What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 106 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.7%

• Total voters

lingard

Coach
Almost every signing is a gamble - player or coach. Those saying we shouldn't sack Arthur until a 'better option' comes along are delusional. How do you recognise a 'better option'? I just don't want anymore of this boring, embarrassing shit. A rookie will be just fine with me. (Having said that, my choice would be Flanno - but, hey, what would I know?)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Almost every signing is a gamble - player or coach. Those saying we shouldn't sack Arthur until a 'better option' comes along are delusional. How do you recognise a 'better option'? I just don't want anymore of this boring, embarrassing shit. A rookie will be just fine with me. (Having said that, my choice would be Flanno - but, hey, what would I know?)
Why would you want to go with a worse option? Don’t see why suggesting we should aim for a better option is ‘delusional’. Of course it’s a risk. But with sensible management that avoids knee jerk reactions you can minimise that risk.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I was going to create a new thread but I’ll just put it here. Watch the Shane Flanagan rumours intensify with every loss and with our inevitable flaccid exit from the finals.

I expect it to start as soon as next week from Mr Rothfield and co. Come on Buzz you know you want to and it doesn’t matter that I stole some of your thunder. 😉
Yep. Let’s pray for some destabilising media. Great plan!

IFR33K

Coach
Why would you want to go with a worse option? Don’t see why suggesting we should aim for a better option is ‘delusional’. Of course it’s a risk. But with sensible management that avoids knee jerk reactions you can minimise that risk.

Define a better or worse option. It’s safe to assume SK would be a worse option. But how could you determine if Jim Dymock or josh hannay are better or worse?

lucablight

First Grade
I was going to create a new thread but I’ll just put it here. Watch the Shane Flanagan rumours intensify with every loss and with our inevitable flaccid exit from the finals.

I expect it to start as soon as next week from Mr Rothfield and co. Come on Buzz you know you want to and it doesn’t matter that I stole some of your thunder. 😉
Flanagan seems like a good coach but I’d be terrified of being forced to sign his son if he was to coach us.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
How could you tell, if a rookie is a worse or better option? Is that hard?
As a general rule, I think I’d be reluctant to replace BA with a rookie. Unless of course I was a member of the selection panel and they wowed me with an amazing vision for the team.

I’d be going for someone who has proven that they know what they are doing. Bennett, even Flanno wouldn’t be the worst choice.

We’ve become a solid club with great potential. We don’t need to take big risks if we decide to replace BA.

IFR33K

Coach
As a general rule, I think I’d be reluctant to replace BA with a rookie. Unless of course I was a member of the selection panel and they wowed me with an amazing vision for the team.

I’d be going for someone who has proven that they know what they are doing. Bennett, even Flanno wouldn’t be the worst choice.

We’ve become a solid club with great potential. We don’t need to take big risks if we decide to replace BA.

Honestly, I think BA is a good man manager. That’s his strength. But he’s lacking in the coaching ability. We just look like a poorly prepared team, often.

Delboy

First Grade
Honestly, I think BA is a good man manager. That’s his strength. But he’s lacking in the coaching ability. We just look like a poorly prepared team, often.
My thoughts remain unchanged, but if there no changes to the asst coaches, then BA despite what he has done for the club will be under severe threat.

Don’t know the HOF and Board, but if they are seeing how far behind we are the other teams in the top 5/6 regards structure , tactics and basics when in possession , then they may have little option but to call time. Perhaps there is a necessity to bring in someone to challenge BA and bring the changes needed.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Is our roster that poor, that Brad has over-achieved?

Personally, I don't think so.

While we do have deficiencies (eg: lack of raw speed on the edges, consistency in our halves), out team on paper is more than serviceable:

Gutherson is probably on the tier just below elite, but he is an excellent player

Sivo had lots of deficiencies in his game, but is also a massive threat inside the opposition 20m zone

Waqa Blake is an erratic enigma, but he is good enough to cause teams plenty of headaches

Dylan Brown is dripping with potential, and raw talent

Mitchell Moses is erratic, but imo, the most skilful halfback in the NRL

Paulo and RCG are a better starting front row than many other teams'

Mahoney is elite

Matterson and Papali'i are both excellent players

Nathan Brown has his limitations (eg: not the biggest bloke), but he plays with energy, aggression, and he brings some skills to our middle

Lane, Niukore, and Kaufusi are all serviceable interchange forwards

We don't have the best team in the NRL on paper, but imo, the team - if they play to their true potential - is easily a top 4 team.

But we are seeing:

* Junior Paulo trundle up to the line, and look to offload first

* Matterson wasting his talents by trying to run through defences

* Dylan Brown not progressing his game

* Papali'i relying on brute force, and footwork, to get the job done

* Sivo not working hard enough for a modern NRL winger

* Opacic continually making silly errors

* Gutherson and Nathan Brown's form slump

* Maboney not engaging markers, despite being talented enough to do so

Now, granted - some of those issues may not be coaching issues.

But we seem poorly-prepared on a regular basis - we tend to start games well, run out of patience after 20 minutes, and start panicking.

That's not solely on Brad Arthur - his assistants are clearly not preparing the team properly.

But if on-field performances don't improve, then I'm afraid that there will be no recourse left but to go a different direction in 2023...

Chipmunk

Coach
Flanagan seems like a good coach but I’d be terrified of being forced to sign his son if he was to coach us.
We'll need a back up half once we terminate our current rookie back up half, whose immediate career will come to a thundering hiatus once his father is no longer here.

IFR33K

Coach
Is our roster that poor, that Brad has over-achieved?

Personally, I don't think so.

While we do have deficiencies (eg: lack of raw speed on the edges, consistency in our halves), out team on paper is more than serviceable:

Gutherson is probably on the tier just below elite, but he is an excellent player

Sivo had lots of deficiencies in his game, but is also a massive threat inside the opposition 20m zone

Waqa Blake is an erratic enigma, but he is good enough to cause teams plenty of headaches

Dylan Brown is dripping with potential, and raw talent

Mitchell Moses is erratic, but imo, the most skilful halfback in the NRL

Paulo and RCG are a better starting front row than many other teams'

Mahoney is elite

Matterson and Papali'i are both excellent players

Nathan Brown has his limitations (eg: not the biggest bloke), but he plays with energy, aggression, and he brings some skills to our middle

Lane, Niukore, and Kaufusi are all serviceable interchange forwards

We don't have the best team in the NRL on paper, but imo, the team - if they play to their true potential - is easily a top 4 team.

But we are seeing:

* Junior Paulo trundle up to the line, and look to offload first

* Matterson wasting his talents by trying to run through defences

* Dylan Brown not progressing his game

* Papali'i relying on brute force, and footwork, to get the job done

* Sivo not working hard enough for a modern NRL winger

* Opacic continually making silly errors

* Gutherson and Nathan Brown's form slump

* Maboney not engaging markers, despite being talented enough to do so

Now, granted - some of those issues may not be coaching issues.

But we seem poorly-prepared on a regular basis - we tend to start games well, run out of patience after 20 minutes, and start panicking.

That's not solely on Brad Arthur - his assistants are clearly not preparing the team properly.

But if on-field performances don't improve, then I'm afraid that there will be no recourse left but to go a different direction in 2023...

Good summary. We don’t have a poor roster. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t be mixing it with the best. We’ve proved at times we can. The board aren’t stupid. They’ll be well aware of our straight sets exit. Not sure they’ll accept mediocrity like our coach has. Interesting times ahead.

lucablight

First Grade
Good summary. We don’t have a poor roster. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t be mixing it with the best. We’ve proved at times we can. The board aren’t stupid. They’ll be well aware of our straight sets exit. Not sure they’ll accept mediocrity like our coach has. Interesting times ahead.
How do you know about the boards position?

IFR33K

Coach
We have fans here saying a finals berth for us is equivalent of a premiership so I have no idea.

Don’t bother arguing with him. He’s here for his own sick entertainment. Makes shit up as he goes along. You think anyone at the eels, the players or coach would be happy with early exits each year? How he’s come up with that conclusion is beyond me.

Latest posts