What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
So instead of getting around 625k a year for 4 years he's getting 730k a year for 3 years and 300k on the fourth year. I like Finucane but he's not worth $730k a year if you ask me
When you consider we have Fifita about to play his last year on $850k.. and Dugan and Shaun Johnson both being let go on 900k it is pretty reasonable coin for Finnucane imo. It’s more about the leadership and experience he brings to our soon to be young pack. Just curious…. is 600k overs for Nico Hynes in your opinion?

aqua_duck

Coach
When you consider we have Fifita about to play his last year on $850k.. and Dugan and Shaun Johnson both being let go on 900k it is pretty reasonable coin for Finnucane imo. It’s more about the leadership and experience he brings to our soon to be young pack. Just curious…. is 600k overs for Nico Hynes in your opinion?
No I think that's a great deal given he can play a few different positions including in the spine and has only just turned 25 so should be coming into his best years. I think the leadership and experience factors are important but 3 years at 650k a year is personally where I would've drawn the line with Finucane.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
No I think that's a great deal given he can play a few different positions including in the spine and has only just turned 25 so should be coming into his best years. I think the leadership and experience factors are important but 3 years at 650k a year is personally where I would've drawn the line with Finucane.
Fair enough….I guess we’ve just taken him on at an average of 625 a year but over 4 years. We’re also done with Woods at 550k and Wade Graham is about to play his last year at over 700k (assuming he doesn’t medically retire) Throw in Moylan taking 350k down from 900k and there’s plenty of coin in the bank. I almost forgot Chad too..,, funny that.

Vee

First Grade
All that says is that you haven't stuffed up as much on Finucane as on the other three.

And, on balance, I think $600k for Nico may be slight overs or it may prove to be a great signing.

big hit!

Bench
Finucane has been underpaid at Melbourne.

Will he be overpaid by Cronulla at this stage of his career? Most likely. But that's the premium you have to pay to get a bloke out of a premiership team. He wasn't going to leave Melbourne for similar or slightly more. And Cronulla know they are getting a competitive footballer who gives his all, unlike some of the other overpaid spuds they have at the moment.

For him, his career market value vs his actual earnings will probably even out now.

BadnMean

Juniors
Finucane is a solid middle but a 30 year old middle workhorse- run of the mill skill & ability set is not a needle mover. Reminds me of the Raiders recruiting Brett White- solid citizen & ok middle at that stage but paid way overs for what we got & what he was even capable of producing.

Frailty

First Grade
Finucane is a solid middle but a 30 year old middle workhorse- run of the mill skill & ability set is not a needle mover. Reminds me of the Raiders recruiting Brett White- solid citizen & ok middle at that stage but paid way overs for what we got & what he was even capable of producing.
Yep, totally a 'Run of the Mill' player.

LU never ceases to amaze.

Sharks biggest issue the last couple of seasons has been defence, especially in the middle of the field. Sharks are replacing Woods with Finucane (for less money), and bringing in McInnes, on top of Fitzgibbon who has a strong focus for defence.

nick87

Coach
This is a classic tell from Sharks fans. They're desperate to get affirmation of this signing from the wider community.
Its ok guys, you're allow to be a bit concerned about a 4 year, 600k+ contract for a 30 year old middle forward coming out of a premiership system and arguably the greatest coach of all time that has a tendency to make players look better than they are.

Pushing back and getting super defensive about reasonable opinions on the deal isnt going to make your deep seeded concerns about this go away.

shear_joy9

Coach
Finucane's body is held together with gaffa tape. No way he will last 4 years.

Bellamy has done well talking him up like he's a star of the team forcing cronulla to use more cap space. The reality is melbourne don't need him and didn't want to adjust their roster to keep him.