What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes Dragon Dave, Paul is a Dragon and so is the Boss of Bingo waste, that’s the problem. It will never change till they, the Illawarra side is gone or maybe they want the Dragon side gone, then we are stand alone or don’t exist.
The NRL would not get anywhere without the Dragons being part of it. They need us but when we cop all of the suspensions, you would think not.

Our members of the BOD and Mr Gordon are Steelers/Dragons supporters and they just need to do what the Bulldogs have had to do because once you hit rock bottom you can only afford to be at that lowest ebb for only one season otherwise it would get even tougher to rise up the ladder.

I'll be following the progress of the Bulldogs with interest next year. Not as a fan, because they will always be our enemy, but to see if all these changes will result in success for future years to come.

possm

Coach
I thought QLD were the better team however, I thought there was a knock on when the player (can't remember name) passed it back inside to Ponga who stuck his hand up when they made a break in the play before Hunt scored his second try. Also the obstruction by Munster inside his own 20m area, he knew exactly what he was doing and got away with it. Can't have QLD losing 3 games in QLD, not good for business.
We badly missed our halves and the forwards just did not stand tall. But who cares, we won the series and non of our boys were injured.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Yeah I’m very confused into how slow the club has been in announcing the signings of Su’a and Burgess

Finucane is still in my opinion a long shot considering their is 6 other clubs after him but if we are to be believed that we have offered him a very big 3 year deal that could change
I would love for Finucane to be added to our prop rotation. The would give us the quality we need to get the job done:
Burgess
Finucane
Molo
Lawrie / Kerr

Would make a great prop rotation.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The NRL would not get anywhere without the Dragons being part of it. They need us but when we cop all of the suspensions, you would think not.

Our members of the BOD and Mr Gordon are Steelers/Dragons supporters and they just need to do what the Bulldogs have had to do because once you hit rock bottom you can only afford to be at that lowest ebb for only one season otherwise it would get even tougher to rise up the ladder.

I'll be following the progress of the Bulldogs with interest next year. Not as a fan, because they will always be our enemy, but to see if all these changes will result in success for future years to come.

The Bulldogs are walking a very fine line imo with their signings.
I can't remember exactly the Salary Cap for next year, but i thinks its around the 9.5m mark give or take.

Each team must have a squad of 30.

If we look closrly at who they've signed (media reported)

TPj - 750k
Addo- Carr - 550k
Burton - 500k
Naden - 200k
Dufty - 150k (estimate)
Thats around 2.15m in 5 players
Add in the rumour of Vaughan @ 400k
2.55m in 6 players

Cotric on 600k
Jackson on 600k
Thompson on 725k
Now at 4.475m for 9 players

No idea what Allan, Averillo, Elliott ,RFM or Flannagan are on, and there's a few more they have re-signed.

However, if you use 9.5m less the 4.475m that only leaves roughly 5m shared amongst 21 players or 238k.

To me they are looking more like the recent Broncos squad. Top heavy and no balance.

Trent is going for a quick fix/result. If it doesn't eventuate the Dogs will be in a world of pain, moreso than what they are now.

I would say...burgers look great in photos until you get it for real.

Dragon David

First Grade
The Bulldogs are walking a very fine line imo with their signings.
I can't remember exactly the Salary Cap for next year, but i thinks its around the 9.5m mark give or take.

Each team must have a squad of 30.

If we look closrly at who they've signed (media reported)

TPj - 750k
Addo- Carr - 550k
Burton - 500k
Naden - 200k
Dufty - 150k (estimate)
Thats around 2.15m in 5 players
Add in the rumour of Vaughan @ 400k
2.55m in 6 players

Cotric on 600k
Jackson on 600k
Thompson on 725k
Now at 4.475m for 9 players

No idea what Allan, Averillo, Elliott ,RFM or Flannagan are on, and there's a few more they have re-signed.

However, if you use 9.5m less the 4.475m that only leaves roughly 5m shared amongst 21 players or 238k.

To me they are looking more like the recent Broncos squad. Top heavy and no balance.

Trent is going for a quick fix/result. If it doesn't eventuate the Dogs will be in a world of pain, moreso than what they are now.

I would say...burgers look great in photos until you get it for real.
You could be right Dragonslayer. A quick fix for a good year then dramas again after that maybe.

thebigredv

First Grade
I know we are supposedly signing Burgess but I'd be happy for Dragons to give Leeson Ah Mau a second stint at the club. He served us so well for a good 5 years or so, and he's one guy who will consistently show up.

I don't know if it is something he'd consider and whether he is strongly rooted in NZ but he is off contract so worth a sticky beak. Obviously assuming the Finnucane signing is not happening.

Mjab

Juniors
I know we are supposedly signing Burgess but I'd be happy for Dragons to give Leeson Ah Mau a second stint at the club. He served us so well for a good 5 years or so, and he's one guy who will consistently show up.

I don't know if it is something he'd consider and whether he is strongly rooted in NZ but he is off contract so worth a sticky beak. Obviously assuming the Finnucane signing is not happening.
Loved Leeson when he was here and sad to see him go
not sure now 5 years on if’s he best days are gone though

mickeylane

Bench
I think he's doing OK
I think he is a 50minute players these days not 80
Wheres
You could be right Dragonslayer. A quick fix for a good year then dramas again after that maybe.
Can tell you something the comp next year will be a lot closer and more open than this year...expect Cronulla, Bulldogs, Broncos, and ourselves to be more competitive, Souths to drop a rung w Demetriou in charge and no Reynolds .

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Did JDB on the wknd show he can play prop if need be ie specifically taking the early hitups?

I saw enough and if Dale came along as a no13 then im loving our middle rotation with Molo, Kerr, LAwrie, JDB etc

Maybe JDB can make the same adjustment as Fisher Harris which has been a revelation or Kite when he went from backrow to frontrow

The game is super quick and JDB like Harris is similar in their agility and strength

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Did JDB on the wknd show he can play prop if need be ie specifically taking the early hitups?

I saw enough and if Dale came along as a no13 then im loving our middle rotation with Molo, Kerr, LAwrie, JDB etc

Maybe JDB can make the same adjustment as Fisher Harris which has been a revelation or Kite when he went from backrow to frontrow

The game is super quick and JDB like Harris is similar in their agility and strength
I thought JDB had minimal impact at Prop. He is just too small. For all the talk about the speed of the game making the really big men obsolete, it has just not manifested as such. Think Saifiti, Peseka, Bromwich, Haas etc. The critical issue is bench rotation for the big men.

The way the game has evolved is showing the value of a ball playing #13 who can play one off the ruck, pass selectively but straighten when required. Think Yeo, Trbojevic, Radley. JDB plays this role perfectly for us.

Personally I would not sign Finuncane. He would do wonders for the culture, but at 29 is $1.8M worth it when we have committed to another 3 years for JDB who plays the same position?

We talk about culture change and it has to automatically improve with Norman, Vaughan, Dufty etc leaving. It's a pity we are still chained down with JDB and McGuire but that is life.

The culture has started to shift with the appointment of Webb and Griffin. Slowly, slowly.

BLM01

First Grade
I thought JDB had minimal impact at Prop. He is just too small. For all the talk about the speed of the game making the really big men obsolete, it has just not manifested as such. Think Saifiti, Peseka, Bromwich, Haas etc. The critical issue is bench rotation for the big men.

The way the game has evolved is showing the value of a ball playing #13 who can play one off the ruck, pass selectively but straighten when required. Think Yeo, Trbojevic, Radley. JDB plays this role perfectly for us.

Personally I would not sign Finuncane. He would do wonders for the culture, but at 29 is $1.8M worth it when we have committed to another 3 years for JDB who plays the same position?

We talk about culture change and it has to automatically improve with Norman, Vaughan, Dufty etc leaving. It's a pity we are still chained down with JDB and McGuire but that is life.

The culture has started to shift with the appointment of Webb and Griffin. Slowly, slowly.
Dale can play 8 or 10. Plays more like that anyway than a normal 13. Did so in origin

BLM01

First Grade

I thought for his first stint there fir a long while he did OK. Pushed a lot of minutes out.. looked.fatigued but had more impact than any other middle man except the Warriors guy who did not get big minutes
Everyone knows the team played ordinary
It is not an excuse I would use but I still think the prior 2 weeks with all that went on and travel / moving took its toll on everybody incl Hook

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
All this noise about the impending rise of the Bulldogs.. I tell you one thing, they're going to want almost immediate success with all the signings they've made.

Barret had a pretty good squad when he was in charge of Manly, and how did that go?

If they don't jump out of the blocks the pressure will build fast

Latest posts