What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 19 vs Sydney @ Sunshine Coast Stadium

Who will win? Round 19: Sydney v Newcastle

• Sydney Roosters 13+

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Sydney Roosters 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yosh

Coach
Also get the feeling Walker will be throwing rainbow passes and catching out Young on several occasions.

But on a positive note, with Mann in the side, we’ll be able to counter Walker’s rainbow passes with hospital passes.

He will have to throw it at least 3 metres into the air because Dom is tall and has some hang time!

Jono078

Referee
Funny how things change around here. At the beginning of the year Pearce was our weak link and now we can’t play without him.
To be fair Pearce had his worst season in first grade last year. In the time he's played this year he does seem to have a bit more purpose about his game.

But yeah the amount we fall apart without him is a real concern..

perverse

Referee
Funny how things change around here. At the beginning of the year Pearce was our weak link and now we can’t play without him.
I don't feel like I've changed my tune too much. Might have thrown a few expletives mid-game at him from time to time, but have copped a lot of shit for sticking up for the bloke too. Blind Freddy can see how important he is to the team right now, and Cliffords arrival has maybe highlighted that he had some muppets outside him too.

We used to pay Joey around 15% of our salary cap, and he was a half that could carry a team by himself. Some people expected the same from one we're paying 9-10% of our cap right now, even less next year - and is on the decline at the back portion of his career. Dumb for the club to expect it from him, but dumb for fans to hold it against him too.

I mean, it's not the first time the Knights, and the fans, have expected our #7 to just go out there and be Joey, either. A bloke by the name of Jarrod Mullen struggled with the role for a long time - and often divided fans. I can only think of one year when Knights fans were universally satisfied with their halfback since Johns retirement, and that was 2018 - when Pearce needed to damn near win the Dally M (despite missing 10 games) to keep us happy.

perverse

Referee
And also, imagine being the Cowboys and paying $800k for Chad Townsend next year. lol. That's where the open market for halves is at in the NRL right now. We're so lucky that we timed signing Clifford when we did. There's a good chance he's worth double - or more - what we're paying him when contract time rolls around again.

Jono078

Referee
And also, imagine being the Cowboys and paying $800k for Chad Townsend next year. lol. That's where the open market for halves is at in the NRL right now. We're so lucky that we timed signing Clifford when we did. There's a good chance he's worth double - or more - what we're paying him when contract time rolls around again.
This one is staggering. The Cowboys have effectively ruined their next 3 seasons with an overpaid average half that will probably let in more tries than he sets up.

On another half related note - I do feel for Phoenix, he's been robbed of 2 years to hone his craft in reserve grade, can't underestimate how much that would have hindered his progress.

PhilGould

Bench
Who is expecting Pearce to be Joey? If anyone has the expectation to carry the team and pull wins out of their backside it's Ponga.

Is it too much to ask for the million dollar halfback with 20 odd Origin appearances and a grand final win under his belt to play at least consistently decent football and not repeatedly embarrass himself and the club with his off-field behavior?

perverse

Referee
Who is expecting Pearce to be Joey? If anyone has the expectation to carry the team and pull wins out of their backside it's Ponga.

Is it too much to ask for the million dollar halfback with 20 odd Origin appearances and a grand final win under his belt to play at least consistently decent football and not repeatedly embarrass himself and the club with his off-field behavior?
Edit - you know what, I'm not getting into it any further. My policy of just not talking about Pearce at all was a better one. How can I compete with such nuanced, insightful takes as "MiLLiOn DollAr HaLfBaCk". I'm out. Too over repeating myself.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
I'll put my hand up for being wrong on Pearce. His on-field production is still ordinary but he's the only bloke in the squad that can get some kind of consistency in effort areas from the rest of them, and that's just as valuable as being able to put in a decent kick.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Agreed. Pearce is lacking in a couple of departments but his effort is always there and he delivers some intangibles that we definitely need.

I know he always gets criticised for running the ball too much or at the wrong times but I’m a firm believer that you’re halves need to be prepared to run when they see something. Just look at Mitch Moses playing for NSW the other night, he literally didn’t take the line on all game and QLD just ate it up. Also he wasn’t really creating anything for his outside players either because he wasn’t committing defenders. Pearce at least plays eyes up and when he sees something he takes the line on. Sure he doesn’t come up with heaps of line breaks but he asks questions of the defence regularly and that means the defence can’t just slide off to the outside. Also he’s not scared to take a hit, he has set up a lot of tries to our forwards over the last few years by going to the line and playing square.

Anyway now that he’s injured again Phoenix gets another chance. He showed some maturity when he got a few games earlier in the season so let’s see if he can improve on that.

Old dog

Juniors
Agree with some of the above comment, Crosslands has been robbed of experience with reserve grade shut down but has shown promise, hopefully 2022 gets back to normal .Buying Clifford prior to the halfback boom was a good move. Pearce has never been a great player but gives a 100% when on field but it’s his drive to win that brings his teammates along with him ideally his style is what’s needed in a captain but leave that to Brailey and Dan they can talk to the Ref and just let Pearce run the show and go stuff the No7 generally runs the plays.
We are a better and more competitive side with Pearce on the paddock.

Yosh

Coach
Agreed. Pearce is lacking in a couple of departments but his effort is always there and he delivers some intangibles that we definitely need.

I know he always gets criticised for running the ball too much or at the wrong times but I’m a firm believer that you’re halves need to be prepared to run when they see something. Just look at Mitch Moses playing for NSW the other night, he literally didn’t take the line on all game and QLD just ate it up. Also he wasn’t really creating anything for his outside players either because he wasn’t committing defenders. Pearce at least plays eyes up and when he sees something he takes the line on. Sure he doesn’t come up with heaps of line breaks but he asks questions of the defence regularly and that means the defence can’t just slide off to the outside. Also he’s not scared to take a hit, he has set up a lot of tries to our forwards over the last few years by going to the line and playing square.

Anyway now that he’s injured again Phoenix gets another chance. He showed some maturity when he got a few games earlier in the season so let’s see if he can improve on that.

He broke his back basically in the first half and kept playing all game and made some huge defensive plays. Can't blame the bloke for not running.

Yosh

Coach
We are using the same resort as the Roosters. Also apparently using the same common room. Hopefully this means that a lot of good rubs off onto our lads. Roosters are up there with the most professional clubs, so I think it's one of the best things to happen to the club.

Also, controversial opinion incoming, I think we don't lose much on the field when King comes on for Klemmer. King has improved leaps and bounds since Klemmer came. Really held his own last week as well. Klemmer is probably a huge plus off the field but on the field I don't mind King these days.

Jono078

Referee
Also, controversial opinion incoming, I think we don't lose much on the field when King comes on for Klemmer. King has improved leaps and bounds since Klemmer came. Really held his own last week as well. Klemmer is probably a huge plus off the field but on the field I don't mind King these days.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I certainly have some that fit the minority, but I can't agree with this.

I think everyone agrees we haven't received peak Klemmer, but to suggest King is on his level (and I've liked King's progression) is a bit out there.

This will add fuel to Moley's rumour too but it did sound like Klem did have a bad concussion.

Who comes into the 17? Jack Johns?

Wet weather up here right now. Light showers hanging around at least until kickoff

Wouldn't expect too much free flowing footy

Latest posts