What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Mbye

BIG RIG

Juniors
Its not my narrative - it's how deals are done...

Fitzgibbon turned us down, for whatever reason.

If we really wanted Fitzgibbon, a former player of ours who comes with a pedigree of support coaching under one of the games best in Robinson, one of the best clubs in the last decade - winning Multiple premierships, if our club was truly smart they'd find a way...

Some options...

Either

- make "the offer he can't refuse" now (which does not automatically mean spending a fortune) and see if a respectful deal can be done with the Roosters to leave a year early....

Or,

- if as you say is fact, he respectfully wanted to see out his contract at the Roosters - quite honorable of him. Then secure him for for Season 2022... and asap.

That's the two positions to take. Maybe the Dragons mgmt did do this, maybe not... Whatever the case our mgmt was not smart enough or attractive enough for Fitzgibbon. Whataver offers were made, they were rejected.

And with regard to "we needed a coach in 2021"..... yep. We already had a coach signed for that year. Paul McGregor.... (cue the fiery fans out there smelling McGregor bait!!). The club paid him out a season early - at a time when finances of the game and club were shafted from Covid.... That's tongue in cheek from me a bit, any mention of Mary always gets dragons fans making noise and spitting like a dog barking at the postman...

But..... We also had Shane Flanagan and Dean Young. Flanagan, like Fitzgibbon, knows what success looks like. Out of the ashes of the Peptides drama and former issues at the club, he led the Sharks to their first ever title. Sign him for a year - which he'd have no doubt accepted, keep on Dean Young as a support - who also knows what Success looks like - playing in our last title..... And get Fitzgibbon the next year...

There - you've got an interim year led by two people who've seen premiership successes, to be followed by one of the best renowned support coaches who's been at one of the two most successful club of the last decade.

Maybe that was the strategy. Maybe it wasnt. But whatever the strategy was or wasnt - Fitzgibbon declined for his own reasons. He rejected the Dragons.

And instead of the Scenario of having 2 x Coaches who've seen premiership success developing the squad for a year into possibly the best support coach involved with multiple premierships taking over in 2022..... (would have been my overwhelming preference).....

We had the choice of 3 x coaches (Griffin, Henry, Furner), who've all been sacked.... and only one (Furner) whos been involved in a team that's won a premiership - and that was last century...

We took Griffin, who brought in Matt Elliott... who's also not won premiership, and felt the rough end of the sack... That didn't fill be with any confidence at the time but I was hopeful. Now as it stands - no one in our club has been involved in a first grade premiership that I can think of (I could be mistaken).... When Burgess arrives next year, that will be one.

However or whatever the reason - our board didn't get the job done, the guy we approached turned us down. Now Fitzgibbon will lead one of our rivals next season, and he's already brought 2 x star players from the other most successful club of last decade - the Storm - to join him. There's a coach and 2 top level players who know what a premiership team looks like and the standards needed to get there. We don't have any of that.

It's not fact, but my theory is they weren't savvy enough and/or attractive enough to secure Fitzgibbon. We now will see how Griffin goes next season. But for now - we are no better than we were 12 months ago. Only different.
Jack Bird and Gerard Beale won a premiership at Cronulla

blacksafake

First Grade
Like a coach has never left a club early to take up a new gig. And this was a promotion opportunity to first grade…

If our pitch was good enough, our offer strong enough, and our club attractive enough…

We could have Fitzgibbon in the chair rather than Griffin. He’s not though, and while yes that was given as a reason… if our pitch, offer and club was attractive… I’ve no doubt it’d be a different story..

As for injuries. Injuries equals excuses. And there’s more clubs out there who’ve had worse injuries n absences than us. I know you said suspensions , not injuries. I put most of the NRL suspensions on Peter Vlandys’ tyranny!

Especially Ravalawa!

#FreeRav
There were reports of other clubs sounding out Fitzy as well but were also told that in respect to Politis he would be seeing out his contact with the roosters before accepting a head coaching job.
Now maybe that was just a way of waiting until the right offer came along who knows.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Bennett, for all his mastery at coaching, hasn't won a premiership since 2010, thats now 11 years on.

The diffrence nowadays is the 'x-factor' pkayer or game 'influencer' or game changer. We don't have that player right now. You could argue Bennett had Gaz and the middle of the road pkayers went along for the ride, making them better players.

We saw a good example of this last Sunday, when Fifita came on, he basically changed the whole complexion of that game, and suddenly the whole of the Titans outfit lifted.

TJ at the Cows, Ponga at tge Knights, TTurbo at Manly, Tedesco at the Roosters, Cleary at the Panthers, the list goes on.

Do tge Dogs have that player? No but maybe next year
Do the Broncos? Possibly in Haas
Do the Tigers? Douhi maybe

All we have is potential, and that is only in our juniors coming through.

Who will he our x-factor, game changer, influencer moving ibto 2022 and beyond?

I think we have a vwry special player in Sloan and next year we will see why.
I'd like to think that Hunt will be part of that x-factor based on his form and leadership this year- however, if he has to play as an extra forward and mop up their missed tackles as he did against the Titans, his running game, in particular. will be blunted.

getsmarty

Immortal
Its not my narrative - it's how deals are done...

Fitzgibbon turned us down, for whatever reason.

If we really wanted Fitzgibbon, a former player of ours who comes with a pedigree of support coaching under one of the games best in Robinson, one of the best clubs in the last decade - winning Multiple premierships, if our club was truly smart they'd find a way...

Some options...

Either

- make "the offer he can't refuse" now (which does not automatically mean spending a fortune) and see if a respectful deal can be done with the Roosters to leave a year early....

Or,

- if as you say is fact, he respectfully wanted to see out his contract at the Roosters - quite honorable of him. Then secure him for for Season 2022... and asap.

That's the two positions to take. Maybe the Dragons mgmt did do this, maybe not... Whatever the case our mgmt was not smart enough or attractive enough for Fitzgibbon. Whataver offers were made, they were rejected.

And with regard to "we needed a coach in 2021"..... yep. We already had a coach signed for that year. Paul McGregor.... (cue the fiery fans out there smelling McGregor bait!!). The club paid him out a season early - at a time when finances of the game and club were shafted from Covid.... That's tongue in cheek from me a bit, any mention of Mary always gets dragons fans making noise and spitting like a dog barking at the postman...

But..... We also had Shane Flanagan and Dean Young. Flanagan, like Fitzgibbon, knows what success looks like. Out of the ashes of the Peptides drama and former issues at the club, he led the Sharks to their first ever title. Sign him for a year - which he'd have no doubt accepted, keep on Dean Young as a support - who also knows what Success looks like - playing in our last title..... And get Fitzgibbon the next year...

There - you've got an interim year led by two people who've seen premiership successes, to be followed by one of the best renowned support coaches who's been at one of the two most successful club of the last decade.

Maybe that was the strategy. Maybe it wasnt. But whatever the strategy was or wasnt - Fitzgibbon declined for his own reasons. He rejected the Dragons.

And instead of the Scenario of having 2 x Coaches who've seen premiership success developing the squad for a year into possibly the best support coach involved with multiple premierships taking over in 2022..... (would have been my overwhelming preference).....

We had the choice of 3 x coaches (Griffin, Henry, Furner), who've all been sacked.... and only one (Furner) whos been involved in a team that's won a premiership - and that was last century...

We took Griffin, who brought in Matt Elliott... who's also not won premiership, and felt the rough end of the sack... That didn't fill be with any confidence at the time but I was hopeful. Now as it stands - no one in our club has been involved in a first grade premiership that I can think of (I could be mistaken).... When Burgess arrives next year, that will be one.

However or whatever the reason - our board didn't get the job done, the guy we approached turned us down. Now Fitzgibbon will lead one of our rivals next season, and he's already brought 2 x star players from the other most successful club of last decade - the Storm - to join him. There's a coach and 2 top level players who know what a premiership team looks like and the standards needed to get there. We don't have any of that.

It's not fact, but my theory is they weren't savvy enough and/or attractive enough to secure Fitzgibbon. We now will see how Griffin goes next season. But for now - we are no better than we were 12 months ago. Only different.

Not all deals are done the same way...( my info came from a source high up in the roosters club )...you are incorrect in regards to fitzgibbon ..I will leave it at that...

Last edited:
There were reports of other clubs sounding out Fitzy as well but were also told that in respect to Politis he would be seeing out his contact with the roosters before accepting a head coaching job.
Now maybe that was just a way of waiting until the right offer came along who knows.

Yeah I buy that. He comes across as a really genuine bloke. I just feel there was an opportunity (explored or otherwise) that we could have worked out a way to get him after that contract ended if indeed he wanted to stick it out respectfully with the Roosters. Starting next year and having the interim coach (Flanagan etc) this season.

Thats a win for Flanagan - who wants to be a head coach again, and could see him get interest from other clubs after his tenure, and a long term win for us getting Fitzy.

I wonder what would have happened if the Storm approached him under the same circumstances, to work under Bellamy.. would he have done the same?

Even if he did stay at the Roosters, I'm sure they'd have sewn him up for the following year. Just speculation yeah.. but that's a chance to drive a Rolls Royce,

Not all deals are done the same way...( my info came from a source high up in the roosters club )...you are incorrect in regards to fitzgibbon ..I will leave it at that...

Fitzgibbon was approached to be head coach.

He turned down that approach.

Simple. I'll leave it at that.

blacksafake

First Grade
Yeah I buy that. He comes across as a really genuine bloke. I just feel there was an opportunity (explored or otherwise) that we could have worked out a way to get him after that contract ended if indeed he wanted to stick it out respectfully with the Roosters. Starting next year and having the interim coach (Flanagan etc) this season.

Thats a win for Flanagan - who wants to be a head coach again, and could see him get interest from other clubs after his tenure, and a long term win for us getting Fitzy.

I wonder what would have happened if the Storm approached him under the same circumstances, to work under Bellamy.. would he have done the same?

Even if he did stay at the Roosters, I'm sure they'd have sewn him up for the following year. Just speculation yeah.. but that's a chance to drive a Rolls Royce,
Like I said before it could have possibly just been an excuse while waiting for the “right” job to come along. But we’ll never know.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Fitzgibbon was approached to be head coach.

He turned down that approach.

Simple. I'll leave it at that.
A lot of hype from you about a guy who hasn't even coached a game of first grade before, mate.

He is very much unproven and at this stage any credentials given to Fitzgibbon are speculative only.

Lets see how he actually goes as a coach and then you can dread on decisions that were/weren't/could've/should've been made.

From where I sit appointing an experienced first grade coach with a good win/loss record who's teams only missed finals once or twice was always a better move than appointing a rookie hyped by the media and have a caretaker for a whole season!! What rubbish.

Maddragon99

Juniors
A lot of hype from you about a guy who hasn't even coached a game of first grade before, mate.

He is very much unproven and at this stage any credentials given to Fitzgibbon are speculative only.

Lets see how he actually goes as a coach and then you can dread on decisions that were/weren't/could've/should've been made.

From where I sit appointing an experienced first grade coach with a good win/loss record who's teams only missed finals once or twice was always a better move than appointing a rookie hyped by the media and have a caretaker for a whole season!! What rubbish.
Well only time will tell, early signs are good though he’s turning over the playing group by getting rid of Woods, Dugan & Johnson then bringing in some quality players Finucane & Hynes.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
A few things..

Bennett is one of the best coaches in history. Griffin is light years behind him.

Bennett had a core of top shelf players in his teams, he targeted them if they weren’t already at clubs when he moved….

The Dragons before he arrived had a good core of quality players in some areas, mainly backs, but were known as a club who had a “soft underbelly”… That’s what other clubs thought about them including the Broncos under Bennett.

so Bennett targeted hard-men to recruit to the club… not necessarily the superstars in their positions but tough, hard-nosed forwards to fix the “softness”…

Jeremy Smith was a tough, consistent, reliable, back rower with success at the Storm

Neville Costigan was a tough hit-man type of backrower who also got under the skin of the opposition.

Michael Weyman was a big burly front rower with a short fuse but could bowl over opposition defenders.

Beau Scott was a nasty, ugly, scrapper of a player targeted by Bennett to bring an arrogance to the pack and protect his 5/8 Soward…

Why do I suggest this??

Coz that’s what Bennett said. I had the amazing fortune to sit opposite Wayne Bennett at a breakfast where he was keynote speaker. In his speech he talked through his career, how he puts teams together, gets their performance at its peak. Amongst other topics he coveted. He had 500 guests mesmerised and I then got an insight why so many players I’d heard in the past say he’s the best coach by lightyears and they all wanted to play for him.

Then when he sat back down we had a good chat, others beside me as well but I shook his hand and thanked him for winning us a Comp when j never thought I’d see it. I asked him what he felt he had to do when he turned up..

He was very simple… he said the dragons had talent in many places and his job was to get their heads right. He also brought in a toughness that they needed in areas as they had a “soft underbelly” reputation. Those players above…. and he talked through why those players as I’ve mentioned above…

None of those players above was average when signed. They had a fierceness that the club was missing. None of Griffins signings so far could hold a candle to them, apart from McGuire. Bird has always had talent but horrific injuries… a shrewd signing though and seemingly paid off.

And he coached them to a competition victory, our first in 31 years…

Then after a bit more talk at the table, him answering questions… he should our hands and left…

but not before I made him laugh, saying “good luck coaching the horses”… (he’d just signed to go back there in favour of back to us)…that was one of the highlights of my life. Not just hearing him speak, sitting and chatting with him, but I made Wayne Bennett Laugh!

Anthony Griffin is not Wayne Bennett.

Wayne Bennett improves sides he heads to.

Anthony Griffin followed in his footsteps at the broncos, with all the systems in place to take over. He was sacked only a few seasons after.

He then went to Penrith with junior pathways established by Gould And his team, a bunch of emerging players were coming through competitions they’d won in the lower tiers. Griffin took over them as the club was bearing fruit.. Yet he was sacked - again…. Who knows exactly why.. but sacked he was.

I truly hope we get success again and I’d love Griffin to drive us to succeed.

Its unfair to compare Bennett to any other coach in the NRL bar Bellamy. But here..

When Bennett took over the Dragons I was extremely confident we’d win a comp.

When Griffin took over the dragons I’d never been less confident we would win a comp. I wasn’t confident we’d even go any better than the last few seasons… hopefully I’m wrong,
Best Coach we have had since Harry Bath and Roy Masters. Everything you stated about Coach so true.👍

getsmarty

Immortal
The jury is out on Griffin he’s coaching for his future right now.
True...what after 20 rounds with more players suspended than any other year...injuries and a roster that he inherited that had lack of depth...

Here we all were begging the club to get rid of mcgregor after 7 years...Griffin hasn't even completed 1 season and people want his head on a platter...

Last edited:

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Don't forget David Waite.
CC
Yes David was a very good coach, it was Bobby Fulton told Dave about the the Dragons job at a very tough time a team broken by SL.

He brought everyone together and he put a very good footy team, as time went on the Illawarra side of the JV made it very clear and hard for David, they wanted their own man coaching which they got.
Sorry CC yes I should have put David with Harry and Roy.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Yes David was a very good coach, it was Bobby Fulton told Dave about the the Dragons job at a very tough time a team broken by SL.

He brought everyone together and he put a very good footy team, as time went on the Illawarra side of the JV made it very clear and hard for David, they wanted their own man coaching which they got.
Sorry CC yes I should have put David with Harry and Roy.
Jason Donnelly hated him. Heard him on the Red V podcast. Said he was the worst coach he had.