What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

rightleftin

Juniors
There is an interesting situation in the Newcastle comp - the 1st Grade is run by the NSWRL and it has ruled that Lakes United cannot play and receive COVID draws BUT the lower grades are run by the Newcastle RL and it has allowed Lakes to continue playing in those grades.

Maitland look likely to repeat their 2020 success with only 1 loss to date.

rightleftin

Juniors
I found an interesting story in Trove - the closest incident in current times is when Junior Paulo played in 3rd Division RU for Oatley under an assumed name

Tony Brown was one of the 4 former NSW or Australian reps that played in the Penrith team that edged out Wenty in the 1966 2nd Division GF. However, he had an earlier connection with Parramatta JL clubs. In 1958 he played his first 2 Ashes tests and 19 August he played in Newtown's loss to Balmain in the playoff for 4th place. The following week he played for Guildford A Grade against Fairfield under the name of Ken Morley. The Fairfield captain coach, Kevin Muller had played a bit of 1st Grade and recognised Brown, and Fairfield were awarded the game.

Last edited:
There is an interesting situation in the Newcastle comp - the 1st Grade is run by the NSWRL and it has ruled that Lakes United cannot play and receive COVID draws BUT the lower grades are run by the Newcastle RL and it has allowed Lakes to continue playing in those grades.

Maitland look likely to repeat their 2020 success with only 1 loss to date.
So why can't Lakes Utd play or receive COVID draws?

Broncos93

Juniors
So by the looks of it we won’t be getting footy back anytime soon. Cases just keep on going up.
I believe the NSWRL plans to finish the season, even if the clubs go straight back into finals. Depending on timing we could see the top 6 format become top 4, or just a top 2 grand final.

Rams

Juniors
I believe the NSWRL plans to finish the season, even if the clubs go straight back into finals. Depending on timing we could see the top 6 format become top 4, or just a top 2 grand final.
Think it’s all to late call it off. Who wants to see half a competition completed push flegg up to under 23 like the old days gives players time to develop especially forwards. Bring on 2022!!

TigerDen

Juniors
Think it’s all to late call it off. Who wants to see half a competition completed push flegg up to under 23 like the old days gives players time to develop especially forwards. Bring on 2022!!
I agree that the current season should be abandoned but I am not sure why you want Jersey Flegg moved to an U23 competition?

Rams

Juniors
I agree that the current season should be abandoned but I am not sure why you want Jersey Flegg moved to an U23 competition?
It will help the boys who don’t develop as quickly as sum others especially front rowers. And if the comp gets called off there a lot off players that haven’t had a chance to play. we lost last season and it’s looking like we lose this season also. And the blowout scores were had this season will only get worse if they don’t do something.

rightleftin

Juniors
It will help the boys who don’t develop as quickly as sum others especially front rowers. And if the comp gets called off there a lot off players that haven’t had a chance to play. we lost last season and it’s looking like we lose this season also. And the blowout scores were had this season will only get worse if they don’t do something.
Flegg has to be the biggest issue in the country today - why isnt National Cabinet looking at this.

Shooting from the hip - would an option of an elimination competition work? Similar format to the old NSWRL/ARL 7's comp, but over weeks instead of hours.

1st plays last, 2nd plays 2nd last and so on.

Winner of 1 vs 8 progresses further towards the Presidents Cup, loser goes to the Presidents "Plate". Winner of 2 vs 7 goes on to the cup, loser goes to the plate, etc.

Not a lot of thought has gone into this. More Guinness has gone into it than thinking...

Butts74

Juniors
Shooting from the hip - would an option of an elimination competition work? Similar format to the old NSWRL/ARL 7's comp, but over weeks instead of hours.

1st plays last, 2nd plays 2nd last and so on.

Winner of 1 vs 8 progresses further towards the Presidents Cup, loser goes to the Presidents "Plate". Winner of 2 vs 7 goes on to the cup, loser goes to the plate, etc.

Not a lot of thought has gone into this. More Guinness has gone into it than thinking...
Tbh I think it’s easier to just cann it after this outbreak. Not worth it anymore , just have to put a line through 2021 cause after today and the protests doesn’t look good.

rightleftin

Juniors
Tbh I think it’s easier to just cann it after this outbreak. Not worth it anymore , just have to put a line through 2021 cause after today and the protests doesn’t look good.
Last year you said the same thing for 3 months but they got a start on 18 July.

TigerDen

Juniors
If you recall, when the season resumed in 2020 it was as a new structure- President's Cup. There were only three regular Massey teams, the remainder were country sides and North Sydney. Shield was slightly better but two of the clubs did not return in 2021.
This year it will be a 5 week break if the comp resumes as scheduled, (at this stage highly unlikely). You have to consider the welfare of the players and the financial position of the clubs, before a decision to return can be made.

rightleftin

Juniors
If you recall, when the season resumed in 2020 it was as a new structure- President's Cup. There were only three regular Massey teams, the remainder were country sides and North Sydney. Shield was slightly better but two of the clubs did not return in 2021.
This year it will be a 5 week break if the comp resumes as scheduled, (at this stage highly unlikely). You have to consider the welfare of the players and the financial position of the clubs, before a decision to return can be made.
Yes I can remember that most of the clubs dropped out but leave the decision to the clubs and in relation to finance, remember that North Sydney played in the Presidents Cup with the players being unpaid but if you are correct that the players dont want to play then we will be finished regardless of what the clubs say.