1620
GAME 2 SCORE1028
GAME 3 SCORE1656
TOTAL42104
DIFFERENTIAL-6262
SERIES03

The most points scored in a series is NSW in 2000 with 104 (as above). This record remains.

The least points scored in a series is QLD in 1992, with 15. This record remains.

1992 SERIESQldNSW
GAME 1 SCORE614
GAME 2 SCORE54
GAME 3 SCORE416
TOTAL1534
DIFFERENTIAL-1919
SERIES12

Latest posts