What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

Jim Rockford

Bench
Somebody has allowed their elephant to take control of the rider, ha ha.

Seriously though, spare me the faux outrage.

I previously volunteered in and around bush footy for years and years, and everything I said is reflective of the reality facing bush footy, especially in southern NSW. But what starts in Southern NSW will reach further and further north if it's not stopped.
Not outraged. Just don't appreciate worthless pieces of shit like you calling my cousin a poser. What I said still stands. These "posers" as you call them are true fans and you are a try-hard little turd.

Only a person from Sydney would say something like that with a straight face.

You are off your head if you think that the BRL and QRL aren't/weren't very important in Queensland, and don't hold sway with fans in the region.
I care more about the BRL clubs than anything from the NSWRL. If all 9 Sydney NRL clubs went bust I wouldn't shed a tear, although I would be sad for their fans. Whenever a BRL club went bust it felt like a part of Brisbane's culture died.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The GEMBA report reckons there are only around 26k RL fans in Brisbane not supporting an existing NRL club. The new clubs is going to have to convert a reasonable portion of fans who already support an existing club if it is to be successful. Given that only an estimated 10% of fans become members and even less attend games regularly its a fair swag of fans they need to convince to get behind them.

Not by the sort of people whom will be inclined to support a second Brisbane club. You know the sort of people whom hate the Broncos.

I wonder what is one of the main reasons why many people in Brisbane hate Broncos. Care to explain to him @Get Rid of The Donkeys?
I find the Broncos brand to be souless and unrepresentative of Brisbane's rich RL history. Maroon is the state colour, whereas Brisbane uses gold and blue. I hate how they wanted SEQ all to themselves, as it deprived RL fans from seeing a live game every week after the BRL became a feeder competition.

They f**ked the Scorpions around in 1988 by not allowing Alan Cann to play in BRL A Grade. Logan needed a talent like Alan Cann as it was their debut season in A Grade and they were short on talent. Scorpions coach John Barber was furious about it.

mongoose

Coach
The GEMBA report reckons there are only around 26k RL fans in Brisbane not supporting an existing NRL club. The new clubs is going to have to convert a reasonable portion of fans who already support an existing club if it is to be successful. Given that only an estimated 10% of fans become members and even less attend games regularly its a fair swag of fans they need to convince to get behind them.

What about non RL fans? new fans can come from anywhere.... My missus became a Broncos member in her late 20s, didn't give a stuff about RL before that. She just got into it through her work and it became a social outing with her work friends. Plenty of migrants always coming into the country who want to assimilate and following a local sports team is a good way to show that... and I know plenty who have done that.

Jamberoo

Juniors
They don't have to come from Redcliffe, but unfortunately a team based in Redcliffe called the Dolphins is going to appeal to people from that part of the city significantly more than to people from other parts of the city, and that is a massive disadvantage when it comes to building a broad and diverse fanbase from across the city, a fanbase that they will need if the club is to be truly successful in the NRL.

It's a pretty basic equation; do we want clubs that appeal to smaller regional niches, or do we want clubs built to appeal to the broadest audience possible, and the answer has to be the latter if we want to build the biggest most sustainable and successful clubs possible.
Not necessarily. See Fremantle Dockers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With an expansion decision continuing to be delayed it looks like if we stick with the original entry date a new club will only have one year to prepare. Is that long enough? I guess given the club will already exist and it’s just about signing coaches and a first team squad it would still be possible?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No in other words I've answered your first question dozens of times, the second you are simply objectively wrong as your own source shows, and the third isn't worth my time as you have proved yourself incapable of having a rational discussion about it multiple times.

I mean the fact that you pretend the criticism I made in that post doesn't exist is just further evidence that you're not worth the time.
I've sent you a few contradictory posts you've made. None of what you present is evidence that the Dolphins or for that matter the Jets or Firehawks won't work as Brisbane 2, it is just your opinion.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That's not to say that people that are existing Broncos fans can't attend games and buy memberships as well. Plus there are the new fans that the club will draw in the future, the bandwagoners that will boost the derby attendance each year. Honestly, if the crushers could average 25k in 1995, the new club, whichever it is won't have a problem doing that.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not necessarily. See Fremantle Dockers.
The situation in Perth is completely different to the one in Brisbane.

The main difference is that that the Eagles have sold out their allocation of season tickets for decades now with a long waiting list to get your hands one, which creates huge opportunities for Fremantle that simply won't be available to the second Brisbane club and completely changes the dynamic of the whole market.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I've sent you a few contradictory posts you've made.
I'm sure that if you go though my thousands of posts that you can find plenty of contradictions. In fact if you go back to some of my very early posts you can find me advocating for the Valley Diehards to get an NRL license.

It's totally normal for people to change their minds as they think on things and are presented new evidence.
None of what you present is evidence that the Dolphins or for that matter the Jets or Firehawks won't work as Brisbane 2, it is just your opinion.
I'm sorry but this (and other similar examples) aren't opinions, they are undeniable events, that happened because of well researched trends in social and evolutionary psychology. I mean this is all extremely basic in-group and out-group stuff (look it up).

Those aren't simply opinions, you have to address them and at least try to explain why the Dolphins and Jets will be different to other teams that have attempted exactly what they are attempting and failed, and why people in Brisbane won't follow the observed patterns of human behaviour.

I fully expect you to just ignore all that and continue to pretend that I haven't presented anything, like you always do, which again is why this discussion isn't worth the time.

mongoose

Coach
I guess the NRL is banking on the people of Brisbane wanting to see a local established brand promoted to the NRL and the feel good story around that. They must play 90% of games at Suncorp otherwise its a waste of time, but If the NRL and whichever club gets picked can market it the right way - sell it as a story of a local battling community club stepping up into the big time I think it could definitely work.

Brisbane media is extremely pro-rugby league, more so than the Sydney media. They will promote the hell out of the new club no matter who it is.

siv

First Grade
amateur player registration point of view, and thats the responsibility of the NRL/NRLVic not the Melbourne Storm.
And thats the problem in your thinking

They just rebranded those NRL Vic junior comps in the same manner as Sydney ie the Junior Storm League

And we are getting NSW Country areas rebranded as Tigers, Roosters and Bulldogs

Jim Rockford

Bench

They just rebranded those NRL Vic junior comps in the same manner as Sydney ie the Junior Storm League

It's the Perth Red "Pass The Buck" strategy. Storm shouldn't have to do anything that someone else can do for them. He then wonders why the Drizzle are so hated.

siv

First Grade
Anyone trying to quote attendances during 1995 to 1999 to prop up arguments will be same people falling into the same trap during the covid decade of 2020-2029 to prop up arguments

Jamberoo

Juniors
The situation in Perth is completely different to the one in Brisbane.

The main difference is that that the Eagles have sold out their allocation of season tickets for decades now with a long waiting list to get your hands one, which creates huge opportunities for Fremantle that simply won't be available to the second Brisbane club and completely changes the dynamic of the whole market.
Not true. Freo was announced in 1993. Eagles won the premiership the year before but could only manage one crowd over 35k at Subiaco (capacity 42k) in 1993. They upgraded the stadium in 1994 and when they returned there in 1995 they only had two games of 11 within 10k of capacity. What actually happened in Perth is that the new team and rivalry increased interest AFL - it was 2003 before Eagles games were sold out each week, which in turn led to a massive increase in Fremantle’s membership.
Anyway, you missed my point that supporters will come from all over the city if you present an decent alternative/rivalry. Fremantle is to Perth what Redcliffe is to Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore

That’s just marketing, not responsibility.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not true. Freo was announced in 1993. Eagles won the premiership the year before but could only manage one crowd over 35k at Subiaco (capacity 42k) in 1993. They upgraded the stadium in 1994 and when they returned there in 1995 they only had two games of 11 within 10k of capacity. What actually happened in Perth is that the new team and rivalry increased interest AFL - it was 2003 before Eagles games were sold out each week, which in turn led to a massive increase in Fremantle’s membership.
Anyway, you missed my point that supporters will come from all over the city if you present an decent alternative/rivalry. Fremantle is to Perth what Redcliffe is to Brisbane.
Sigh... Selling out your allocation of season tickets doesn't mean that you will sell out every game, they are two different things. BTW, Freo's jump in members and attendance in 03 coincided with them making the finals for the first time, so yeah...

You also don't need to appeal to a niche regional market to create an derby and intercity rivalry.

It's basic mathematics; the product that can appeal to a larger consumer base will sell more than the others. Yes you can you find the odd exception to the rule, Green Bay being the most famous in sport, but they are the exception that proves the rule.

Latest posts