What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tevita Pangai Jr

Big Pete

Referee
Signed to the Bulldogs for 2022.

Released effectively immediately to the Penrith Panthers.

Big Pete

Referee
The situation surrounding Pangai Jr is so bizarre.

It starts back at Canberra where Tevita was the star of their NYC side but Ricky Stuart didn't value Pangai Jr as a first grader and was happy to release him early from his contract.

Fast forward to 2020 and after an indifferent run of form which included several stints on the sideline for suspensions, Pangai tried to get himself sacked by the club by breaching the COVID bubble only for Lockyer to step in at the 11th hour to keep him.

Tevita was one of the Broncos best forwards this season, but results still weren't going the club's way. It seemed like everything came to a head when Tevita met with Michael Maguire without the club's permission.

What makes the situation so bizarre is that Pangai has breached the rules twice and yet appears to be getting rewarded. Firstly by being able to join a club while they're a serious shot at winning a premiership and then signing a bigger contract at Canterbury. Meanwhile Brisbane are supposedly paying $200,000 in severance, which will somehow come off next year's cap. With Penrith spending $100,000 on this year's cap, it will only be $100,000 according to Paul Kent.

I'm going cross-eyed.

Once again it's indicative of the horrible management at the club but also how broken the system is. How are the Broncos paying any of the difference when Canterbury are paying him $2.2 Million?

Bronco18

Juniors
The situation surrounding Pangai Jr is so bizarre.

It starts back at Canberra where Tevita was the star of their NYC side but Ricky Stuart didn't value Pangai Jr as a first grader and was happy to release him early from his contract.

Fast forward to 2020 and after an indifferent run of form which included several stints on the sideline for suspensions, Pangai tried to get himself sacked by the club by breaching the COVID bubble only for Lockyer to step in at the 11th hour to keep him.

Tevita was one of the Broncos best forwards this season, but results still weren't going the club's way. It seemed like everything came to a head when Tevita met with Michael Maguire without the club's permission.

What makes the situation so bizarre is that Pangai has breached the rules twice and yet appears to be getting rewarded. Firstly by being able to join a club while they're a serious shot at winning a premiership and then signing a bigger contract at Canterbury. Meanwhile Brisbane are supposedly paying $200,000 in severance, which will somehow come off next year's cap. With Penrith spending $100,000 on this year's cap, it will only be $100,000 according to Paul Kent.

I'm going cross-eyed.

Once again it's indicative of the horrible management at the club but also how broken the system is. How are the Broncos paying any of the difference when Canterbury are paying him $2.2 Million?

I said it in a different thread but with the lack of respect for contracts and the late transfer deadline, what’s to stop players like this jumping ship to have a crack at the premiership on short deals?

There aren’t many with his talent to make this a thing every season, but there’s plenty with TPJ’s attitude (Mitch Moses dragging his knuckles a couple of years back to get traded out by Wests comes to mind).

Big Pete

Referee
I said it in a different thread but with the lack of respect for contracts and the late transfer deadline, what’s to stop players like this jumping ship to have a crack at the premiership on short deals?

There aren’t many with his talent to make this a thing every season, but there’s plenty with TPJ’s attitude (Mitch Moses dragging his knuckles a couple of years back to get traded out by Wests comes to mind).
I'd imagine the NRL will have to intervene otherwise it could get real ugly. I could see a lot of player agents dragging deals out until around the Origin period and then pressuring the clubs to grant their clients early releases so they can take up an opportunity.

Bumping it back to June 30 would be a start.

I think the cap and the way the game develops players really needs to be reviewed in general.

Big Pete

Referee
Thoughts and prayers go out to Pangai Jr and his partner Anna after they lost their baby 24 weeks into pregnancy.

I feel gutted for him and I hope they're taking good care of themselves.

Latest posts