What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

St Tangles

Bench
All this noise about the impending rise of the Bulldogs.. I tell you one thing, they're going to want almost immediate success with all the signings they've made.

Barret had a pretty good squad when he was in charge of Manly, and how did that go?

If they don't jump out of the blocks the pressure will build fast
Agree

I thought they'd improve this year

I think they will move up a bit but not sure their squad is very well balanced

I think they have done as we have previously made some desperation signings

blacksafake

First Grade
All this noise about the impending rise of the Bulldogs.. I tell you one thing, they're going to want almost immediate success with all the signings they've made.

Barret had a pretty good squad when he was in charge of Manly, and how did that go?

Agree.
Imo there is a big doubt over their spine.
Not sure whether Burton is a better 3 or 4 than a 6. They've paid the Fox spine money but he's likely a better winger. Dufty??not to mention their 7 & 9.
And of course Barrett.

St Tangles

Bench
Agree.
Imo there is a big doubt over their spine.
Not sure whether Burton is a better 3 or 4 than a 6. They've paid the Fox spine money but he's likely a better winger. Dufty??not to mention their 7 & 9.
And of course Barrett.
Agree on their spine.
Burton is good but can't do it all himself.
I can see them making a Luke Brooks type purchase.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
You could be right Dragonslayer. A quick fix for a good year then dramas again after that maybe.
Duf isn't going to magically transform into a complete full-back just because he's changed clubs so it will be interesting to see how he (and Gould) manage Dufty. I'll be surprised if Addo-Carr isn't their full-back by year's end in 2022.

I'll also be interested to see if Barrett and Gould are still talking by the end of 2022!

BLM01

First Grade

That’s why they’ve got the help for him because he couldn’t do it on his own...
coach those elite players
It helps when your club is willing to throw money at the football club
In saying that if anyone thinks Vaughan would except just 400 K so quickly and 50% of his current salary without shopping around then we are all as gullible as can be
it’s probably 400 K on paper plus whatever else they can get away with in third parties and others but that does not get added on by the media who are bowing to and won’t derail the Dogs now due to the Gus signing
He has a lot if pulling power and had friends in high places like Packer
A prop of Vaughn status is easily worth minimum 500 up to 650 in the current market
if not more at a current club coming last 🤔

Dragon David

First Grade
That’s why they’ve got the help for him because he couldn’t do it on his own...
coach those elite players
It helps when your club is willing to throw money at the football club
In saying that if anyone thinks Vaughan would except just 400 K so quickly and 50% of his current salary without shopping around then we are all as gullible as can be
it’s probably 400 K on paper plus whatever else they can get away with in third parties and others but that does not get added on by the media who are bowing to and won’t derail the Dogs now due to the Gus signing
He has a lot if pulling power and had friends in high places like Packer
A prop of Vaughn status is easily worth minimum 500 up to 650 in the current market
if not more at a current club coming last 🤔
These new and proposed players they are getting/going for. Will they have the Doggies at heart or just getting the moolah. The old gang of Mortimers, Hughes etc played their heart and soul for the club. Will these new recruits have the same passion. I doubt it and Gould will be giving them all hell!

Mjab

Juniors
I understand that players have a small earning window especially if thats all they are capable of
I understand truly elite players eg A Johns, Thurston, Slater, Cam Smith etc are truly elite and should be able to pull whatever they can get. These players are winners and true competitors , they are desperate to win every single game they play and even if u pay $1m or more a year they are value.
Players say NRL makes a lot of money and they deserve their cut of that and so want big money

Sadly then there is the rest, pretty average toilers , solid players

and the Dreggs eg people like Norman and Co (many of them) paid massive overs , ridiculous money, no week in week out effort. Norman doesnt look like he cares less week in week out. Does he put $35K worth of effort in for this weeks pay , I doubt it.

Vaughn and others similar never should be on $850K a year for what they offer a club , to me its obscene . Half that to me is more reasonable and thats for massive week in week out effort,

I like Hunt , he puts in every week. Is he worth what we paid , No
If he was on 2/3 that yes and also he and Ash Taylor get mental demons on that money. Clubs expect some return and they should.

Terrible performing players like Norman should be able to have their contracts terminated for non performance much more easily than they do
We were lucky we could sack Vaughn for 3 offences and save 850 off next year
I wish we could have dropped Norman to reserve grade 3 x for a month and sacked him as well

kit66

Bench
These new and proposed players they are getting/going for. Will they have the Doggies at heart or just getting the moolah. The old gang of Mortimers, Hughes etc played their heart and soul for the club. Will these new recruits have the same passion. I doubt it and Gould will be giving them all hell!

I'm not sure that kind of passion still exists sadly. Maybe some of the young'ns have that club passion but a lot of the older guys seem a bit jaded. It's all money, jealousy and egos these days. Serious rifts between players and coaches are a lot more common and so to is this mid season club jumping. Contracts mean bugger all. If Barrett can hold them together though they'll have a good run over the next couple of years. He might have to use the Brownie slap to keep them in line.

thebigredv

First Grade

Trent Barrett knows all about playing with a team of stars for no reward, comes down to coaching. He'll have Gould pulling the strings and how long before the disharmony erupts....

Still, credit to them for giving their selves a good chance.

I reckon our club is still too slow to the party on retention, no great foresight.

Finucane may be pricing himself out of the market, with latest rumour being he is seeking a 4 year $3.2 mill deal to sign with Sharks. He may well be worth 600k- 800k next year, but not sure if that value is going to be the same in years 2 - 4.

Maybe he knows he has a fallback to stay with Storm, and just upping the ante to see if he gets a surprising windfall.

If true, I hope we drop off our interest in him.

Dragon David

First Grade
Finucane may be pricing himself out of the market, with latest rumour being he is seeking a 4 year $3.2 mill deal to sign with Sharks. He may well be worth 600k- 800k next year, but not sure if that value is going to be the same in years 2 - 4.

Maybe he knows he has a fallback to stay with Storm, and just upping the ante to see if he gets a surprising windfall.

If true, I hope we drop off our interest in him.
If the Sharks are willing to pay $3.2M for Finucane over 4 years, they must really want him bad. Having him and Hynes at the club could produce the winning of games for the club on a regular basis. They will be much stronger and they intend to be a club similar to the Roosters/Storm. As with the Bulldogs, they are doing things I am quite jealous of actually.

Trifili13

Juniors
If a player is after $800k a season, I would want them to be the go to player to win games. For all that Finucane brings, he is not that player IMO.
I would rather try and poach Tedesco from the Roosters for that sort of money as he is surely earning less as they all play for unders at that club due to its culture.

hewi

Bench
The Dragons have delivered an ultimatum to the Wests Tigers over Moses Mbye, get the deal done for the rest of the season or it’s off the table.

Mbye was linked to the Dragons earlier in the season only for a potential mid-season switch to fizzle out.

The 27-year-old, on $900,000 a season, has previously indicated he is open to a switch after standing down form the captaincy and finding himself in different positions during the year

If it means goodbye Corey let’s do it ASAP

Mjab

Juniors
Did Mbye sign when cleary was there??
Maybe just not a madge player
He was good at dogs and hes not that old
seems try harder than Norman and could do some hooker time

I hope he is well subsidised though as he isnt a $900 K player thats for sure

Out of interest did Reynolds go to Super League ?

ChocOConnor

Juniors
As much as I would like Finucane we already have a lock in JDB. He looks the goods to the storm where I’d hate to say it Norman may look good. JDB is also a better player than Dale may be not a better human but at 600 I’d say yes for 3 years but at 8’s I’ll drive him to that shit hole place called Cronulla. All this talk of Ftizgibbon good luck to him but even now it is evident that without a star stacked side old Robbo amd Fitzgibbon are no Bellyache or bennet

Draginzaaar

Bench
Did Mbye sign when cleary was there??
Maybe just not a madge player
He was good at dogs and hes not that old
seems try harder than Norman and could do some hooker time

I hope he is well subsidised though as he isnt a $900 K player thats for sure

Out of interest did Reynolds go to Super League ?
Which Reynolds? Josh? Yes he went to Super League and now has COVID.