What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Matua

Bench
Shannon Frizzell might be on the radar, could be as good as his older brother, and meets the Warriors current requirements for off field behaviour.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Sounds like Joey Manu is on the radar. From 2023 to play at five-eighth.

7 figures a season.

That sounds like madness

Top player and maybe as a fullback commands some big coin, but an unproven 5/8 on a mil is a recipe for disaster

Moses isn’t even getting that wedge in his latest deal

WellsNZ

Juniors
I'd throw the bank at Manu no problem. We aren't developing any player of that quality who can be a genuine match winner. Only 25 and comes from a professional, winning environment. He looks better the more he gets the ball.

Probably end up in the 1 when Walsh inevitably gets sick of us home sick anyway.

That sounds like madness

Top player and maybe as a fullback commands some big coin, but an unproven 5/8 on a mil is a recipe for disaster

Moses isn’t even getting that wedge in his latest deal

Manu will be good a 6 if not we can always shuffle him back to Full Back or Centre. Walsh to 6. It's not that crazy and most clubs including yours have had some crazy signings the past few years. I say go for it. Manu is quality. We paid that much for Flopkins. Manu definitely deserves that much.

Moses sucks and has been overpaid for years the little overrated merkin.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Manu will be good a 6 if not we can always shuffle him back to Full Back or Centre. Walsh to 6. It's not that crazy and most clubs including yours have had some crazy signings the past few years. I say go for it. Manu is quality. We paid that much for Flopkins. Manu definitely deserves that much.

Moses sucks and has been overpaid for years the little overrated merkin.

You’d have to go fullback, because if youre paying 1 mil for a player outside of the spine your cap is a mile out of whack, and at that price tag, they have to be icing tight games which you can’t do from centre.

If you look at the crazy ones, Milford and Taylor are probably the prime example and it’s gone badly wrong and hurt the club moving forward, that’s the danger of it when there are other overpaid deals around them

I’ll add though that if Johnson is on 400k, it does help balance out the cap which is all part of the juggle. In Manly’s example this year and next Foran is on 200k which balances out a bit spending 2 million on Tom and DCE

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
Will depend on the promises they have made to Walsh I guess.
May be enough for him to leave early.

You’d have to go fullback, because if youre paying 1 mil for a player outside of the spine your cap is a mile out of whack, and at that price tag, they have to be icing tight games which you can’t do from centre.

If you look at the crazy ones, Milford and Taylor are probably the prime example and it’s gone badly wrong and hurt the club moving forward, that’s the danger of it when there are other overpaid deals around them

I’ll add though that if Johnson is on 400k, it does help balance out the cap which is all part of the juggle. In Manly’s example this year and next Foran is on 200k which balances out a bit spending 2 million on Tom and DCE
Manu can play any role that suits us at the time (Injuries, suspensions etc) I think it would be better for Walsh to go in the halves and have someone like Tohu protect him. He's too small for Full Back atm and he is more dangerous with ball in hand compared to the last line of defence at Full Back. I wouldn't let this potential signing bother your Mr Beaver. You got a 1 man team in Manly to worry about lol. No Turbo usually means no win.

Will depend on the promises they have made to Walsh I guess.
May be enough for him to leave early.
He was always going to leave us. Lets not fool ourselves here. The Manu interest makes perfect sense to assure us that we will have someone bloody good to replace RTS / Walsh with. Lets put it this way I know who I would want at FB between Manu and Walsh.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Manu can play any role that suits us at the time (Injuries, suspensions etc) I think it would be better for Walsh to go in the halves and have someone like Tohu protect him. He's too small for Full Back atm and he is more dangerous with ball in hand compared to the last line of defence at Full Back. I wouldn't let this potential signing bother your Mr Beaver. You got a 1 man team in Manly to worry about lol. No Turbo usually means no win.

Apart from the past couple of games when plenty others have come back into the side too ;)

I got a game in this country to worry about, NZRL have gone peaheart so need the Warriors firing again !! The grassroots level is in big trouble in many regions, for example the former stronghold of the West coast no longer has a competition

Apart from the past couple of games when plenty others have come back into the side too ;)

I got a game in this country to worry about, NZRL have gone peaheart so need the Warriors firing again !! The grassroots level is in big trouble in many regions, for example the former stronghold of the West coast no longer has a competition
Fair points. The NZRL haven't had heart or balls for a very long time. It's concerning.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Whispers on a Reddit thread that Hughes is homesick and is still considering coming to the Warriors.
We all know that contracts aren’t worth the paper they’re written on these days, and while I don’t think it’s going to happen, if the Storm win another one this year, what’s he got to prove? Come back and receive a mill a year son, your legacy will be bigger if you drag the Warriors to a premiership!

jaseg

Juniors
Whispers on a Reddit thread that Hughes is homesick and is still considering coming to the Warriors.
We all know that contracts aren’t worth the paper they’re written on these days, and while I don’t think it’s going to happen, if the Storm win another one this year, what’s he got to prove? Come back and receive a mill a year son, your legacy will be bigger if you drag the Warriors to a premiership!

It's a nice thought, but the Storm don't let guys go like that. They'll get big compensation or he'll see out that deal.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Even if Hughes did try to get out of his deal, I imagine Melbourne would be saying yeah great, if the Warriors transfer us someone we want ala what they were doing with Smith.

Then they'd be like lol we don't want any of your players and hang up.

And I don't blame them for it, every team should be taking a hard stance on this

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Wikipedia says the last time he lived in NZ was 2008. That's some seriously delayed home sickness. And he just rejected a 2.5m contract with us for 3 years. Sounds like fake news to me.