What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 vs Panthers

I didn't get home until the game was finished and turned the radio off in disgust when I heard that we had over 60% of possession in the first half, but still trailed 16-6.
The Bird at full-back thing has got to stop. So has the Norman at 5/8 thing. And the McCullough thing,
Then, to top it all, I hear on ABC Radio that the signing of Moses Mbye is a done deal. What is this going to achieve, other than to stymie the careers of players like Sullivan and Amone?! We've got a few young, skillful backs coming through - what they need is a dominant forward pack to build a platform that allows them to do their stuff, not some like for like replacement of Corey Norman with another has-been-who-never-really-was sleepwalking his way through game after game.
Our recruitment and development is so far off keeping pace with other clubs it's laughable. Cody Ramsey's U20s highlights reel would take ten times as long to watch as his NRL one. Ditto Jackson Ford. Ditto Adam Clune. We are killing these guys with inept coaching and - by all accounts - archaic training.
We can all see it. Why the f*** can't the brains trust in the club see it and set it right?

Dragons4me

Juniors
Liking this Amone fella better than Sullivan
Wait till you see them playing together. Give them a few games at the top level together. Once they have the confidence to do the things they did together earlier and the confidence of having a good pack to play behind (which I believe we will have in '22) and watch them play a different style to what we've seen for years. I am that confident. Not saying we'll play GF but all things start and end with the halves and I think we're on a winner here with both.

thebigredv

First Grade
Our recruitment and development is so far off keeping pace with other clubs it's laughable.

Bingo!

This is no disrespect to the current coach, who is on a hiding to nothing, but we need another Bennett type coach as soon as is possible. We need a completely fresh regime with a coach or director of coaches who will not allow himself to be embarrassed by results and performance that mirror themselves from week to week. Someone who says ta ta to under performing recruiters and assistant coaches and sift the rotten players from the useful.

Wait till you see them playing together. Give them a few games at the top level together. Once they have the confidence to do the things they did together earlier and the confidence of having a good pack to play behind (which I believe we will have in '22) and watch them play a different style to what we've seen for years. I am that confident. Not saying we'll play GF but all things start and end with the halves and I think we're on a winner here with both.
But that will never happen, will it? Cos now we'll be subjected to the spectacle of the Mbye - Hunt halves pairing in 2023 until Amone and Sullivan go elsewhere.

Dragon David

First Grade
But that will never happen, will it? Cos now we'll be subjected to the spectacle of the Mbye - Hunt halves pairing in 2023 until Amone and Sullivan go elsewhere.
Hook mustn't think that what we already have in the juniors is any good. Show faith man. You are on a hiding to nothing now so show some balls and give the younger guys a go. Give Norman a 3 week rest and shake his hand when he hands in his locker key. Put guys in their rightful positions and for Heaven's sakes, make sure that they can catch the effin ball. That's what the pass around so it is back to learn to catch the ball school. Bird never fails to drop the ball and Rava is starting to do the same.
Bingo!

This is no disrespect to the current coach, who is on a hiding to nothing, but we need another Bennett type coach as soon as is possible. We need a completely fresh regime with a coach or director of coaches who will not allow himself to be embarrassed by results and performance that mirror themselves from week to week. Someone who says ta ta to under performing recruiters and assistant coaches and sift the rotten players from the useful.
Yep, Hook is on a hiding to nothing and there are many starting to seriously doubt his credentials. We started well and completion rate was good but as usual we faded into the proverbial sunset. Word from the coaches box down to the trainer should be to maintain focus, but most need to go to Specsavers as they suffer from blurred vision when they try and catch the ball.

SGMax

Juniors
Was it just me but the Penrith defence were offside the whole game.
Every time the dummy half passed the ball, the receiver had defenders waiting for him to catch the ball to tackle him. No wonder we had no go forward!

I finally got to see what Amone can do. Looks very good.
If Cleary doesn't get charged, Dragons should take action. Glad Hook mentioned in his post game talk. Only time I lost it and yelled at the TV.

Bird needs to go back to centre, if Beale stays he can be backup only.
Kerr is being under utilised. He has good size and mobility and a quick play the ball.
We missed Sims today.....and Vaughn.

Disappointed that Hook denied any interest or intent for Kikau.
Don't ever want to hear Ennis's voice again, a complete biased knob.

Today we were without:
our best player of 2020 - McInnes
our best player of 2021 - Hunt
our best 2nd rower - Sims
our best prop - Vaughn
Hope Burgess, Molo and Sua make a difference next year.

thebigredv

First Grade
Funny how people say the coach isn’t up to it yet he doesn’t need to teach them to hold the ball? Penrith scored something like 3 tries off our own mistakes… if we hold the ball and don’t give them field position it’ll be a much closer game, every week we gift points with terrible ball handling

You may disagree but if the coach drops a player back to reggies for continually failing proper ball security then you are taking affirming action - "this won't be tolerated. You drop the ball then you work doubly hard to make them drop the ball". Yes, even if it is a player like Bird, sends a clear message. Doesn't happen as far as I can see. Even under Mary, Rava had to go back and work on his hands. He came back far superior although tonight he was back to some his worst in the air.

denis preston

First Grade
Funny how people say the coach isn’t up to it yet he doesn’t need to teach them to hold the ball? Penrith scored something like 3 tries off our own mistakes… if we hold the ball and don’t give them field position it’ll be a much closer game, every week we gift points with terrible ball handling
Yes , the problem is he cant just sack the usual offenders and tell them to learn to catch in the ressies.

denis preston

First Grade
Best observation of the night from Ennis was why Clune & Norman were not running hard at the line and instead they were just holding back .Also Voss noted Norman "jogged "to the Penrith defence . They were there live and they were good questions. I like Hook but surely Norman has played his last game for us and Clune has his passport marked for next season's reserve grade. If he picks Norman again somebody, anybody in the media has to front him and ask why, why , why , !! The assistant coaches have to earn their money by insisting on it.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Best observation of the night from Ennis was why Clune & Norman were not running hard at the line and instead they were just holding back .Also Voss noted Norman "jogged "to the Penrith defence . They were there live and they were good questions. I like Hook but surely Norman has played his last game for us and Clune has his passport marked for next season's reserve grade. If he picks Norman again somebody, anybody in the media has to front him and ask why, why , why , !! The assistant coaches have to earn their money by insisting on it.
Norman has a good kicking game but he just has no speed, power or footwork to trouble defence. Getting to the 5th and putting up a cross field kick isn’t going to get it done vs good sides. Halves have to be zippy unless they are extremely skilled. His running game needs to be a threat to attract the defenders needed to open up space on the outside. He doesn’t have it anymore, he’s had plenty of time to attract a new contract and try to get us to the finals, it’s just not happening.

Latest posts