What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge The Myth ?

stryker

First Grade
People talk about Bellamy like he's the second coming and how great and smart he is.
He was also kissed on the dick by a fairy to have three of the 10 players in the past 15 - 20 years in their positions in Cronk, Smith and Slater. All three strived to be the best they could worked hard and did everything they could to succeed and win. They also expected team mates to do the same and few who they thought weren't worthy made it.

Put Bellamy at the Tigers and he would be Beau Ryan, a bloke who tries hard but will never be more than a half decent 1st grader.

I will say one thing for Bellamy though, when you listen Slater and Crink talk they talk about identity of the club, the dna of a group, what do you stand for, not making excuses because you travel, away games, short turn around, expectation to always succeed, We have never been like that. But like I said, culture is easy when you have champion players.
He helped cultivate those players. It is just dumb to deny his CV.
FFS Cooper Cronk was from Union and then when he played league he was a reserve utility in the forwards before Belly turned him into one of the most celebrated halfbacks ever.
The guy is winner and despite what jealous f**kheads say, he has created one hell of a football operation.

Tiger05

First Grade
He helped cultivate those players. It is just dumb to deny his CV.
FFS Cooper Cronk was from Union and then when he played league he was a reserve utility in the forwards before Belly turned him into one of the most celebrated halfbacks ever.
The guy is winner and despite what jealous f**kheads say, he has created one hell of a football operation.

I think I've seen one athlete in my life go from being not at the top to being at the top. His name was Bradbury and he also was good enough to make the finals in the Olympics.

He deserves some credit for what he has done but coaches don't create talent.

I'm also not jealous one little bit about Bellamy and I have no idea why anyone would be jealous of him.

He would never have done what he did at Melbourne with the Tigers.

Pezz70

Juniors
I think I've seen one athlete in my life go from being not at the top to being at the top. His name was Bradbury and he also was good enough to make the finals in the Olympics.

I'm also not jealous one little bit about Bellamy and I have no idea why anyone would be jealous of him.

I disagree to a large extent. Bellamy knows his type and he has had great success in cultivating them. He has fantastic support staff too that he has developed over the years. There’s effectively two teams, the rugby league team, and coaching and development staff at Melbourne. Everyone knows what the coach wants and they all move in one direction. The West’s Tigers have never had that. They’ve had three leagues clubs, a board that for many years couldn’t agree on anything other than west’s and tigers hated each other, 5 home grounds, and as many coaches. A recipe for poo on a platter.

What we need now is a development plan starting with 14 and 15 year old kids, a squad of 60 or so kids scouted from western suburbs/ grp to start fitness training and skills programs ( and this is why concord is an absolute shit place for a rugby league academy) . Train them hard, absolutely savage discipline within the club and outside, no chances - you get kicked out of school or leave without employment - no spot for you at the tigers, you get charged for drugs/violent offences/ drink driving- see you later, you don’t cut it at training gone. The kids need to know that hard work gets rewards, adulation and respect not being a dickhead. Have educational support and reviews of their schooling, successful and disciplined education leads to success. We need to start from the ground up. Start with 60, do your homework watch their games, watch how they interact with people around them, watch them at training, interview the kids. Have another 30 possibles that are on programs outside the top 60, if any of the 60 fall over or break the rules one of the 30 gets offered a spot after evaluation.

Training twice a week with development squad, top 20 or so play Harold Matt’s etc, other 40 play with the junior footy club. So you have forty role models playing in your local comps spreading about superior skills and showing other kids what it takes to get ahead playing footy. Top 20 return to local clubs at completion of rep season but all 60 train all year with development squad

By the time your first squad hits 22 you’ve got 300 trained and disciplined players over 18.

Last edited:
I reckon AD will still attack in the halves, but will shift to the centres in defence. Still when a coach is moving players out of position it is usually suggesting they’ve given ip.

stryker

First Grade

Of course not, the Tigers are a two bit, unprofessional rabble.
They were born of two loser professional victim identities that formed an organisation that barely ever tries. That is the complete opposite of Melbourne who were born to compete and win premierships. Bellamy is always ahead of the curve and his club backs him. He would not have stuck around here.

stryker

First Grade
I disagree to a large extent. Bellamy knows his type and he has had great success in cultivating them. He has fantastic support staff too that he has developed over the years. There’s effectively two teams, the rugby league team, and coaching and development staff at Melbourne. Everyone knows what the coach wants and they all move in one direction. The West’s Tigers have never had that. They’ve had three leagues clubs, a board that for many years couldn’t agree on anything other than west’s and tigers hated each other, 5 home grounds, and as many coaches. A recipe for poo on a platter.

What we need now is a development plan starting with 14 and 15 year old kids, a squad of 60 or so kids scouted from western suburbs/ grp to start fitness training and skills programs ( and this is why concord is an absolute shit place for a rugby league academy) . Train them hard, absolutely savage discipline within the club and outside, no chances - you get kicked out of school or leave without employment - no spot for you at the tigers, you get charged for drugs/violent offences/ drink driving- see you later, you don’t cut it at training gone. The kids need to know that hard work gets rewards, adulation and respect not being a dickhead. Have educational support and reviews of their schooling, successful and disciplined education leads to success. We need to start from the ground up. Start with 60, do your homework watch their games, watch how they interact with people around them, watch them at training, interview the kids. Have another 30 possibles that are on programs outside the top 60, if any of the 60 fall over or break the rules one of the 30 gets offered a spot after evaluation.

Training twice a week with development squad, top 20 or so play Harold Matt’s etc, other 40 play with the junior footy club. So you have forty role models playing in your local comps spreading about superior skills and showing other kids what it takes to get ahead playing footy. Top 20 return to local clubs at completion of rep season but all 60 train all year with development squad

By the time your first squad hits 22 you’ve got 300 trained and disciplined players over 18.
Very well said.
I can’t believe people still think the guy fell arse backwards into success.
He is disciplined, creative, strong, passionate and so are his teams.
Say what you will about the wrestle, but in the sport of Rugby League it was a genius way of controlling the ruck. Jiu jitsu moves are perfectly adaptable to the competition for every tackle. Since it’s introduction, only those who mastered it saw success. Those who didn’t came 9th or worse every year.

Tiger05

First Grade
Jiu jitsu moves are perfectly adaptable to the competition for every tackle. Since it’s introduction, only those who mastered it saw success. Those who didn’t came 9th or worse every year.

Do you think the Tigers don't do wrestling/jiu-jitsu ?

Fordy20

Juniors
Very well said.
I can’t believe people still think the guy fell arse backwards into success.

Bellamy is great coach, but I take issue with the perception that he did it all himself. There was a very professional front office and administration behind him which allowed him to flourish.

The other thing about this idolisation of Bellamy as a coach is that it feeds this idea that all our club needs is the right coach and everything will be roses. No single coach is going to be a panacea and even if a particular coach was, our club has nothing to attract such a coach beyond offering the challenge of turning it all around.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Id rather buy the Roosters or the Melbourne Front office teams than a new coach TBH.

There is an article on news.com.au now about how Cronulla messed up the Reynolds signing. I hope our guys read it. Because it all sounds very familiar.
Didn't Hartigan come from the Roosters? hopefully the first step

macnaz

Staff member
Does Madge actually watch state cup?
When you see the power and talent available there but then see him promote players like Seyfarce im struggling to understand what the f**k he is thinking.

macnaz

Staff member
Confirmed ! Madge is a Myth .
I've sat on the fence for a while and didn't like the idea of another coaching change but if we are going to be totally honest with ourselves we can all see this isn't ever going to change under Madge. We hear all the BS about building etc but building is exactly that BUILDING , im f**ked if I can see anything like that . All I see is demolition , we are going backwards in every single aspect of the game .Skills, Attitude, Defence , Selections , Game plans , and so on .
But now even if we replace Madge with another coach ,the club in their pathetic wisdom decided to re hire a failed old egotistical merkin who will now dictate the clubs future ... we are putting our faith in that prick who was that dumb he thought Andrew Fifita was hopeless ??
Should have hired Geoff Toovey when we had the chance and I doubt we would have been anywhere near the mess we are in.🤬

Tiger05

First Grade
But now even if we replace Madge with another coach ,the club in their pathetic wisdom decided to re hire a failed old egotistical merkin who will now dictate the clubs future ... we are putting our faith in that prick who was that dumb he thought Andrew Fifita was hopeless ??

I can just picture it. Sheensy back to replace Madge.

I can just picture it. Sheensy back to replace Madge.
Madge will get the push next year after round 5, Tim back as interim coach.

If Tim was coach, they would have been too scared to f**k about like that in last 5 minutes.

Theyd be practising running to dummy half for 36 hours straight.

I like Madge, but he’s struggling. There’s little, sorry, no evidence of any growth as the mod says above. It’s a sinking with more rapid depth every other week.

2022 looks a lot brighter.

simmo1

First Grade
I think Madge can coach. His record before coming here was good. He says and does all the right things in pressers. He seemed like one of the few who gives a shit in that Tigers doco. He has had both hands tied behind his back with respect to the salary cap. However...

The team is going backwards. He has simply not adapted at all to the new rules. Brooks, Liddle and Laurie should be causing havoc through the middle with the fast paced game in 2021 but they never link up. The defence is somehow worse than its ever been. He cannot attract any signings of note, and I think this is partly due to his reputation as a disciplinarian on top of our our abysmal record the past 10 years.

It's time for a change. Whoever comes in will have a much easier task than Madge did.

stryker

First Grade
I think Madge can coach. His record before coming here was good. He says and does all the right things in pressers. He seemed like one of the few who gives a shit in that Tigers doco. He has had both hands tied behind his back with respect to the salary cap. However...

The team is going backwards. He has simply not adapted at all to the new rules. Brooks, Liddle and Laurie should be causing havoc through the middle with the fast paced game in 2021 but they never link up. The defence is somehow worse than its ever been. He cannot attract any signings of note, and I think this is partly due to his reputation as a disciplinarian on top of our our abysmal record the past 10 years.

It's time for a change. Whoever comes in will have a much easier task than Madge did.
Yeah definitely has to go.
2019 and 2020 were disgraceful but this year has had some of this club’s worst performances in the past decade.