What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 20 vs Canberra @ Suncorp Stadium

Who will win? Round 20: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Canberra Raiders 1-12

• Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aqua_duck

Coach
Not surprised it's not going ahead, the QLD government would look like massive hypocrites if it allowed NRL to go ahead when everyone else is in lockdown even if it were played behind closed doors

Burwood

Bench
Not surprised it's not going ahead, the QLD government would look like massive hypocrites if it allowed NRL to go ahead when everyone else is in lockdown even if it were played behind closed doors

Luckily the racing industry seems to be immune to COVID and can happily go ahead today.

Yosh

Coach
Awesome. As much as some of Vlandy's policies have sucked, he really has navigated the COVID period well.

Jono078

Referee
I'm stoked with Vlandys. Not a fan of his sudden rule changes, but other than that he's fought hard for the game and usually gets his way.

Hope we're ready for it tomorrow! IF AOB uses this as an excuse...

Knight Tales

Juniors
Vlandys is a world class administrator. He is not fazed be anything or anyone. Literally the smartest man in the room.

Knight Tales

Juniors
I'm stoked with Vlandys. Not a fan of his sudden rule changes, but other than that he's fought hard for the game and usually gets his way.

Hope we're ready for it tomorrow! IF AOB uses this as an excuse...
He won’t make excuses. He knows he is under the pump now but he will get
Another off season to fix it. After that though…….

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’ve been fairly forgiving of AOB thus far given he’s been dealt a really rough hand with injuries since he took over last season but I’m at the point where I’ll give him until the start of next season to show he can coach. I realise that we aren’t going to be as flashy without some of those big names on the park but the thing that gets me is that most of the time (even with those guys on the field) we look like a bunch of headless chickens.

He’s got one more pre-season to convince me because at that stage the honeymoon is well and truly over. If we get bad injuries next season (which we undoubtedly will) then this team needs to be able to at least look competent on the field. I don’t expect us to win every game but getting blown off the park by 40 whenever a couple of key players are out isn’t acceptable anymore.

Knight Tales

Juniors
I’ve been fairly forgiving of AOB thus far given he’s been dealt a really rough hand with injuries since he took over last season but I’m at the point where I’ll give him until the start of next season to show he can coach. I realise that we aren’t going to be as flashy without some of those big names on the park but the thing that gets me is that most of the time (even with those guys on the field) we look like a bunch of headless chickens.

He’s got one more pre-season to convince me because at that stage the honeymoon is well and truly over. If we get bad injuries next season (which we undoubtedly will) then this team needs to be able to at least look competent on the field. I don’t expect us to win every game but getting blown off the park by 40 whenever a couple of key players are out isn’t acceptable anymore.
Yeah. Very well put. It has always bothered me we do not open the shoulders in attack when we have teams on the back foot but can’t drag a game into the gutter when we need to kill momentum. I get the lack of scrums and fast restarts are a big reason, but we play at the same pace regardless of the actual pace of the game. Great sides play longer sets and shorter sets based on momentum. We have none of that. We will move the ball wide when our pack have been walking between sets knackered. Where is the support play going to come from? When you pack is knackered get to your kick. Buy them a breather set. Penrith have mastered that art. It is a big reason why To’o makes so many metres albeit he is a like an extra forward. Then next set their pack is coming at you full force.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
I have a good feeling about this game
I don't. But the last few times I had really good feelings I was bitterly disappointed. So I hope you're right and my feeling is wrong again!

Back to AOB for a second. Melbourne's spine has had Papenhuyzen and Grant missing. Roosters entire spine except Teddy has been missing. So moving forward we can't use that as an excuse for AOB or the club's severe drop in performance when players are missing.

I know Melbourne and the Roosters are cashed up and built that over a long time, but the only way to get to that level is to start setting those expectations.