What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Qld NRL clubs play during the Brisbane Olympics?

Canard

Immortal
By 2032, I predict that the IOC will have been restructured due to rampant corruption and not have anywhere near the sway it has now.

The Olympics will always be a thing, but after the preceding 6 host (winter and summer) go completely broke it revert to true amateur status

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
We’d better start planning.

2032 is just around the corner…

Yeah pretty much. Lets wait until we're something like 5 years away before we start worrying about this, yeah?

In the meantime, Annastasia needs to focus on more urgent issues, like fixing up this cities infrastructure like roads, public transport and making the river look something like visually appealing, because all three are appalling.

Munted

Bench
when you say that, to who? Its still the pinnacle for the athletes, it rates a massive global audience, gets massive global media coverage, it gets large crowds to main events. How do you measure its relevance??
I guess I'm talking out my ass to a degree, speaking from the layman's POV.
Just seems that it gets less air time amongst regular non sporting folk, less interest from a spectator stand point.
I totally get that for the athletes, this could be the pinnacle for them so it will always be relevant in that respect.

Yeah pretty much. Lets wait until we're something like 5 years away before we start worrying about this, yeah?

In the meantime, Annastasia needs to focus on more urgent issues, like fixing up this cities infrastructure like roads, public transport and making the river look something like visually appealing, because all three are appalling.
Anastasia better start saving in her little piggy bank because after this Corona Virus is done with this Country we will be in the red for decades.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess I'm talking out my ass to a degree, speaking from the layman's POV.
Just seems that it gets less air time amongst regular non sporting folk, less interest from a spectator stand point.
I totally get that for the athletes, this could be the pinnacle for them so it will always be relevant in that respect.

its always dangerous to make assumptions on a data set of 1 :)

Wizardman

First Grade
Some of you hillbillies here have absolutely no idea. There is no way that a major Australian sporting competition (NRL/AFL/A-League etc) will run at the same time that the Olympics are on. Too much money involved from different parties to have a major sporting competition run at the same time.
Im not particularly interested in the Olympic Games but there is no denying that it is still the biggest sporting event on the planet. It would be absolute madness for this country to have competitions going that could somewhat take away attention from the event. It will absolutely be on hiatus around that time.

Munted

Bench
its always dangerous to make assumptions on a data set of 1 :)

Haha true!
However, I am a sceptical mofo.
Rio and London time zones are not very friendly for us Aussies and with Tokyo an hour behind, the opening ceremony is at a very convenient time for viewers.

Anyway, until I see a Steeden in the Olympics, I've lost interest!

Canard

Immortal
The IOC will not allow any major sport to be played anywhere in Australia during the Olympics or a week before or after.

emesssea

Juniors
The IOC will not allow any major sport to be played anywhere in Australia during the Olympics or a week before or after.

Is this true? I imagine if the IOC told the Los Angeles bid that MLB would have to stop during the Olympics they would have been laughed out of the room.

Some of you hillbillies here have absolutely no idea.
Im not particularly interested in the Olympic Games but there is no denying that it is still the biggest sporting event on the planet.
You clearly never heard of AFLX
images

seanoff

Juniors
Anastasia better start saving in her little piggy bank because after this Corona Virus is done with this Country we will be in the red for decades.
why? we went with a lever called quantitative easing. ie money was created. in older terms they literally printed more money. the govt put more money in circulation with literally the stroke of a pen.

its been used twice in australia. 2009 by Rudd when everyone was given $900 and schools were given $2m etc. and during the pandemic last year.

The IOC can't legally impose those kind of restrictions as their contract is with a host city, not a country, and certainly not with all that country's sporting codes. I'll bet when Olympics have been held in the US that they did not suspend all sports nationwide there (if anyone can prove me wrong, be my guest).

Canard

Immortal
The IOC can't legally impose those kind of restrictions as their contract is with a host city, not a country, and certainly not with all that country's sporting codes. I'll bet when Olympics have been held in the US that they did not suspend all sports nationwide there (if anyone can prove me wrong, be my guest).

I can't find this anywhere, I believe I've conflated this with FIFA and the World Cup, as this was a big topic of discussion when we were bidding for the 2022 WC.

But I'm certain, for example, that the NRL(or any other sport) will not want to run up against the Olympics anyway.

As others have said its a Decade away so probably not worth stressing about yet.

I can't find this anywhere, I believe I've conflated this with FIFA and the World Cup, as this was a big topic of discussion when we were bidding for the 2022 WC.

But I'm certain, for example, that the NRL(or any other sport) will not want to run up against the Olympics anyway.

As others have said its a Decade away so probably not worth stressing about yet.

It is more likely voluntary by any sport that stops its comp if the Olympic is on in its country when its competition would normally be run.

Latest posts