What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Mbye

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Welcome aboard Moses and Good Luck!

The thing that worries me is that for Wests Tigers, he wasn't their first choice fullback (Laurie is), 5/8 (Douehi is), halfback (Brooks is), or hooker (Liddle is). For any of those positions he clearly wasn't the best in a pretty average club roster. So where does he play for the Dragons? Not convinced he is what we need to get us further up the ladder.

TruSaint

Referee
Welcome aboard Moses and Good Luck!

The thing that worries me is that for Wests Tigers, he wasn't their first choice fullback (Laurie is), 5/8 (Douehi is), halfback (Brooks is), or hooker (Liddle is). For any of those positions he clearly wasn't the best in a pretty average club roster. So where does he play for the Dragons? Not convinced he is what we need to get us further up the ladder.

I am a fan. However you are right. His versatility works both ways for him.
I hope he can find a new desire for the game. Like I posted days ago, this signing makes sense to me.

Maddragon99

Juniors
In principle I’m ok with Mbye coming I’m sure the Tigers are tipping in some of his salary, I think he could be a handy player.

What I’m concerned about is what promises he’s been made. If Griffin has promised him being a position player rather than a number 14 utility then it’ll be Norman & Beale all over again. A average player in a key position holding back the kids. I don’t trust Griffin.

randomdragon

Juniors
Moses Mbye has revealed his reasons for leaving the Wests Tigers, saying he began to feel like a burden at the club.

On the day he was officially granted a release from the final year of his $850,000 deal, to link with St George Illawarra on a two-year contract from next season, the former skipper spoke about a tumultuous three-year period at the Tigers.

"You can't help but hear what people say about you," Mbye told the Herald.

“People put me into this category and say ‘he’s not worth this’ or ‘he’s a waste of money’. I didn’t come here to be a burden on the club. But that’s how it started to feel. I felt like the longer it went on without results, I was becoming a hinderance on what Madge [coach Michael Maguire] was trying to build. If he is going to be judged on the team’s performances, he deserves the chance to build a roster with players he wants to sign.

"I didn't want to get in the way of that and me leaving gives the club more money to go out and recruit. I came to the Tigers in the hope of being part of the team that changed the fortunes of the club. I would have loved nothing more than to play my part in doing so, but it hasn't worked out that way."

Mbye’s lucrative deal with the Tigers has put his performances in the spotlight. Injuries and constant positional shifts have limited his ability to play at a high level since joining the club from the Bulldogs, with the 28-year-old admitting he hasn’t lived up to the price tag.

“At first you try and put the noise to the side, but after a while I started to realise that it is both in mine and the club’s best interest for us to part ways,” Mbye said.

“It’s why I asked the club for permission to look around for next year. Me and my family are very fortunate to be in the situation we are financially. I can’t thank the club enough for that. But with that price tag comes expectation, and for whatever reason it wasn’t working out.

“I’m not too proud to admit that the club hasn’t got value for money out of me. The reality is the club can’t continue to disappoint the fans, and me leaving helps them start to change that. It gives me an opportunity at a fresh start, which is what I think is best for my footy. I am proud to have played for the Wests Tigers.”

The Tigers, who will pay just over 50 per cent of Mbye’s salary next year, have been heavily scrutinised the past couple of years.

Pressure has fallen squarely on Maguire, with the coach feeling the heat after several big-name misses in the recruitment market. But Mbye said there was plenty to like about what the Tigers are building and urged fans to be patient.

“Everyone talks about the club’s recruitment and focuses on the big players that we’ve missed, but you have to look beneath that. It’s hard to ask fans to be patient given how long they have been waiting to play finals footy, but there are things happening in the background that Madge and Adam Hartigan []general manager] are doing that will set this club up for long-term success.

“Not enough is said about what Hartigan is doing in the background to help this team. I didn’t appreciate that until this trip, I’ve seen first hand how much he does for the team. He’s also been fantastic for me and all the families up here. The club is in good hands with him in his role.

“Adam Doueihi is a future captain of this club. He and Alex Twal are two players they can build the club around. Stefano [Utoikamanu] and Daine Laurie have been outstanding additions. There are definitely things to like, but it may not translate to success overnight. I think fans need to be OK with that, otherwise the club will be pressured into repeating the same mistakes.

“There’s no doubt Madge has had his challenges, and I’d be lying if I said that frustrations haven’t boiled over. But his heart is in the right place. He wants success for the Tigers as much as anyone. People will always have differing views on what is right and wrong, but he believes what he is doing is right. The club has signed him for another couple of years because they believe what he is doing is right.”

The Dragons approached Mbye about making the switch mid-season but instead he will join the club next year alongside recruits Jaydn Su’A, Francis Molo and George Burgess. He said he was open to playing multiple positions at the Dragons.

“During my time at the Bulldogs we had some great clashes with the Dragons and I got to see first hand the passion of their fans. I remember telling myself ‘that’s a club I’d love to play for’,” Mbye said.

“I live in Kogarah Bay in the heart of the St George area. My neighbours are Dragons fans. Even my daughter is a Dragons supporter, born in St George Hospital. Like the Tigers, the Dragons brand is one of the biggest in Australian sport. It’s a proud club that expects success. I’m excited to try and be part of their future.

“When I met Anthony Griffin, I became excited to be part of their journey to find that success. I’ve learnt some valuable lessons at the Tigers that I will take with me, and hopefully there are good times ahead in the red V. There’s a lot to like about their roster, some good signings next year and some quality young kids.

"I don’t know what position I am going to play. I know I’m going over there to be their Mr-Fix-It. I’m comfortable with that. In the modern game it’s a significant position having someone in your 17 that can cover three or four positions. That will be me at the Dragons next year."

Great article, seems like a vey humble man.

TruSaint

Referee
Moses Mbye has revealed his reasons for leaving the Wests Tigers, saying he began to feel like a burden at the club.

On the day he was officially granted a release from the final year of his $850,000 deal, to link with St George Illawarra on a two-year contract from next season, the former skipper spoke about a tumultuous three-year period at the Tigers.

"You can't help but hear what people say about you," Mbye told the Herald.

“People put me into this category and say ‘he’s not worth this’ or ‘he’s a waste of money’. I didn’t come here to be a burden on the club. But that’s how it started to feel. I felt like the longer it went on without results, I was becoming a hinderance on what Madge [coach Michael Maguire] was trying to build. If he is going to be judged on the team’s performances, he deserves the chance to build a roster with players he wants to sign.

"I didn't want to get in the way of that and me leaving gives the club more money to go out and recruit. I came to the Tigers in the hope of being part of the team that changed the fortunes of the club. I would have loved nothing more than to play my part in doing so, but it hasn't worked out that way."

Mbye’s lucrative deal with the Tigers has put his performances in the spotlight. Injuries and constant positional shifts have limited his ability to play at a high level since joining the club from the Bulldogs, with the 28-year-old admitting he hasn’t lived up to the price tag.

“At first you try and put the noise to the side, but after a while I started to realise that it is both in mine and the club’s best interest for us to part ways,” Mbye said.

“It’s why I asked the club for permission to look around for next year. Me and my family are very fortunate to be in the situation we are financially. I can’t thank the club enough for that. But with that price tag comes expectation, and for whatever reason it wasn’t working out.

“I’m not too proud to admit that the club hasn’t got value for money out of me. The reality is the club can’t continue to disappoint the fans, and me leaving helps them start to change that. It gives me an opportunity at a fresh start, which is what I think is best for my footy. I am proud to have played for the Wests Tigers.”

The Tigers, who will pay just over 50 per cent of Mbye’s salary next year, have been heavily scrutinised the past couple of years.

Pressure has fallen squarely on Maguire, with the coach feeling the heat after several big-name misses in the recruitment market. But Mbye said there was plenty to like about what the Tigers are building and urged fans to be patient.

“Everyone talks about the club’s recruitment and focuses on the big players that we’ve missed, but you have to look beneath that. It’s hard to ask fans to be patient given how long they have been waiting to play finals footy, but there are things happening in the background that Madge and Adam Hartigan []general manager] are doing that will set this club up for long-term success.

“Not enough is said about what Hartigan is doing in the background to help this team. I didn’t appreciate that until this trip, I’ve seen first hand how much he does for the team. He’s also been fantastic for me and all the families up here. The club is in good hands with him in his role.

“Adam Doueihi is a future captain of this club. He and Alex Twal are two players they can build the club around. Stefano [Utoikamanu] and Daine Laurie have been outstanding additions. There are definitely things to like, but it may not translate to success overnight. I think fans need to be OK with that, otherwise the club will be pressured into repeating the same mistakes.

“There’s no doubt Madge has had his challenges, and I’d be lying if I said that frustrations haven’t boiled over. But his heart is in the right place. He wants success for the Tigers as much as anyone. People will always have differing views on what is right and wrong, but he believes what he is doing is right. The club has signed him for another couple of years because they believe what he is doing is right.”

The Dragons approached Mbye about making the switch mid-season but instead he will join the club next year alongside recruits Jaydn Su’A, Francis Molo and George Burgess. He said he was open to playing multiple positions at the Dragons.

“During my time at the Bulldogs we had some great clashes with the Dragons and I got to see first hand the passion of their fans. I remember telling myself ‘that’s a club I’d love to play for’,” Mbye said.

“I live in Kogarah Bay in the heart of the St George area. My neighbours are Dragons fans. Even my daughter is a Dragons supporter, born in St George Hospital. Like the Tigers, the Dragons brand is one of the biggest in Australian sport. It’s a proud club that expects success. I’m excited to try and be part of their future.

“When I met Anthony Griffin, I became excited to be part of their journey to find that success. I’ve learnt some valuable lessons at the Tigers that I will take with me, and hopefully there are good times ahead in the red V. There’s a lot to like about their roster, some good signings next year and some quality young kids.

"I don’t know what position I am going to play. I know I’m going over there to be their Mr-Fix-It. I’m comfortable with that. In the modern game it’s a significant position having someone in your 17 that can cover three or four positions. That will be me at the Dragons next year."

Great article, seems like a vey humble man.

Thanks for that.

Excellent insight.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I am hoping Mbye is a short term signing.

He could play anywhere from Full back to Hooker but I think he is most likely to play left centre.

Moses could complete for any number of first grade positions:

5/8
Full back
Left Centre

I don’t see him as a hooker.

We need to either sign or promote a first rate hooker asap as Macca is running on old legs and is largely responsible for our predictable attack. Rarely darts as he is too slow. Hence defences are virtually never in 2 minds.
McCullough gets a lot of stick on here which I think is unfair. He’s our back up Captain & was one of few that didn’t attend the BBQ which shows a lot of character to me. Also he leads the comp in tackles made 1010 with a insane tackle efficiency of 97%. Take some of those tackles out & we’d be conceding even more points.

TruSaint

Referee
McCullough gets a lot of stick on here which I think is unfair. He’s our back up Captain & was one of few that didn’t attend the BBQ which shows a lot of character to me. Also he leads the comp in tackles made 1010 with a insane tackle efficiency of 97%. Take some of those tackles out & we’d be conceding even more points.

Where was that outrage with Cam Mac ?
He led the tackle counts every fricken week, was Club Captain, and had more to offer than AM.
Please.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
H
Hes fine and will do the job until we unearth a gem, or produce someone. He will be invaluable in training up the next generation which has to be our strategy going forward.

TruSaint

Referee
I loved Cam, he would have made such a difference this year for us. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be and turned out a masterstroke to buy Macca.

Yes mate.

Fair enough. My point ( this being the Mbye thread ), is that people lauded the signing of a 30 plus year old, and find Mbye at 28 to be not worthy.

In my opinion, AM and McGuire were rash signings and offer very little.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
My thoughts having watched him play multiple positions at my club for the past 3 and half years, 9 has been comfortably his worst position. He never runs, doesnt engage markers, doesnt kick, just simply shovels the ball on.

For me I would say he has performed best for us in the following order:

Centre
Fullback
5/8
Hooker

The way he plays probably best suits fullback. He has a real good pass, excellant support play and is quick when in a bit of space. However he is horrenddous under the high ball and positioning at the back is poor. Somehow his frontline defence when playing centre,5/8, hooker is great but terrible when at fullback.

He's not related to Matt Dufty is he ?

Just trying to figure out the Mbye turn-over figures for interest.

Reports filtering through that you are paying him less than us, say 370.

So our reported 390 plus 370 takes him to about $760k.

So he was at about $850k minus $760k means a personal bath from him of about $90k.

So based on his assessment, he’s worth $760 which I don’t think is right but to be fair to him, not too many players “donate” almost $2k a week to bring about a lasting peace. For him as well, he’s been in a rut and Hook might be able to make more of him. He obviously hasn’t excelled with Madge etc. that happens.

Us Tigers have lost big on the one hand, paying $390 for a player we don’t have but we can use the $460 balance saved on a good sub-marquee factory. Stefano and Laurie are on beer money. They may need upgrades for loyalty. Ironically, this 460k is in the range for what I think he actually is worth. I think he was signed for so much in good faith but he didn’t ignite ( and he’s not the only one- in fact he’s played a lot better than most).

So that’s my general take. I think you got him for unders in a way, but only because he fell on his sword. But that’s quite a nice way to arrive at a club instead of the usual push and shove.

You live and learn!

Last edited:

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Just trying to figure out the Mbye turn-over figures for interest.

Reports filtering through that you are paying him less than us, say 370.

So our reported 390 plus 370 takes him to about $760k.

So he was at about $850k minus $760k means a personal bath from him of about $90k.

So based on his assessment, he’s worth $760 which I don’t think is right but to be fair to him, not too many players “donate” almost $2k a week to bring about a lasting peace. For him as well, he’s been in a rut and Hook might be able to make more of him. He obviously hasn’t excelled with Madge etc. that happens.

Us Tigers have lost big on the one hand, paying $390 for a player we don’t have but we can use the $460 balance saved on a good sub-marquee factory. Stefano and Laurie are on beer money. They may need upgrades for loyalty. Ironically, this 460k is in the range for what I think he actually is worth. I think he was signed for so much in good faith but he didn’t ignite ( and he’s not the only one- in fact he’s played a lot better than most).

So that’s my general take. I think you got him for unders in a way, but only because he fell on his sword. But that’s quite a nice way to arrive at a club instead of the usual push and shove.

You live and learn!

Hardly seems fair after we sent you Russell Packer.

thebigredv

First Grade

Reads like he is a quality person. I’m looking forward to him joining us think he will be a good role model.

Mate, we need good people at this club but I reckon we need good players more.

He's not a player that has tickets on himself which I like.

Let's hope the signings that come after him are players that lift us to a new level of competitiveness because we aren't getting out of this mess with utility players alone.

Latest posts