What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
IF we make the grand final, then we will be in a 2 horse race...
It is always a two horse race in the GF.

Suggesting it is a two horse race early season, mid season or now is all rather silly.

Franklin and Smug have put it out there it ours to lose and that is so disingenuous and disrespectful to what we have achieved as a club.

We made the GF last season, a tremendous achievement. Beaten by a better team on the night.

We have done amazingly well in my opinion to back up our 2020 success by putting ourselves in a position to make the top four. Achievement in itself. This past month has been tough and injuries are now really putting our season at risk. and there are unknown times ahead particularly given Nathan’s fitness.

I think we have had a great season thus far, things have now gone a little pear shaped and it is going to be tough for us in the run in.

Kilkenny

Coach
Souths are the 3rd best side and the top 2 put 50 on them. This year us and Melbourne are so far ahead, just facts
Means nothing.

The Dubbo win is ancient history.

If We were to play them tomorrow, frankly there is zero chance of such a big win and currently without Nathan they would be favourites.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Means nothing.

The Dubbo win is ancient history.

If We were to play them tomorrow, frankly there is zero chance of such a big win and currently without Nathan they would be favourites.
Tomorrow they might win but add Fish and Yeo and they simply don't have the pack to go with us

Original Name

Juniors
Seriously, if you want to go out of your way to highlight a deficiency you could find evidence of deficiencies in more players than Tyrone May.

The whole scenario around our season just highlights in my opinion the importance to our side of Nathan Cleary. That shouldn’t surprise anyone other than Franklin.
It's not a execution error I'd be fine with that. It's just a lack of effort to make solid contact on players. The game is won lost at the ruck and May doesn't try hard (consistently) to win the ruck with or without the ball.

He's not solid in defense on his own. As a system defender with someone hitting high as he tackles low and with the other team tired because he's off the bench he's reasonably solid. On his own he's not.

Kenny's somebody with a not to great tackling technique (by the standard of hookers) that tries hard and you can cop that.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I think Tyrone May is a lot better player than you suggest. He is very solid defensively both in terms of the number of tackles he makes and his tackle efficiency. Since the injury to Nathan the half back role was thrust upon him and for the most part I think he has just done the job asked of him by the coach. Not sure what we expect of him sometimes, other than I think some expect to much.

Lots of unrealistic expectations on here you are spot on here

Crashtest

Juniors
No one expected anything of May. Most know he's not suited to the role and should never have been picked
We have won the last 4 in a row though, 2 of them against top 5 teams. Won 4 of the last 6.

So with May at 7, it was a good result given the number of players we had out across those games.

The_Frog

First Grade
We will make the finals but I think we will be knocked out first weekend, Calculate the numbers.
To go out first week you have to finish 5th to 8th. Even if we lost every game (and we've got 2 easy games of the 5) two of the following would need to happen:

*Parra win 4 of their 5. They've got Rabbitohs, Manly, Storm and us.
*Roosters win 4 of their 5. They've got us, Rabbitohs and Raiders.
*Manly win every game. They've got Storm, Parra and Raiders. Parra play Manly so one of them will drop that match, and neither will be able to beat the Storm, you'd have to think, so both Parra and Roosters would have to beat the Rabbitohs. Far too many weird results need to align, which is why betting agencies don't even give a price on Penrith making the top 4. Souths are $1.01.

The other possibility is that we blow our substantial for and against advantage. 116 vs Parra, 159 vs Roosters, 136 vs Manly.

Even if we did finish 5th we'd get Titans, Knights, Sharks or Raiders. I suppose if we can't beat Dragons or Tigers we won't beat any of them either.

What is most likely by far is that we finish 2nd or 3rd and play the Rabbitohs in the first week of the finals, hopefully back to full strength.

Last edited:

snickers007

Juniors
Full strength they have lost only 2 games in 2 years.

The full strength argument doesn't hold up because very few teams are ever full strength when it matters.

We've had a dream run of injuries for 2020 up until Origin 2 this year, but it's not sustainable.
When you combine the injuries, and the lack of lower grade games over the last 2 years, our depth is not what it should be, and I genuinely reckon it's 2021 or bust.

Our entire roster management is reliant upon developing players, and we can't do that without Flegg and Cup being played.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
The full strength argument doesn't hold up because very few teams are ever full strength when it matters.

We've had a dream run of injuries for 2020 up until Origin 2 this year, but it's not sustainable.
When you combine the injuries, and the lack of lower grade games over the last 2 years, our depth is not what it should be, and I genuinely reckon it's 2021 or bust.

Our entire roster management is reliant upon developing players, and we can't do that without Flegg and Cup being played.
Nathan is the best player in the comp. Reminds me of Andrew at the Knights and Jonathan at the Cowboys, can't beat the top teams without them. That's the team we are. But the storm have players who can back up but be in 17 in other clubs.

martielang

Bench
It's all good and well saying that but you also need someone of similar quality to replace him... who?

We've lost Capewell next season and Martin looks like he'll end up in the middle, I think we need to attempt to keep him even if we have to pay slightly over what we want to.

Latest posts