What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd19: Parra v Raiders @ CBUS stadium GAME DAY THREAD 22/7/21

Chipmunk

Coach
Sure everyone agrees that we now need to go to the next level. Assistant coaches might be the solution and might have nothing to do with it too. HOF needs to work on that and there would only be a few that would disagree that he's done a great job since coming on board.

From my POV we have a tendency of going sideways when we are not going forward, plus our execution in the red zone is awkward. If we could have the shape of the bunnies in the red zone, we could easily lift to the next level. Easier said than done of course bc we don't have Cody Walker or Latrell Mitchell.

All good points. However, the Storm are breaking point scoring records with a current 1, 7 and 9 than in my opinion are inferior to ours also (Papenhuyzen and Grant obviously injured and played little part in the success so far), so we should be able to come up with a better shape that suits our team like the other top teams have that suits theirs.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
All good points. However, the Storm are breaking point scoring records with a current 1, 7 and 9 than in my opinion are inferior to ours also (Papenhuyzen and Grant obviously injured and played little part in the success so far), so we should be able to come up with a better shape that suits our team like the other top teams have that suits theirs.
You are seeing the product of 20 years of impeccable leadership and systems. I know it would be great if we could play like the Storm but we can't just flick a switch and do what they do as a team. We could bring in the best available coaches and players and may still never assemble something as good as what they have.

Chipmunk

Coach
You are seeing the product of 20 years of impeccable leadership and systems. I know it would be great if we could play like the Storm but we can't just flick a switch and do what they do as a team. We could bring in the best available coaches and players and may still never assemble something as good as what they have.
I tend to agree, and I don't expect us to be as good as the Storm over night, but I would also expect for us to be able to correct deficiencies that have been in our own side for some years.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I tend to agree, and I don't expect us to be as good as the Storm over night, but I would also expect for us to be able to correct deficiencies that have been in our own side for some years.
Fair call. I think we've done well to improve to where we are but the hardest bit is in front of us. To go from a Top 4 team to a genuine premership threat (Panthers, Storm) is going to be tough. I'm not sure we'll get there.

As for correcting deficiencies, thank you for not falling into the trap that others have fallen into by suggesting that its evidence that our coaching staff aren't aware!

JokerEel

Coach
I dont think Joey is working for our attack..

Without Moses the last 2 weeks BA should of had Drown working on both sides of the field.

JokerEel

Coach
Last night showed we are at best a top 6 side.

Passes hitting the ground from scrums then almost going into touch - you dont see that from the top 2 teams when the score is so close.

Players not catching the ball on the full and letting it bounce around from drop outs then getting tackled without making any meters..

JokerEel

Coach
The Last 3 games the raiders played Sam Williams has been destroyed in defense last night he wasn't tested enough or had to defend 1 on 1..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Last 3 games the raiders played Sam Williams has been destroyed in defense last night he wasn't tested enough or had to defend 1 on 1..
And surely that’s on the coach and his staff??? Or maybe we were just too lazy not to go there???

JokerEel

Coach
And surely that’s on the coach and his staff??? Or maybe we were just too lazy not to go there???

Probably a combination of coaching and the players..

We seem to always run out of space on the edges and never "square" up the defense.

You see when Canberra scored their first try the isolated JA.

Our players have been coached not to engage the line unless you are a forward.

Enamoured Eel

Juniors
It probably has already been brought up in the previous 34 pages but i'm slightly peeved that Jake Arthur continues to be selected. Whilst he has promise, he is nowhere near ready. There is nothing that Cartwright doesn't offer as apposed to him. Some may say his kicking game, but Jake arguably doesn't have a good clearance kick in his kit yet.

I'd go out on a limb and say that we would have 2 additional competition points as this point if he wasn't selected last night.

JokerEel

Coach
It probably has already been brought up in the previous 34 pages but i'm slightly peeved that Jake Arthur continues to be selected. Whilst he has promise, he is nowhere near ready. There is nothing that Cartwright doesn't offer as apposed to him. Some may say his kicking game, but Jake arguably doesn't have a good clearance kick in his kit yet.

I'd go out on a limb and say that we would have 2 additional competition points as this point if he wasn't selected last night.

I would say if Moses played last night they would not have scored their first or even second try..

Enamoured Eel

Juniors
I would say if Moses played last night they would not have scored their first or even second try..

The coach has talked up being a tough and grinding team yet throws a 75kg wringing wet half into the fore. All that the young half is doing is feeding it to Papali'i. Wouldn't it be better to have a big body fill that role and be able to take some of the workload?

It's not like we are talking about a forward who has no mobility; he's one of the best movers in the game!

yy_cheng

Coach
Another crap house thing coach especially the outside backs (and Bryce), practice drills passing from dummy half. Alot of the time the hooker is not there, so a back passes from dummy half and are atrocious.

Furthermore, the halves should take note who is at dummy half and not stand like 100m away expecting them to hit them on the chest.

FFS

JokerEel

Coach
The coach has talked up being a tough and grinding team yet throws a 75kg wringing wet half into the fore. All that the young half is doing is feeding it to Papali'i. Wouldn't it be better to have a big body fill that role and be able to take some of the workload?

It's not like we are talking about a forward who has no mobility; he's one of the best movers in the game!

Yeah I agree its good JA had a game but our game plan of having the halves split to play on their side of the field does not work. They picked him off to easily as they knew the plan..

He put in a few good kicks but as he said in the interview before the game.. keep it simple, that plan isnt going to work when the opposition rushes you all game.

hindy111

Post Whore
J.A may become a fine player one day. But he is not even the best half in NSW cup.
If his attack was brilliant you'd say fair enough it makes up for his defense.
If his defense was brilliant you'd say well atleast he isn't a liability there.
But he is poor in both areas and his kicking game is wonky. Can kick it long when gets a hold of it but half his kicks he seems to misconnect and it's about under 20s level.

Latest posts