What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 v Storm

WestyLife

First Grade
I’m not a victim, your abusive rubbish, doesn’t concern me in the slightest It just says a lot about the sort of person you are.

You took me to task for simply liking comments. Everyone has their thing here no one is perfect.

betcats

Referee
Liking comments does seem to be a big deal for you.

Hahah yep, anyone who has problem with someone liking comments he doesnt like has got issues.

I’m not a victim, your abusive rubbish, doesn’t concern me in the slightest It just says a lot about the sort of person you are.

You potray yourself as one often when you have nothing else left. IMO having a go at someone for their language when you swear yourself says a lot about you Kilkenny.

betcats

Referee
Ennis is a goose.

He is saying what a lot of us have been saying about Dyaln. He is fine when we are at or near full strength but he doesnt have the ability to create much when we are down players and we need him to do more.

Its great he is safe defensively and his effort is second to none but FB is an important attacking position as well and he lacks the attacking nous to be effective when he isnt spoon fed quality chances.

The Realist

Juniors

Dude for someone who doesn't care in the 'slightest', you get awfully worked up by people liking posts that you don't like 🤣

Girds89

Bench
Cup and Flegg(u20s), even caught a couple sg ball games. Plenty of those games are streamed via the internet. if you want to check my post history go for it, you will see me talking about Staines, Laurie, Burton in particular well before they touched first grade(out of our recent young prospects). FTR I was talking about Tago this year before he got a first grade contract when he was not on anyones(here) radar, you can check that too.

I disagree with it being fanciful i think that is a f**king ridiculous statement, you are just down talking the kid cause you love Edwards and we moved on Mansour for staines so you have been down talking staines all season long. He is very good passer of the ball and he has good vision. He might not have the slight of hand of a true ball player but he is miles ahead of Edwards already passing the ball.

I know Kilkenny. Can confirm he actually attended plenty of matts, ball, flegg and cup games. Used to regularly go and watch the 16s and 18s. Not just streamed them by the internet ocassionally.

Everyone was talking about burton laurie and staines long before they touched fg.

Literally no one has talked staines down.. people have called a spade a spade.. hes been average all year. Edwards has had games where he hasnt been at his best this year and been poor. Hes also had games that were brilliant and produced a cieling much higher than anything weve seen from critta or staines.

You say hes milesahead of edwards? Based on what? Cause hes barely played much cup due to covid.

So what you saw him throw a few good passes in flegg a few years ago? Playing against kids where the defence is poor and 20s used to rack up cricket scores?

He didnt play that ball player role in his game at fb this year and he hasnt in the lower grades.

Yet youre convinced hes already better than dyl. And you talked up how many mistakes dyl makes because you actually had no idea how safe he is cause you like others love to shit talk.

I hope charlie becomes as great as some on here think he can be..i really do. Im sure kilkenny really does!

Girds89

Bench
Mick Ennis on Edwards being exposed:

It left Michael Ennis wondering whether now was time to give Crichton, who will miss this week’s clash with the Roosters with suspension, a shot at fullback ahead of Dylan Edwards, in order to help Luai test the opposition.

“Dylan Edwards ran for over 100m but they missed the punch to start their sets,” Ennis told the Big League Wrap.

“Charlie Staines had just four runs and made no inroads. The concern for their creativity is when you move Jarome Luai, who’s their X-Factor, brilliance and unpredictability into the No. 7 jersey, he’s left feeling like he has to steer the side around.

“He lost that spark. When you’ve got Nathan and Isaah Yeo to control the opposition defence like they do, you can have Dylan Edwards as that effort player.

“But when you don’t have Nathan and Yeo and Luai needed more help. I felt like Dylan Edwards in among the loss of Yeo and Nathan, I think he’s been exposed for his lack of creativity.

“I won’t ever question his effort but he lacks creativity and I think if Nathan continues to be out then I wouldn’t mind Stephen Crichton take up that Joseph Manu role and move into fullback.

“He’s so dangerous and he brings unpredictability.”

The same critta that people including yourself said needed to go back to centre as soon as dyl was back.

The sane critta that most on here have said he hasnt earned his pay check enough this year?

Critta no doubt has potential at fb. Definitley 100% agree with that. But lets not act like his latrell and a freak game breaker. Ennis literally was praising edwards earlier in the year and how important he is. He says shit one week and the opposite the next.

Need to take anything that comes put of all their mouths with a grain of salt as they are the media. There to generate hype. Only bloke worth listening to on fox is Flanno who has brilliant insight. I also think cronk is the level head and had to calm ennis and braith down from the stupod shit they come out with.

But yes critta could work at fb. But not this year. His fitness was heavily underdone and not ready to play fb. He said so himself in interviews..

So moving him weakens centre and you might get a bit more in attack at fb but less in defense. So its a catch 22. Especially wheb at full strength we dont need him in attack.

WestyLife

First Grade
I know Kilkenny. Can confirm he actually attended plenty of matts, ball, flegg and cup games. Used to regularly go and watch the 16s and 18s. Not just streamed them by the internet ocassionally.

Everyone was talking about burton laurie and staines long before they touched fg.

Literally no one has talked staines down.. people have called a spade a spade.. hes been average all year. Edwards has had games where he hasnt been at his best this year and been poor. Hes also had games that were brilliant and produced a cieling much higher than anything weve seen from critta or staines.

You say hes milesahead of edwards? Based on what? Cause hes barely played much cup due to covid.

So what you saw him throw a few good passes in flegg a few years ago? Playing against kids where the defence is poor and 20s used to rack up cricket scores?

He didnt play that ball player role in his game at fb this year and he hasnt in the lower grades.

Yet youre convinced hes already better than dyl. And you talked up how many mistakes dyl makes because you actually had no idea how safe he is cause you like others love to shit talk.

I hope charlie becomes as great as some on here think he can be..i really do. Im sure kilkenny really does!

I'm not convinced you aren't Kilkenny honestly.

Staines hasn't had a bad year by any means. Defensively he's been particularly good in decision making and tackling bigger wingers and second rowers. He has multiple tries many other wingers miss because he has extra pace and instincts (<this we need to see more of to be fair but it's his first season after hamstring injuries)

Also watching watching his Eels game at fullback and he looked better than Edwards vs storm, again context storm are better than Eels and the way he zips around in attack kind if supports my view we should alternate him and Edwards like Roosters with Minichello and RTS.

Seriously can't believe we are gatekeeping who has rights to talk about the juniors. Franklin and Betcats have been my go to for years on it.

betcats

Referee

No one ever said Kilkenny didnt go to watch junior games I dont give two shits if he did or not his opinions are still rubbish to me. The merkin tried to tell me earlier this year that Latrell Mitchell and Tommy Turbo are not ball players, he has NFI as far as I am concerned.

Girds89

Bench
No one ever said Kilkenny didnt go to watch junior games I dont give two shits if he did or not his opinions are still rubbish to me. The merkin tried to tell me earlier this year that Latrell Mitchell and Tommy Turbo are not ball players, he has NFI as far as I am concerned.
Depends what you classify as a ball player...

Do turbo or latell have the ball playing skills of moylan or hynes or laurie?

Definitley not. Can they read the game better than other fbs and make good passes. Yep! But moylan laurie hynes are actual ball players. They read the game beautifully.

betcats

Referee
Depends what you classify as a ball player...

Definitley not. Can they read the game better than other fbs and make good passes. Yep! But moylan laurie hynes are actual ball players. They read the game beautifully.

Latrell is the best ball player in the comp and Turbo is not far off it. I disagree completely with what you have said and I clearly recall Kilkenny describing them as just good athletic ball runners as if good ball runners and good ball players are mutually exclusive.

Im over this mate, we dont agree re Staines and Edwards and we probably never will. No point going around in circles.

The Realist

Juniors
Hahaha that 40m field goal was the definition of clutch.

Youve lost the plot. We were a try away from winning it last year and when we were fit this year we were unstoppable and went on the biggest streak in our history. Was he still crap than?

One clutch play doesn't make him a clutch player.

Edwards was good last year (without being great) and started the year great. It looked like he had finally started to get his passing game going through that period.

Been ordinary since. I also remember him bombing a try in the GF when he couldn't perform a simple draw and pass inserting himself into the line at centre.

Upon reflection it seems as though he is only capable of good passes in set plays - and only if the set play goes exactly as rehearsed. Other fullbacks seem to be able to adjust on the fly if a set play isn't smooth - and the best ones have great instinct and put themselves in great positions and can just ad lib play and create something out of nothing. Edwards seemingly can't do either.

He is a Robotic player who fills a role if everybody else is in great form/uninjured. This season, and in particular this game (along with the Tigers game) has exposed him for the limited player he is. If we want to have a Dynasty type squad - we have to look past Edwards as our FB in the medium term.

I've said this at least 1/2 a dozen times before - but we missed a huge trick in not offering Burton the FB slot. I think this has much to do with Ivan being a conservative 'safety first' coach as well as being too sentimental with his charges (T.May comes to mind).

Burton at FB would instantly catapult us into having the deadliest spine. Burton is daylights ahead in play making. He runs better lines, he has great instinct as well. None of this is really 'teachable'. Edwards would obviously be better at positioning and organising - but that is all teachable and comes with experience.

Again I think that comes down to coaching. Bellamy can insert multiple (talented) rookies into fullback and they do well because he can coach them into doing the basics right and fit them into his system.

Ivan is generally afraid to insert a rookie into fullback (unless absolutely forced) and prefers what he is familiar with because he is unable to coach the basics well enough to 'take a chance' and/or his systems don't allow for it. Either way that is on him. I find that quite odd considering that Fullback was his position, though it plays quite differently now compared to in his day.

Critta and staines go mia..
Burton has been hot and cold of late.
Luai hasnt stepped up since origin
Leota is good one game avg next (seasoned player)
Capes has been quiet in attack last two months.. ( seasoned player)
Kiks tackling is embarrasing. Shirt grabs ( seasoned player)
Spencer is rocks or diamonds
May has been poor. Seasoned player.

We are 'picking' on Edwards because he is a spine player and significantly more experienced than several others on that list. Everyone here knows that compared to last year;

Kikau is well down on form
Critta has been very quiet (we are not sure whether it is form, 2nd year syndrome or coaching)
Capes has been phoning it in a little.
May isn't what he was last year
Leota has failed to 'kick on'
Burton is inconsistent (even during a match)
Spencers development has stalled, maybe even gone backward a little.

Chuck in Naden clearly not being what he was for us last year.

The Only players to improve have been Cleary and Yeo.
Sorenson has also been a positive inclusion.
Hop'good and Huth have 'done a job'.

What is most worrying for us really is a recent form treadline as a squad. Most of our players are trending down in form at this back end from our mid season peak against the Bunnies. IMO the most emblematic of that are Edwards and Kikau who you'd expect to 'step up'.

As a squad we are still #2 on the table but in form we are probably #4 or #5.

Sorry for the long Rant.

betcats

Referee
One clutch play doesn't make him a clutch player.

Edwards was good last year (without being great) and started the year great. It looked like he had finally started to get his passing game going through that period.

Been ordinary since. I also remember him bombing a try in the GF when he couldn't perform a simple draw and pass inserting himself into the line at centre.

Upon reflection it seems as though he is only capable of good passes in set plays - and only if the set play goes exactly as rehearsed. Other fullbacks seem to be able to adjust on the fly if a set play isn't smooth - and the best ones have great instinct and put themselves in great positions and can just ad lib play and create something out of nothing. Edwards seemingly can't do either.

He is a Robotic player who fills a role if everybody else is in great form/uninjured. This season, and in particular this game (along with the Tigers game) has exposed him for the limited player he is. If we want to have a Dynasty type squad - we have to look past Edwards as our FB in the medium term.

I've said this at least 1/2 a dozen times before - but we missed a huge trick in not offering Burton the FB slot. I think this has much to do with Ivan being a conservative 'safety first' coach as well as being too sentimental with his charges (T.May comes to mind).

Burton at FB would instantly catapult us into having the deadliest spine. Burton is daylights ahead in play making. He runs better lines, he has great instinct as well. None of this is really 'teachable'. Edwards would obviously be better at positioning and organising - but that is all teachable and comes with experience.

Again I think that comes down to coaching. Bellamy can insert multiple (talented) rookies into fullback and they do well because he can coach them into doing the basics right and fit them into his system.

Ivan is generally afraid to insert a rookie into fullback (unless absolutely forced) and prefers what he is familiar with because he is unable to coach the basics well enough to 'take a chance' and/or his systems don't allow for it. Either way that is on him. I find that quite odd considering that Fullback was his position, though it plays quite differently now compared to in his day.

We are 'picking' on Edwards because he is a spine player and significantly more experienced than several others on that list. Everyone here knows that compared to last year;

Kikau is well down on form
Critta has been very quiet (we are not sure whether it is form, 2nd year syndrome or coaching)
Capes has been phoning it in a little.
May isn't what he was last year
Leota has failed to 'kick on'
Burton is inconsistent (even during a match)
Spencers development has stalled, maybe even gone backward a little.

Chuck in Naden clearly not being what he was for us last year.

The Only players to improve have been Cleary and Yeo.
Sorenson has also been a positive inclusion.
Hop'good and Huth have 'done a job'.

What is most worrying for us really is a recent form treadline as a squad. Most of our players are trending down in form at this back end from our mid season peak against the Bunnies. IMO the most emblematic of that are Edwards and Kikau who you'd expect to 'step up'.

As a squad we are still #2 on the table but in form we are probably #4 or #5.

Sorry for the long Rant.

I would say Fish and To'o have been among our biggest improvers(again), Burton at centre has been excellent consistently, his halves form has been patchy. But agree with the rest for the most part besides maybe Critta. He has quiet games but he has not had many bad ones imo and his defence has improved massively, he is a very good defensive centre this season.

DinkyDi

Juniors
I would say Fish and To'o have been among our biggest improvers(again), Burton at centre has been excellent consistently, his halves form has been patchy. But agree with the rest for the most part besides maybe Critta. He has quiet games but he has not had many bad ones imo and his defence has improved massively, he is a very good defensive centre this season.
Given that he hasn't played exclusively in the halves, for God knows how long, that is understandable.

Girds89

Bench
Latrell is the best ball player in the comp and Turbo is not far off it. I disagree completely with what you have said and I clearly recall Kilkenny describing them as just good athletic ball runners as if good ball runners and good ball players are mutually exclusive.

Im over this mate, we dont agree re Staines and Edwards and we probably never will. No point going around in circles.
No hes not haha. Cmon mate.. hynes is a freak ball player. Hes been signed to play in the halfs at cronulla thats how good he is. Daine laurie has all the skills of a half.

Latrell is predominatley are runner. He is at his best when hes looking to run over people. Passes better left to right and not as strong the other way. But can put a person through a gap or give a good cut out.

Critta has been very good in d. A major reason id be apprehensive about moving him as momo is crap. Tago is largely untested. Nadens d is poor and even burton has been only ok in d but good in attack.

murraymob

Coach
Lots of hostility here lately can we just have a group hug .kilkenny is buying the beers and sing out go the mighty panthers .You all know the song

The Realist

Juniors

I'd argue that Tommy does have the same level of skill and Latrell is pretty close BUT they don't need to use it as much nor rely on their ballplaying because they are freak athletes and runners. They have two stings to their bows. Moylan etc are far more one dimensional and reliant purely on skills and smarts.