What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20: Parra v Roosters GAME DAY thread @ Mackay 29/7/21

lingard

Coach
Agreed on Nrown. He’s a shadow of his former self. His laziness around the ruck led to one of their tries last night. I’d actually like to see us try Matto at lock, Nrown off the bench and Cartwright on the edge. I reckon that improves our attack, which has become obsolete.
And Niuikorai at centre.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’d say it’s more to do with our coaching and structures that rely on that game plan, rather than the team. It works fine against shit teams because they usually crumble. Is clear as day though that it’s not good enough against better sides. We shouldn’t be building our whole club around a system that’s limited to beating shit sides.
Except we beat the Storm this year plus matched Penrith. The way we played is the way to beat them. They are better than us so we're going to lose more often than not, but if we are to win we need to control the ball.

Merkins carried on about how much possession we had in the first 20 minutes last night but by half time it was even. So the Roosters must've had just as much ball in the second 20. We can't compete giving away that much ball. Just throwing it around does little to pressure the defence because we don't have the speed to take advantage of it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
They don’t tell you anything other than that what he decides to share with the media.

People looking for media conferences as a source of truth are dumb arses.

he also said his players played stupid, dumb and as individuals …….pretty good indication what he really thought. But hey he mentioned effort was good…….

eel01s

Bench
At full strength and in top form, how do we play? Forwards domination, quick play the balls and the points come. As a result, defence is easier other teams become gassed due to our forwards keeping them on the back foot.

So what happens when this doesn't go to plan? Well, that depends on how well we are playing. After that second try, you could see that was it for us.

Do you see the Storm or Roosters give up? Very, very rarely if not at all.

I think talent wise, our squad is ok, up there with the best. It is the difference in coaching, mental strength (which TBH has been an issue for decades) that separates us from the top sides. Rarely have we played to the best of our ability in a final or a Grand Final. The next six weeks defines us - will we fold and become easybeats or do we stand up and make a challenge for the Premiership?

Every team will have injuries, but smart teams have contingencies in place. Will we pick up another forward today to plug the hole of RCG and Nuikore? The last two games have shown that we have a major issue in attack - just like the second half of last year. OK so Moses has been out, but does that mean we have no structure for the replacement to fit into?

We have most members of this squad locked in for next year. Without major changes to the coaching approach can we expect any difference next year?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
They don’t tell you anything other than that what he decides to share with the media.

People looking for media conferences as a source of truth are dumb arses.
Well if the plan is to look clueless, inept and totally out of his depth it’s working well and he has shared all he needed to share.

And people made fun of Madge for swearing and being inarticulate lol.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But apparently we don't have lazy players. It's all the coaching, nothing to do with the players.
What do want me to say?? The roster is no good?? We have overrated the squad and it’s not good enough to be a contender?? And if that’s the case why is the coach continually happy to pick lazy players and re-sign then???

And if it’s down to the squad not being talented enough you better tell BA because he signed and re-signed the lot of them and from the sounds of it this is pretty much the side we will be running out with next season. I think it’s BS I don’t think it’s as strong as the top 2 sides but with Roosters losing half the side I think it’s at least ahead of them and even with South’s or Manly.

The biggest difference in the top 6 is the quality of the coaches, as I said earlier if you think we are a well coached side I have a bridge to sell for you.

TheRam

Coach
He could have been used better. We struggle for attacking options yet he has completely coached him to be something that he’s not. I would have dropped Nathan Brown weeks ago. He has badly regressed and seems to be in his comfort zone. His hunger has gone. A dumb move to re-sign the handbrake. I would have been happy to let him go.

Don't you think that it is just dumb coaching and that it has turned him into a predictable merkin?

The assistant coaches need to go. Then if BA's 2022 season doesn't end with a realistic chance of winning the Premiership then he needs to go too.

Oh and we also better revise our thinking and make some serious effort in trying to get some real quality speed into this backline.

TheRam

Coach
And Pou, project players usually don’t play over 120 NRL games. BA in the pre season was saying that Cartwright would be the buy of the season yet he has stuck with underperforming or regressing players like Lane and Nathan Brown.

The nepotism and blind loyalty to these players will inevitably cost him his job.

I think you are picking on the wrong players.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Wayne Bennett. He’s available. I used to think Shane Flanagan but the club is divided on him. They know more than I do about him.
Do they?? They gave BA an extension after a spoon and announced it after a 60 point flogging. After last seasons fade out the pressure should of been on him to change up things in the coaching ranks. Nothing was done and people are shocked the same shit is happening again. Well FMD what a shock!!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I still think his press conferences are as effective as our attack in the opposition 20.
I think his press conferences are good. Repeat the same shit. Don’t get tricked into saying something you regret. He’s a boring merkin but he handles his media responsibilities well.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Except we beat the Storm this year plus matched Penrith. The way we played is the way to beat them. They are better than us so we're going to lose more often than not, but if we are to win we need to control the ball.

Merkins carried on about how much possession we had in the first 20 minutes last night but by half time it was even. So the Roosters must've had just as much ball in the second 20. We can't compete giving away that much ball. Just throwing it around does little to pressure the defence because we don't have the speed to take advantage of it.
The difference is that in the 20 minutes we had all the ball, we scored f**k all points. In the following 20 when the chooks had all the ball, they put on 2 tries.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Look at how someone like Jerome Hughes has improved his game, that’s a sign of great coaching and look at how badly Browns attacking game has regressed. But but but the players are lazy and dumb and not good enough.
Jahrome Hughes is nearly 27 years old. He has been a full time footballer since at least 2016, when Dylan Brown was in year 11 at high school. When he was Dylan Brown's age he had played one NRL game, and by his 22nd birthday he had played two games (zero wins). Dylan Brown just turned 21 and has already played 48 games for a 70% win rate. I don't think you grasp quite how young our halves are. But but but Arthur's never gives youngsters a run.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The difference is that in the 20 minutes we had all the ball, we scored f**k all points. In the following 20 when the chooks had all the ball, they put on 2 tries.
From clean line breaks from Manu and Tedesco straight through the middle.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
At full strength and in top form, how do we play? Forwards domination, quick play the balls and the points come. As a result, defence is easier other teams become gassed due to our forwards keeping them on the back foot.

So what happens when this doesn't go to plan? Well, that depends on how well we are playing. After that second try, you could see that was it for us.

Do you see the Storm or Roosters give up? Very, very rarely if not at all.

I think talent wise, our squad is ok, up there with the best. It is the difference in coaching, mental strength (which TBH has been an issue for decades) that separates us from the top sides. Rarely have we played to the best of our ability in a final or a Grand Final. The next six weeks defines us - will we fold and become easybeats or do we stand up and make a challenge for the Premiership?

Every team will have injuries, but smart teams have contingencies in place. Will we pick up another forward today to plug the hole of RCG and Nuikore? The last two games have shown that we have a major issue in attack - just like the second half of last year. OK so Moses has been out, but does that mean we have no structure for the replacement to fit into?

We have most members of this squad locked in for next year. Without major changes to the coaching approach can we expect any difference next year?
I think that’s just it…there is no Plan B. If we don’t absolutely dominate the middle, we have nothing else to fall back on. Surely that falls on the coaching staff and systems, and not just the players. The team isn’t always going to be firing on all cylinders so there needs to be contingencies in place for when things don’t go exactly to plan. I have seen zero evidence that we have a Plan B and so we pretty much just fold over and get exposed like you know what.

84 Baby

Referee
He’s average for our standards. He’d be poor elsewhere.
Quite harsh on Opacic. There’s plenty of shit centres going around. You’d prefer Gagai, Brad Parker/Lionel Richie?
At the end of the day, he’s in our top 17 so that RCG and Junior can also be in the top 17.
He played shit yesterday but in other games, he’s had respectable performances

Latest posts