What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Might be good. Contracted with Roosters till the end of next season. Reports his French wife wants to move back to France then. Salary reported at around $900,000. I think Uncle Nick would ensure they keep him if he decides to stay in Oz. Again, our problem is why would a successful coach want to move from a successful club to the Dragons, except for massive overs? Next?
We can easily get him but the Illawarra faction will f**k it up.

BLM01

First Grade
This.

My view is there is no chance he gets the bullet this year irrespective of whether we win another game.

What will piss me off, is if we witness a contract extension mid 2022. I dont care if we are in the 8, in the top 4 or not. Any contract extension ( or thought of same ), should be at the end of 2022.

Without sounding disrespectful, its not as if Griffin is sought after. Let him earn his contract and let the Club learn from their previous screwups.
The problem waiting till the end of the year is attracting, retaining players and uncertainity around who will be the coach
especially at our club we have a major list coming off contract and a good number of those we will want to retain
Has to be mid-midlate season at the latest but agree not Round 5 or 6 after a 4/2 start etc

Gaygo

Juniors
Up to there describes Hunt perfectly. Are you honestly telling me that Hunt is in the mould of past Dragons halves as Smith, Morris, Strudwick, Haddock, Linnane..and there are others. All these blokes had pace, could defend and had some creativity.
Hunt may not be the most creative half but what he lacks in that area he makes up with his defence and his ability to score try’s. Billy Smith was the pick of the halves you mentioned followed by Morris. Hunt will improve when our forwards are able to dominate the opposition pack like we were doing in the first quarter of the season.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
FMD talk about people wanting to make silk purses out of a sow's ears.

He walked into a complete basket case which was heading further south due to a very poor roster, overpaid non performers, an even worse cap, absolutely no culture and nepotism galore.

People need to take a reality pill or two the place was a complete clusterf**k and nobody was going to turn that around in 5 minutes but as per usual some in here expect miracles.

People asking why Beale, why Burns bla bla FMD wake up and think what self respecting rep quality player was ever going to walk into our dressing shed after our last few years in the paddock.

Hook has brought a couple of fillers whilst he sorts out the wheat from the chaff and at the same time is grading the apples in the barrel and discarding the rotten one's.

And lots in here also saying Hook was going to extend this one and that one including Norman and sign this one and that one including Milford and all that turned out to be wild assumptions.

There are a couple of decent signings on their way, a couple that might work out ok and we haven't paid overs like we did for Hunt & Norman.

So to think that Hook should be sacked IMO is saying you don't understand the harsh reality of how big the mess was he inherited.

Re Flanagan well he had a chance whilst here and did nothing and he was the peptide premiership winner so f**k him.
Very well said, OT.

Amazing how Hook is the worst coach in history for a gathering taking place against his own word, but apparently the guy who willingly and knowingly went along with players cheating/talking illicit substances is the right man for the job!!

images

I’ve read/heard a number of people suggesting Griffin should be extended for further season (ie beyond his two year contract)..

If that’s your view, I’d like to know rationale…

Mine is - at present - there is no benefit or need to do so..

Scenarios..If in season 2022, say half way through the year…as compared with now..

a) We improve significantly - (IMO) he’ll naturally be extended anyway at the time. Thus a valuable investment but the evidence is there at the time.

b) We improve steadily - (IMO) an extension is feasible, potentially a valuable investment. The evidence again is there at the time.

c) We don’t improve or decline (stay as is) - (IMO) he’s got the rest of the season to prove he’s worth extending or not. A doubtful investment for a 3rd year at this stage, or even mid-next year.

d) We decline steadily - (IMO) unless there’s been a horrific injury list, “legitimate reasons” for bad performance…. How can a 3rd year be seen as a wise investment. Especially now, but even then…

e) we decline significantly - (IMO) There’s no way in my mind he should be still around at seasons end, and possibly removed before then. A 3rd year would be a poor investment, plus a potential payout..

They are all the 5 possible scenarios covered next year. No-one knows what will actually happen…my opinions are against each with regard to the value of extensions..

The only other scenario potentially is will he get approached/pinched by another club if we didn’t sign him. It isn’t happening now, and I think that’s highly unlikely next year unless we get to scenario a) and the club would be aware of this … I doubt Griffin is the kind of guy to play silly buggers with contracts and keep the dragons in the dark etc (he’s no Ivan Cleary..). He seems an honest type, and I couldn’t imagine him chucking in an opportunity with a club he’s potentially developed from the bottom to a significantly improved club… and demonstrate - despite being sacked twice previously- he’s a quality coach who can actually take clubs further..

Anyway … my view. Why sign an extension now if only one of 5 scenarios would be seen as a valuable investment.. some doubtful, others with big risk…

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
I’ve read/heard a number of people suggesting Griffin should be extended for further season (ie beyond his two year contract)..

Scenarios..If in season 2022, say half way through the year…as compared with now..

a) We improve significantly - (IMO) he’ll naturally be extended anyway at the time. Thus a valuable investment but the evidence is there at the time.

b) We improve steadily - (IMO) an extension is feasible, potentially a valuable investment. The evidence again is there at the time.

c) We don’t improve or decline (stay as is) - (IMO) he’s got the rest of the season to prove he’s worth extending or not. A doubtful investment for a 3rd year at this stage, or even mid-next year.

d) We decline steadily - (IMO) unless there’s been a horrific injury list, “legitimate reasons” for bad performance…. How can a 3rd year be seen as a wise investment. Especially now, but even then…

e) we decline significantly - (IMO) There’s no way in my mind he should be still around at seasons end, and possibly removed before then. A 3rd year would be a poor investment, plus a potential payout..

They are all the 5 possible scenarios covered next year. No-one knows what will actually happen…my opinions are against each with regard to the value of extensions..

The only other scenario potentially is will he get approached/pinched by another club if we didn’t sign him. It isn’t happening now, and I think that’s highly unlikely next year unless we get to scenario a) and the club would be aware of this … I doubt Griffin is the kind of guy to play silly buggers with contracts and keep the dragons in the dark etc (he’s no Ivan Cleary..). He seems an honest type, and I couldn’t imagine him chucking in an opportunity with a club he’s potentially developed from the bottom to a significantly improved club… and demonstrate - despite being sacked twice previously- he’s a quality coach who can actually take clubs further..

Anyway … my view. Why sign an extension now if only one of 5 scenarios would be seen as a valuable investment.. some doubtful, others with big risk…
Bottom line is In summary it’s too early to make a call on anything yet

Trifili13

Juniors

Agree with you. No need to rush into anything. If Hook is performing well it will be reflected on the points table and I am sure he would be happy to extend and see through what he has started. I don't see him as the type of coach that would be poached by another team, even if we are going well. If things turn even more south than the last decade then see out season and save yourself a payout as season would be over anyway and start looking for a new coach mid year as players will want to know who the coach is before they sign.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I bumped into hook once on his way into the ground. Spoke to me for about 15 minutes asked about where I’m from how long I’ve been a supporter and things that were away from footy. Seemed like a real nice guy to me and caring bloke. I asked him about Gould and he said he was saddened by what happened at the time. But he holds no grudges against anyone and just wants to succeed for the dragons. He kept saying they are a good people here and hopes he could make us supporters happy. The guy was a true gentleman.

FlameThrower

Bench
So in summary - we started on fire, looked like new energy and focused Dragon’s for 4 games. Then wheels started to fall off, rule changes, suspensions, injuries, disharmony, BBQ gate , COVID bubbles and relocation, then band aid team selections and the white towel is thrown in. Most of the dramas were self inflicted too.
I had high hopes for the Dragons, but now we are spiralling out of control. Hook and Co have had everything go wrong this year, so hard to judge them. But they also purchased some very average or old players who have been underwhelming. We are at cross roads with a swag of players leaving or not being resigned so the squad will be very weakened next year in experience. I can only see more pain in yet another season of rebuilding for 2022. The BOD needs modernisation but I really feel they are also holding us back and we are way off the top 4 sides and some other Clubs rebuilding as well.

Dragon David

First Grade
So in summary - we started on fire, looked like new energy and focused Dragon’s for 4 games. Then wheels started to fall off, rule changes, suspensions, injuries, disharmony, BBQ gate , COVID bubbles and relocation, then band aid team selections and the white towel is thrown in. Most of the dramas were self inflicted too.
I had high hopes for the Dragons, but now we are spiralling out of control. Hook and Co have had everything go wrong this year, so hard to judge them. But they also purchased some very average or old players who have been underwhelming. We are at cross roads with a swag of players leaving or not being resigned so the squad will be very weakened next year in experience. I can only see more pain in yet another season of rebuilding for 2022. The BOD needs modernisation but I really feel they are also holding us back and we are way off the top 4 sides and some other Clubs rebuilding as well.
We need some big boppers all through the squad. Hardened, solid, tough, fast in the forwards and backs. Manly have many of these in their squad but it only takes for Tommy to not be playing and their attack goes downhill. Take last night. They were running all over the Sharks and looked like they would reach 50. The Sharks Toby Rudolf gets sent to the sin bin and Manly had 13 to their 12, Tommy gets a rest and they cannot score any points but in fact the Sharks score 12. Tommy is magical and we definitely need a player like him. He will be a one club player and end up being a Manly legend.

Can Hook get players like Tommy or will we continue to get anyone to make up the numbers? Molo, Su'A and Burgess will help I am sure but we need a couple more biggies, fast winger and all round fast and tough centre. Get the players you need Hook and things will be much better for you.

I bumped into hook once on his way into the ground. Spoke to me for about 15 minutes asked about where I’m from how long I’ve been a supporter and things that were away from footy. Seemed like a real nice guy to me and caring bloke. I asked him about Gould and he said he was saddened by what happened at the time. But he holds no grudges against anyone and just wants to succeed for the dragons. He kept saying they are a good people here and hopes he could make us supporters happy. The guy was a true gentleman.
Love hearing stuff like that. At the heart of it - us fans can get carried away with all that’s good, bad about how our teams are going but on the whole - most of the people we cheer, boo etc are very decent.

Griffin strikes me that way. He’s human, and to you, true gentleman. Glad to hear it.

I’ve had the fortune to encounter many. Bennett was one of the most impressive people I’ve met in my life. Jarrod Saffy was the most humble, kind, genuine players I’ve met. Fitzgibbon and Nate Myles are outstanding blokes - all three (inc saffy etc) I met on a night out in the sheaf years ago. Similarly with Steve Price (when he coached us) and Corey Pearson on a random night out in the city.

I’d love to share a beer with Griffin too. I’m sure he’d also be as genuine as they come.

Last edited:
Nice guys finish last.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We need some big boppers all through the squad. Hardened, solid, tough, fast in the forwards and backs. Manly have many of these in their squad but it only takes for Tommy to not be playing and their attack goes downhill. Take last night. They were running all over the Sharks and looked like they would reach 50. The Sharks Toby Rudolf gets sent to the sin bin and Manly had 13 to their 12, Tommy gets a rest and they cannot score any points but in fact the Sharks score 12. Tommy is magical and we definitely need a player like him. He will be a one club player and end up being a Manly legend.

Can Hook get players like Tommy or will we continue to get anyone to make up the numbers? Molo, Su'A and Burgess will help I am sure but we need a couple more biggies, fast winger and all round fast and tough centre. Get the players you need Hook and things will be much better for you.

Your last paragraphs opening sentence, is what seperates us from being a serious contender. We, atm, do not have that player, the consistand xfactor player, like TTurbo, Ponga, or a Haas or Fifita (Titans not the other one). No one of this standard will come here, as the club is in its current predicament. Our last 9 or so years, has basically secured us the title of 'whipping bitches', to be used as fodder for player agents. As @Willow said, the fish rots from the head, and our 'fish' has been rotting for a long time now and the stench is so unsavoury it can be smelt by every prospctive player.

Griffin has a hurculean task to gather what remains of this season, and not let it determine our 2022 campaign, and whilst it's not showing on the field at present, and there are a myriad of reasons for that, we must approach the rest of this year with a view to next. The deadwood, the 'problematics', the also-rans, will and have been removed, however, like the rotting fish, their stench still lingers within the group.
As for our xfactor, well it's plainly obvious, thst until we completly refurbish and renovate from top to bottom, we have to rely on home grown talent, to which we do have a few. Their key is the proper development of thrse players into xfactors. Now, is Hook the right person for that, or is there another who can successfully show a track record of this to take his place?

blacksafake

First Grade
A bit premature for this post, IMO.
Give the bloke some time. People comparing our start & fade to previous years & lumping Hook into the same boat as he who shall remain nameless, let me remind you of our disruptions since round 10.
Suspensions, injuries to important players which we can’t afford even to our juniors,bbq gate as well as personnel changes which we’ve been crying out for.
Hook at least deserves seeing out his contract at minimum.

Latest posts