What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most overrated players?

Drag Queen

Bench
Tinder can come in handy Jimmy. We got stuck in a situation that no cab cometh. Step-son swiped right and we got home safely and didn't have to feed him the next day. Win win I guess.

ouryears

Bench
I love this question. I used to love it when they polled the players and asked them for their vote on who was the most overrated players. Many a time, I would agree with the ones who the players voted for. Overrated can be overrated by the selectors or overrated by the media or even overrated by the fans. Here are my most overrated

1 Boyd Cordner. Cordner is the luckiest player in the comp. He is just an above average edge backrower who has been given a saloon passage to rep honours and then NSW and now Australian captain. Myself and many other good judges thought he was extremely lucky to make the NSW team this year. Tariq Sims should definitely have been picked ahead of him. Sims was the form secondrower of the comp this year.

2 Adam Overrated Reynolds. Reynolds is overrated by the media and fan. He does posses a very good kicking game, but that is the be all and end of of his game. I have thought he was overrated for his whole career.

3 Josh Jackson. Jackson was very lucky to be making the NSW side for as long as his did. then this year he wins the Dally M second rower of the year.

Who else do you all think is overrated?

Ben Creagh
Jason Ryles
Paul Gallen
Dugan, Dugan and Dugan

Crush

Coach
Ben Creagh
Jason Ryles
Paul Gallen
Dugan, Dugan and Dugan
Ben Creagh was alright, maybe slightly overrated but not all time.
Jason Ryles was an absolute shocker. I couldn't stand him. Penalty magnet and was surely betting on sportsbet, he lost us plenty single-handedly.
Gallen is a joke. Just a statistic chaser. He's a first grader no doubt but no way he should have been captain of blues FFS.
Dugan on his day is great but his good days are like gold dust. And he is the most injury prone player in NRL.
He'll be playing ESL by end of 2019.

watatank

Coach
Ryles and Creagh were maligned players during their time but they remain the only players that have won the club player of the year award three times. Creagh won two of them during 2009-2010

Drag Queen

Bench
I was excited when I first saw Quinlan coming into 1st grade on potential and promises alone but from reserve grade and Dufty spent little time in reserves straight out of Under 20's then into 1sts.
It did not take that long to work out Quinlan was not going to make it and he was older. Chalk and cheese, 2 different players and Quinlan proved in the end he was not 1st grade standard in any facet.
Dufty is a more exciting attacker than Quinlan, has things to work on but is still young and I will give him another year to see if he develops further.
Poor Quinlan was in a worse team and likely worse coach under Supecoach Price, but he did nothing when went to Wentworthville... and where is he now!. Quinlan never once won a game for us and never came on from his time in reserves. Time will tell with Dufty.
Look back on youtube. I do know Quinny, just to be transparent. Brad Arthur had doubts about Hopoate and thought he might be the fix. St Helens were calling for a FB and Parra granted him a release. Scored a hat-trick within days of arriving on debut. They then went on to the semis. BTW Quinny was was only 20 on debut. A smaller and tougher FB than Dufty especially in support, You profess that Dufty is the better player. I beg to differ.

ALSGI

Bench
Look back on youtube. I do know Quinny, just to be transparent. Brad Arthur had doubts about Hopoate and thought he might be the fix. St Helens were calling for a FB and Parra granted him a release. Scored a hat-trick within days of arriving on debut. They then went on to the semis. BTW Quinny was was only 20 on debut. A smaller and tougher FB than Dufty especially in support, You profess that Dufty is the better player. I beg to differ.
Yep, ‘Quinny’ he’s the answer. Dump Dufty, dump the lot let’s get Quinny back asap.
Idiot.

Crush

Coach
Quinlan was always a fringe player, in and out of first grade. In his 29 games spanning over 3 seasons with Dragons he scored 9 tries.
Dufty played every game this season and scored 13 tries with a bunch of try assists and lets not forget some of those 13 tries actually won us the 2 points on his individual brilliance.
Not only is Dufty a far superior fullback than Quinlan ever was, he is just getting started and has loads of improvement in him.
In my opinion-
Quinlan was a handy little reserve player. Dufty is much much more.

Drakon

Juniors
To my mind Woods is the most overrated player. How he got a start for the Kangaroos with RCG watching on, I don't know! We need RCG over Woods against Tonga.

Always thought Josh Jackson overrated but I do consider him a good solid first grader.

Don't think Frizz has reached his potential and hate to say it but Hunt is overrated too. Makes bad decisions. After everything else, he kicked long at the end of the Aus vs NZ game. Bad decision on top of others. Happy for him to prove me wrong.

And for the record, I always liked Quinlan. Maybe not an elite fullback but had a little bit of X factor about him and very happy to see him doing well in the ESL.

Drag Queen

Bench
Yep, ‘Quinny’ he’s the answer. Dump Dufty, dump the lot let’s get Quinny back asap.
Idiot.
I should reiterate. Quinny was not the answer for FB (too small). Neither is Dufty (too small) Merely pointing out he has less deficiencies than Dufty. I was not advocating that we bring back Quinlan. The fact that I stick up for him is the same reason I have stuck up for Kurt Mann. Both have been dicked around. If that makes me an idiot then shame on you.

Drag Queen

Bench
Quinlan was always a fringe player, in and out of first grade. In his 29 games spanning over 3 seasons with Dragons he scored 9 tries.
Dufty played every game this season and scored 13 tries with a bunch of try assists and lets not forget some of those 13 tries actually won us the 2 points on his individual brilliance.
Not only is Dufty a far superior fullback than Quinlan ever was, he is just getting started and has loads of improvement in him.
In my opinion-
Quinlan was a handy little reserve player. Dufty is much much more.
No he isn't Crush. We are sorely missing a much needed rounded FB. Size, aggression and support is what we need in this position. Dufty has pace and that's about it. Not enough. If you're happy with that you have blinkers on. He is definitely not an upgrade on Quinny. Much the same except Quinny was always sniffing around the ruck and getting the ball. Short memory mate. Let's re-evaluate at the end of 2019. Fair? PS. It's not all about scoring tries, try assists go a long way too as you would know.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
Ryles and Creagh were maligned players during their time but they remain the only players that have won the club player of the year award three times. Creagh won two of them during 2009-2010
winning those awards just confirms my thoughts that they were over rated.
Decent players for sure, but over rated in my opinion

ouryears

Bench
Idiot.
Are people idiots for having an opinion?
Cyber bullying?!
I think it was banned along with chauvinism, homophobia and all the other nasty things......

ALSGI

Bench
Are people idiots for having an opinion?
Cyber bullying?!
I think it was banned along with chauvinism, homophobia and all the other nasty things......
Anyone claiming ‘Quinny’ is a better, smaller, tougher FB than Dufty is an idiot.

grouch

First Grade
Creagh was part of the lethal left edge that got us to a grand final, he led the forwards for metres in that grand final, and won the club player of the year award the year we won the grand final. So overrated.

The dude is a club legend

possm

Coach
I'd say when you take the final decisions on recruitment/pathways out of the hand of the coaching staff, you provide an environment of less accountability for both recruitment/pathways and the coaching staff. History will show this change in management structure was more about Mary's inability to cope with the full responsibility of being head coach and the ambitions of Millward to find an easy/important job at SGI.

My 2021 Over-rated XIII :
1 Kalyn Ponga 2 Charlie Staines 3 Zac Lomax 4 Bradman Best 5 Jason Saab 6 Matt Moylan 7 Shaun Johnson
13 Dale Finucane 12 Jai Arrow 11 Villiame Kikau 10 Aaron Woods 9 Victor Radley 8 Paul Vaughan
"Coach" : Michael Maguire