What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Tonight having a bottle of Lakes Folly 2016 Cabernet , bought 2 cases back in 2017 been in the wine fridge since , celebrating another week of lockdown, thought I would treat myself tonight. Wife making Lasagna probably not the best mix but hey it’s a new world

Just an awesome wine, almost every year. I still have a few from 2008-2011, I think all four years in the cellar somewhere...

Nothing wrong with lasagne and cabernet

Bazal

Post Whore
For me it's a Centennial Vineyards Reserve Rondinella Corvina, 2016.

They say there's only two Corvina vineyards in Aus but I reckon I can name five labels, so that seems like a myth to me? Rondinella must be rare AF though.

Valpolicella basically, but from Orange. Made like a Superiore. Centennial get a rough go in some circles IMO, they're good wines well made and they do some cool shit. This is cool shit. It does what you want from a Valpolicella Superiore...bright acid, sour cherry, leather, violets/lavender, great structure and balance. But it's also slightly but obviously not Valpolicella Superiore - brasher, a little more vibrant, a little more fruit driven & ripe, a little less gamey or dried fruity, a bit more herbaceous, a little deeper and darker behind the brightness. None of these are bad things, just a point of difference.

Really good juice. Highly recommend

Nealo 12

Bench
Just an awesome wine, almost every year. I still have a few from 2008-2011, I think all four years in the cellar somewhere...

Nothing wrong with lasagne and cabernet
Thanks mate actually it was very nice tonight, I’m thinking you know your stuff!

horrie hastings

First Grade
Coldstream Hills Chardonnay 2019.

Full bodied beautiful citrus acid, peach notes, excellent with the roast turkey. Felt criminal drinking it as we don't stock it at work but we got it delivered so manager said to clear it out at $5 a bottle, i wasn't going to argue with him and bought the lot.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
2008 Penfolds Bin 28, because it's 0 degrees and sleeting.

Look I'm sure if you look through the thread you'll see I'm not the greatest Penfolds fan. But I've still got more than a handful from when I worked in the industry. Mostly 407s and Bin 150s, which I think are very good wines. The 28? Not so much (for my palate, I should stress).

This is classic Penfolds & classic Bin 28. 13 years old and still nothing but power and mass. It's huge. I do like the nose - a smack in the face with an oak barrel, but also licorice, fennel seeds, beefy pepper, and surprisingly hard to find black fruits.

If only it tasted like that. It's nice, no mistake, but too big for me. Jubey grape candy, sweet chocolate oak, monster tannins. The fennelly olive savoury note does hit at the back which is nice. That's the style, I get it and if that's what you like then you'll f**ken love this and I highly recommend it if you find one, but it's a bit full on for me.

The last one of these I had fell off a cliff next day so I'll keep some and see if this does too.

Time to be a company man - James Busby McLaren Vale Shiraz 2019.

I wanted to hate this wine, I really wanted to. The best I can come up with is that I wouldn't pay $25 for a bottle. But as a drink? Very drinkable Shiraz, classic Aussie style more reminiscent of Barossa than McLaren. Would not recommend putting any away, definitely a drink now wine.

Bazal

Post Whore

I wanted to hate this wine, I really wanted to. The best I can come up with is that I wouldn't pay $25 for a bottle. But as a drink? Very drinkable Shiraz, classic Aussie style more reminiscent of Barossa than McLaren. Would not recommend putting any away, definitely a drink now wine.

Look it's hard to find an exclusive to hate.

Plenty are meh, sure. But hate? Maybe Parsons Paddock.

Look it's hard to find an exclusive to hate.

Plenty are meh, sure. But hate? Maybe Parsons Paddock.
We had a whole big review on the learning hub about how this is new juice from different growers, which to me says "we got a shit hot deal elsewhere". I'd probably still go a Wynn's Shiraz first (prefer The Siding Cab, however sticking with the varietal), but I wouldn't be upset if someone poured me a glass of this.

Bazal

Post Whore
We had a whole big review on the learning hub about how this is new juice from different growers, which to me says "we got a shit hot deal elsewhere". I'd probably still go a Wynn's Shiraz first (prefer The Siding Cab, however sticking with the varietal), but I wouldn't be upset if someone poured me a glass of this.

Alternately: "We finally found a decent winemaker in McLaren Vale willing to work with us after we unceremoniously screwed Steve Grimley..."

Bazal

Post Whore
Coles screwed a supplier over? I don't believe you...

I was just as shocked as you....I thought for sure flogging a Tim Kirk exclusive shiraz viognier from the world endingly good 2013 vintage that he'd already managed to make for 30 bucks, for around $10 a bottle because some marketing f**khole failed to realise it was only sold in five stores nationally was a one off error...

Anywho. Opened a 2017 Centennial vineyards Barbera. Good Barbera, me likey, official tasting note.

I was just as shocked as you....I thought for sure flogging a Tim Kirk exclusive shiraz viognier from the world endingly good 2013 vintage that he'd already managed to make for 30 bucks, for around $10 a bottle because some marketing f**khole failed to realise it was only sold in five stores nationally was a one off error...

Anywho. Opened a 2017 Centennial vineyards Barbera. Good Barbera, me likey, official tasting note.
The pleasures of living in Qld - Grenache is considered a fringe varietal. If I can find a Barbera I'll snap it up, even if it's the shits...

Dark Corner

Juniors
My knowledge of Wine is like my sport basic but I enjoy it, so my favs are -
Pinfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz Carbernet 14%
Jacobs Creek Double Barrel Matured Shiraz 14.5%
Bushland Shiraz 14%
Hawk vale Shiraz Barossa Valley 14.5%
Aldi Bin 20 Shiraz 14.5%
Dark Corner Shiraz 14%
Vinha Do Fava Reserva 15%
Rocksands Shiraz 14.5%
Vinha Do Fava Reserva 15%

horrie hastings

First Grade

Picked my bottle up on Thursday, was going to open it last night to have with risoni and meatballs but decided to save it till later and had a 2016 Samuel Wynn Man From Nowhere Shiraz which Liqourland cleared for $5.

Nealo 12

Bench
Picked my bottle up on Thursday, was going to open it last night to have with risoni and meatballs but decided to save it till later and had a 2016 Samuel Wynn Man From Nowhere Shiraz which Liqourland cleared for $5.
I've never seen anything decent on clearance for 10 bucks let alone 5 !

horrie hastings

First Grade
I've never seen anything decent on clearance for 10 bucks let alone 5 !

We had some fantastic wines on clearance for $10 and $5, some have been a mistake and quickly rectified but others have been genuine clearance, they usually do the $5 ones when they cant source them anymore and most stores don't have much stock left. some of the $10 ones were done as 4 for $40, you could probably go back quite a few pages on here to see what some of them were but there was some quality stuff at $5 and $10.

Nealo 12

Bench
We had some fantastic wines on clearance for $10 and $5, some have been a mistake and quickly rectified but others have been genuine clearance, they usually do the $5 ones when they cant source them anymore and most stores don't have much stock left. some of the $10 ones were done as 4 for $40, you could probably go back quite a few pages on here to see what some of them were but there was some quality stuff at $5 and $10.
Yeah I have and that's why I'm pissed off ... Lol 😂

Penfolds Bin 138 Shiraz Grenache Mataro 2018. I love Languedoc-style Aussie reds, but this is not one of them. Briney olives and almost oily, very flat dark stone fruit, leathery finish. Very uninspiring red.

Latest posts