What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20: Parra v Roosters GAME DAY thread @ Mackay 29/7/21

emjaycee

Coach
Of course it’s his fault. He recruited them. There have been plenty of players in the market. Good young players and he has opted to keep these players instead. I can’t see your point but an attempt to shift the blame. He lives and dies by the performance of his team by the players HE RECRUITED.

The end.
Read what I have been writing mate, it's not about shifting the blame - it's about f**kING SHARING the blame.
Coach AND players are at fault, not just the coach.

PERIOD!!

Chipmunk

Coach
We lost last the two weeks to decimated sides , who in reality wont be near the GF this year under their current available roster. Genuine top sides beat them, regardless of one or two unavailable players

We may jag a West Tigers 05 or Parra 09 and go on an unexpected rampage into the GF, in reality its possible, but also laughable at this point..

I wonder if our board at seasons end or sooner, will start planning or inquiring for a new coach for 2023 and beyond. We possibly honour BAs contract for next year, plus we dont want to rush his replacement, need time to get the right person

Trent Robinson is who we should target IMO. Who is available 2023.

Sell him the challenge and what it means to his coaching legacy. Would become a great on par with Jack Gibson at winning comps with both clubs, breaking this Eels drought will be huge. Letting him know we are keen for him in 2023, would also give him time to possibly bring over 2-3 chooks players he wants with him. Keary would be just lovely for starters.
Sticking point, I dont think Uncle Nick will let him go anytime soon, especially now Fitzgibbon is off to the Sharks - sigh
Robinson isn't going anywhere, either is Bellyache now. Dessie will see out his time at Manly. Wayne Bennett is looking for a job, but you have to ask how much influence has Demetriou had on how his teams play for the last 5 years? However, we have a once in a lifetime opportunity right now to get Bennett as the coach.

Chipmunk

Coach
I have us finishing 6th playing the Titans in the first week, then Souths. If we can pull that off we get Storm in the 3rd week. I see what Brad is doing here, we'll go one better this year.
We will never beat Souths. I've got more confidence in us beating Melbourne than I do of us beating Souths.

Soto

Bench
The next 6 weeks will be very telling. If we win 1 or 2 from 6 i think the decision needs to be made that the club and coach part ways.
Some of the selections eg Stone, Jarthur in particular, inept attack, yes inept attack as i mentioned last week despite people wanting to challenge through their blue and yellow eyes is alarming.
The players look tired and some busted.
The energy looks low, we look directionless and we can only score tries from kicks.
For the last 2 seasons we have barely scored a try on the right. We always look like we are about to run out of room. It beggars belief.
We have some of the tallest blokes in the comp and can't even nail that part when using our best attacking option, yep you guessed it, the kick.
I love it when we are in the opposition 20 and we turn the ball inside for a settler...
Sivo has the worst workrate of any winger in the comp...
Will Smith looked our most dangerous player but only gets bugger all minutes unless out of necessity.
Mahoney is not darting from dummy half.
Our play the balls are excruciatingly slow. Many players are guilty of this.
Our bench rotation sucks..
It's hard to fathom that without Moses we are just shockingly bad and his kicking game is that crucial to us that we are no hope if he isn't playing...
Effort effort effort..how about execution.
How about a game plan. Chase the collision, run hard and tackle hard is great for junior footy..
This is the NRL...it shows if you can't dissect the opposition with a defined game plan the better teams will win.

Happy MEel

First Grade
But apparently we don't have lazy players. It's all the coaching, nothing to do with the players.
When have I ever said that? I’ve been plenty vocal on some of our useless players, just as I have been on our useless coaching staff.

I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone on here who is completely happy with our squad. It can and should be improved in the off season.
Similarly, our coaching staff and structure can and should be improved in the off season.

Avenger

Immortal
Read what I have been writing mate, it's not about shifting the blame - it's about f**kING SHARING the blame.
Coach AND players are at fault, not just the coach.

PERIOD!!
He doesn’t share the blame with the players because if he did he would drop them. Instead he perseveres with them which will be the end of him. His fault. That’s why coaches usually get sacked before the players.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone on here who is completely happy with our squad. It can and should be improved in the off season.
Similarly, our coaching staff and structure can and should be improved in the off season.
I can't see the squad being improved in the off season, either through recruitment or development, given the players we have signed already, if the coaching setup remains the same.

Avenger

Immortal
The next 6 weeks will be very telling. If we win 1 or 2 from 6 i think the decision needs to be made that the club and coach part ways.
Some of the selections eg Stone, Jarthur in particular, inept attack, yes inept attack as i mentioned last week despite people wanting to challenge through their blue and yellow eyes is alarming.
The players look tired and some busted.
The energy looks low, we look directionless and we can only score tries from kicks.
For the last 2 seasons we have barely scored a try on the right. We always look like we are about to run out of room. It beggars belief.
We have some of the tallest blokes in the comp and can't even nail that part when using our best attacking option, yep you guessed it, the kick.
I love it when we are in the opposition 20 and we turn the ball inside for a settler...
Sivo has the worst workrate of any winger in the comp...
Will Smith looked our most dangerous player but only gets bugger all minutes unless out of necessity.
Mahoney is not darting from dummy half.
Our play the balls are excruciatingly slow. Many players are guilty of this.
Our bench rotation sucks..
It's hard to fathom that without Moses we are just shockingly bad and his kicking game is that crucial to us that we are no hope if he isn't playing...
Effort effort effort..how about execution.
How about a game plan. Chase the collision, run hard and tackle hard is great for junior footy..
This is the NRL...it shows if you can't dissect the opposition with a defined game plan the better teams will win.
Nice summary, Soto.

Avenger

Immortal
When have I ever said that? I’ve been plenty vocal on some of our useless players, just as I have been on our useless coaching staff.

Who are these useless players? I can’t recall any you have posted. Name some.

emjaycee

Coach

Which is what I have been saying and getting shouted down for (not by you).
I just don't understand how some posters on here are blinded by their dislike/dissatisfaction/disappointment with a coach so much, that they seemingly ignore the fact that our roster, whilst good enough to make the semi's for the last 3 years, simply isn't good enough to go to the next level.
Yes, we need to get better coaching into the club, whether that is BA or his assistants or both, remains to be seen, but I would challenge any coach to get our current top 30 squad to the level of Melbourne or Penrith in 2020 and 2021.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Wayne Bennett. He’s available. I used to think Shane Flanagan but the club is divided on him. They know more than I do about him.

sorry mate, I meant if he dropped them, what players would you replace them with ?

the point being, replacing them with reserves wont strengthen our NRL team imo

he did drop Fergo which seemed to make a difference on his return but other than Dunster, Penisini and Russell, I dont see a whole lot of players who are up to NRL standard

hindy111

Post Whore
I just don't understand how some posters on here are blinded by their dislike/dissatisfaction/disappointment with a coach so much, that they seemingly ignore the fact that our roster, whilst good enough to make the semi's for the last 3 years, simply isn't good enough to go to the next level.
Yes, we need to get better coaching into the club, whether that is BA or his assistants or both, remains to be seen, but I would challenge any coach to get our current top 30 squad to the level of Melbourne or Penrith in 2020 and 2021.

I've said this 50x now.

Our season never builds. We are as good in round one as we are in round 25. Our decline is more the fact other sides slowly improve and adjust game as they get better.
Perhaps sides like Storm hit ground running. But look at South's and how they are gaining momentum for example. Look how the Rooster where able to blood and adjust game after losing key players.

The coach I think is ok. But he doesn't seem to try new ideas. Gutherson is one of our best. But long term he doesn't have the electricity to be a dangerous ball running fullback.
Look how Teddy and Ropana blew us apart. Just like Lockyer had to move I would say time for Clint.

Opacic from day dot showed lack of pace and unable to bust a tackle. Was no reason to sign him up unless it was back up intentions only.

Jake Arthur's to.his credit has a decent short kick game. He may develop into a solid option but blind Freddy could see he isn't ready. W.Smith was our most dangerous player and should be in the 13. Give him a chance.

D.Brown creates nothing. His kicking is ok and great defense but what else does he do in attack that he couldn't do at centre? Is he a 5/8 long term? Possible he is but I do not see it at this stage.

I'd love to see us run with a backline of

1W.Smith/Guth
2 Sivo/Fergo
3 Penisini
4 D.Brown/W.Smith
5 Waqa
6 Gutherson/D.Brown
7 Moses

emjaycee

Coach
sorry mate, I meant if he dropped them, what players would you replace them with ?

he did drop Fergo which seemed to make a difference on his return but other than Dunster, Penisini and Russell, I dont see a whole lot of players who are up to NRL standard
That's no excuse Twiz, it is his squad, he recruited them so he is to blame solely and wholly.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Gutherson is more a 5/8. Have a look at what other fullbacks do. They bust tackles and are damaging runners of the ball.

Sivo has 1 or 2 good charges a game. He bombed another try last night early when Blake got on the outside of Morris he comes back in.

Fergo is had it as an nrl player. Average now.

Gutho made 12 TB's as compared to Teddy's 7 last night. In a night I reckon most agree he wasn't at his best.

He's currently 10th in the NRL for TB's this year, and he's 4th for run meters. What he lacks is the speed to finish, not the ability to break tackles.

Avenger

Immortal

Exactly the 3 you stated and I’d give Cartwright more minutes. I’d put Nathan Brown to the bench.

Eelementary

Post Whore

What is it you believe our roster is lacking?

Because on paper, at least:

Matterson
Brown
Lane
Paulo

Are some of the most skilful forwards in the entire NRL.

Moses is - on talent alone - in the top tier of halfbacks in the NRL.

Gutherson is in a form slump, but at his best, we all know what he brings.

Mahoney is a borderline Origin-level hooker.

Waqa Blake is a dangerous attacking threat.

But the team plays...stupidly, I guess? No backup plans, no "eyes up" footy, and no instincts for the game.

I am a big believer in constructive criticism - I don't want to put shit on Brad just for the sake of it -; however, he is the Head Coach, and the team is not playing to their potential. The buck stops with him.

I don't for a minute believe we can win the Premiership in 2021, but by the same token, if this team was playing to their potential, then we would trouble the top sides, imo.

With a roster like the one we have, I am sure that an experienced, quality coach could squeeze some consistency out of us.

Credit where it is due - Brad got RCG, and Moses, to play career-best football.

But the rest of the team is not playing to their potential.

We may still have lost last night had Bennett/Hasler/Macguire/Bellamy been our coach, but I am sure we would have used our players to their potential a little better.

I am eternally grateful to Brad for picking us up out of the depths of despair when we needed it most, but a change is needed.

I don't want him sacked necessarily, but we need a change.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Could it be that Arthur has simply buggered up the selections to avoid being 4th and another loss to the Storm?

I know I know I'm clutching at straws but I hope I'm right.