What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 - Roosters vs Rabbitohs: Friday 27th August 7:55pm @Suncorp Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Time to dump that game against Penrith and move on to the next week. It's another big one to move on to in 24, another absolute cracker, another bumper clash. We go up against our old foe, the arch rivals, the Roosters. I think i speak for everyone when I say I love playing Easts. I always get super fired up and I really enjoy the build up during the week as both sides throw little barbs at eachother. It's always a game you circle on the calandar and really look forward to. And why wouldn't you look forward to it? It's the biggest rivalry in the game! 113 year of hate, of spite, of drama, of jealousy, of fiece battles; 113 years of the most intense rivalry. I say it everytime when I talk about the Roosters, hate is a very strong word, however, when talking about the Roosters, it is simply not strong enough.

So there's not only the rivalry that make this a bumper clash but there's also the fact that this is a top four clash. The Roosters have found their way to fourth and I'm sure they won't want to lose that spot to Manly. As much I despise these wankers, you do have to respect what they've done this year. A horrendous injury toll and yet, they're still up there competing for the top four. You look at their current team and on paper, there's no way they should be doing as well as they are. But the fact of the matter is they are and I'm sure they'll want to continue that on Friday night against us. So because of that, some might say we'll beat them easily but I don't think it'll be easy at all. As I said, they're top four for a reason so it's going to be a real challenge. They'll be extremely fired up and will probably fancy their chances. We need to really focus on containing their main weapons in Tedesco (not really sure if you can contain him, it's more about limiting his impact), Manu, Tupou, Walker and JWH. If we can do that, which has been proven easier said than done by many teams this year, then it'll go a long way to getting the result.

For us, it's all about getting back on the horse and rebounding this week. We all know what happened against the Panthers, we all know we were dudded by the ref but that's in the past now. The result was still officially a loss and we can't change it so it's all about the response and how we bounce back this week. As I said, we can't take the Roosters lightly or they'll pull our pants down. I'm sure we won't need much motication to get up for a game against the arch-rivals. I'm hoping the boys have taken a lot of confidence from the last game and we should be looking to push on. They should particularly confident in defence as that was a good showing last week. These next two games are about building on that and improving either further defensively. That'll be a big area of focus. The other area will be discipline I'm sure. Yes, a lot of the calls against us on the weekend were bullshit but there was a fair few that were legit. We need to fix that up. If we can get those two areas of our game right, the attack will flow. I feel like we need this big scalp heading into the Finals.

So a bumper of a week this one, nothing better than playing the arch-rivals in a big game to tune up for the Finals! Time to write another chapter in the Book of Fueds!!

callmack1

Staff member
I don't mind Cookie being rested if that is the case, especially if he has a slight quad strain. He deserves a rest and him and Cody are the only spine players who haven't really had one after the Origin period.

Also gives us an opportunity to play Mamouzelos again. He'll be playing in his first big game against the Roosters so it'll be a great test for him and a great chance to show his passion for the Red and Green. I'm confident he can do a job as I rate him highly.

In regards to resting other players, I get that this game doesn't mean a lot in terms of our ladder position however, we don't want to lose. As I said earlier toady, the Roosters are still a quality side. You never want to lose to them and we also need to pick up our momentum again and get a big scalp leading into the Finals. Play everyone that is 100% fit.

Rabbit57

Juniors
I don't mind Cookie being rested if that is the case, especially if he has a slight quad strain. He deserves a rest and him and Cody are the only spine players who haven't really had one after the Origin period.

Also gives us an opportunity to play Mamouzelos again. He'll be playing in his first big game against the Roosters so it'll be a great test for him and a great chance to show his passion for the Red and Green. I'm confident he can do a job as I rate him highly.

In regards to resting other players, I get that this game doesn't mean a lot in terms of our ladder position however, we don't want to lose. As I said earlier toady, the Roosters are still a quality side. You never want to lose to them and we also need to pick up our momentum again and get a big scalp leading into the Finals. Play everyone that is 100% fit.
I’d also find a way of working Taafe into the 17 for the next two rounds. If injuries arise during finals and he is called upon he has to have some experience to draw on.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 24,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Gagai
4. Graham
5. Paulo
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Nicholls
9. Mamouzelos
10. Tatola
11. Host
12. Arrow
13. Murray

14. Marshall
15. Su'A
16. Burgess
17. Sele

So Paulo in for Mansour, Mamouzelos in for Cook, Hosty in for Keaon which means Su'A would come onto the bench. Otherwise, we should go as full strength as we possibly can.

southsport

First Grade
Team is.

1) Latrell Mitchell
2) Alex Johnston
3) Dane Gagai
4) Campbell Graham
5) Jaxson Paulo
6) Cody Walker
7) Adam Reynolds (c)
8) Mark Nicholls
9) Damien Cook
10) Thomas Burgess
11) Jaydn Su'A
12) Jai Arrow
13) Cameron Murray

Interchange:
14) Benji Marshall
15) Jacob Host
16) Junior Tatola
17) Hame Sele

18) Liam Knight
19) Blake Taaffe
20) Peter Mamouzelos
21) Taane Milne

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Team List for Round 24: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/08/24/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-24/

Pretty strong team there to face the arch rivals!! Can't complain, happy with that. Jaxson returns to the wing and in my opinion, he kind of deserves it, was great for us the last couple games he played and it's now his chance to make that spot his own. Interesting to see Cookie named, it's been said that we're giving him right up until kick off to prove his fitness. I'm still expecting to see him rested but we're keeping the Roosters guessing I suppose. Su'A straight into the starting side is really the only surprise. I would have had him on the bench but hey, Wayne knows best!

Strong team, we're ready for the arch rivals! Bring on Friday!!!

callmack1

Staff member
"We're going to go into the game with all guns blazing" -Host: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/08/24/jacob-host-media-round-24/

"We'll be looking to put smiles on as many faces back home as we can" - Murray: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/08/24/cameron-murray-media-round-24/

'Pretend finals series' - Bennett drawing on 2010 to prepare for finals: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/08/24...ennett-drawing-on-2010-to-prepare-for-finals/

Didn't realise this was Jai and Cam's 100th NRL match. Huge achievement for both so massive congrats to both! Proud of them and what a game to bring it up in against the arch-rivals! It's particularly special for Cam though. Playing 100 games at the club he grew up supporting would've been a dream. Now that dream is a reality!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
"We're going to go into the game with all guns blazing" -Host: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/08/24/jacob-host-media-round-24/

"We'll be looking to put smiles on as many faces back home as we can" - Murray: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/08/24/cameron-murray-media-round-24/

'Pretend finals series' - Bennett drawing on 2010 to prepare for finals: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/08/24...ennett-drawing-on-2010-to-prepare-for-finals/

Didn't realise this was Jai and Cam's 100th NRL match. Huge achievement for both so massive congrats to both! Proud of them and what a game to bring it up in against the arch-rivals! It's particularly special for Cam though. Playing 100 games at the club he grew up supporting would've been a dream. Now that dream is a reality!!
I thought you knew already bro they announced it in the team list video at 4pm on Tuesday when Jeremy was reading the squad out. I listen to it every week short 2-3mins video.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Insider 2021 Round 24: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/08/25/rabbitohs-insider-round-24/

Souths have lost 11 straight to Panthers and Storm. Does Bennett have to change to win title?: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/e82c10d85df28cb2e08f244d7549e5de

I thought you knew already bro they announced it in the team list video at 4pm on Tuesday when Jeremy was reading the squad out. I listen to it every week short 2-3mins video.
Yes, that's where I first learnt of it too. I always watch that video, love it! Watch it before I read anything else so that video is always the first time I see the team each week.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Sydney Morning Herald,

BUNNIES DIG DEEP

Andrew Johns

I’ve heard people knocking South Sydney after last week’s loss to Penrith, which surprises me. I’m more convinced than ever they can win the premiership.

There has been a knock on the Rabbitohs’ defence, but break down the game and you realise just how well they played.

Penrith’s two tries in the first half were from kicks. The penalty count was against Souths 11-2 . In the second half, Penrith had 58 per cent of possession. Souths made 77 more tackles.

On top of that, Cleary’s kicking game was perfect: he kicked for more than 880 metres, which means they were constantly coming off their own try line in the second half.

The big turning point was the ‘‘ downtown’ ’ penalty against forward Mark Nicholls. The following set, Penrith scored through winger Brent Naden. (Once again, could the Bunker please stay out of the play?)

Penrith didn’t score another try until Api Koroisau went over in the last minute.

So, Souths pretty much defended their line for 39 minutes, 40 seconds, except for one try.

It speaks volumes for Souths’ defence and I expect them to bounce back against the Roosters tomorrow night.

JOEY’S TIP: Souths by 12 FIRST TRY-SCORER : Alex Johnston MAN OF THE MATCH: Cam Murray

southsport

First Grade
From the Sydney Morning Herald,

BUNNIES DIG DEEP

Andrew Johns

I’ve heard people knocking South Sydney after last week’s loss to Penrith, which surprises me. I’m more convinced than ever they can win the premiership.

There has been a knock on the Rabbitohs’ defence, but break down the game and you realise just how well they played.

Penrith’s two tries in the first half were from kicks. The penalty count was against Souths 11-2 . In the second half, Penrith had 58 per cent of possession. Souths made 77 more tackles.

On top of that, Cleary’s kicking game was perfect: he kicked for more than 880 metres, which means they were constantly coming off their own try line in the second half.

The big turning point was the ‘‘ downtown’ ’ penalty against forward Mark Nicholls. The following set, Penrith scored through winger Brent Naden. (Once again, could the Bunker please stay out of the play?)

Penrith didn’t score another try until Api Koroisau went over in the last minute.

So, Souths pretty much defended their line for 39 minutes, 40 seconds, except for one try.

It speaks volumes for Souths’ defence and I expect them to bounce back against the Roosters tomorrow night.

JOEY’S TIP: Souths by 12 FIRST TRY-SCORER : Alex Johnston MAN OF THE MATCH: Cam Murray
That article sums up the situation perfectly imo.

Latest posts