What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Pezz70

Juniors
We bag Brooks a bit too much. Go compare his stats to other halves, they’re actually ok, he’s a little bit up on errors and down on individual tries but other than than he’s pretty good. One very interesting stat is that he has had to make 175 odd tackles more than Moses, 200 more than Cleary, 150 more than Reynolds. The only halves that come close to the defensive workload of Brooks are Hughes and DCE. This suggests that teams are targeting Brooks every time we run out, not surprising but Brooks is exposed because we have shit backrowers, I’d imagine if Brooks had a Kaufusi or Bromwich standing next to him in defence his world would change significantly. I agree with the assertion that he is not the pilot we need atm, but put him in a quality set up and he gets the job done every week. I feel a bit sorry for him. He’s been slaughtered and it’s not entirely his fault

WA Tiger

Bench
u can only blame the players around Brooks and AD for so long for their av/ poor form in regards to their roles in the team and results ..all the spin in the world won’t change that ..Id put both of them on the bus

Same logic applies to Madge
shit maybe noones to blame for our position on the ladder -13th

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
28 is a pup..I’d like to see Walters somehow sneak into the Penrith game at 6 to save the day. But with Brooks maybe not.
He has been playing Qcup and reserve grade, with a handful of NRL games, at 28 if you’re not established in NRL you’re done. With his connections if he was gonna be anything he’d have been playing regular NRL for 5 or 6 years. Play him by all means it’ll just mean we get beat by 56 instead of 44

WA Tiger

Bench
Yes yes you have all the stats Pezz and you keep getting it wrong…o hang on your backing Brooks again now arnt you because his tackling numbers are about the same as DCE’s? and u want to stick with the current “playmakers” despite the only number that matters 13th …

did u not start performing or see a player start performing in life/ on the field in some way when it wasn’t expected. There’s always variables we don’t see or take notice of that influence the now, that arnt in the stats book. For a 6 28’s far from done and can only be an advantage for a playmaker in a big game.

I don’t remember Madden lighting up the sky last time he played NRL. Madge is duty bound to play him this weekend tho due to his stats in the lower grade - thats all

Not going to help him against Penrith!

Every player needs a sustained go in their favoured position in the big time to show what he’s got.Walters is prob the only player that hasn’t been given that because of his versatility, despite showing glimpses of star quality in the A team at 6. That’s all the stats I need.

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
We bag Brooks a bit too much. Go compare his stats to other halves, they’re actually ok, he’s a little bit up on errors and down on individual tries but other than than he’s pretty good.
Stats are bandaids over the broken legs of performance.
The kicking meters stat does not mention how many kicks went down the fullbacks throat and he ran it back 30 meters upfield.
The try assist stat doesn’t detail how many were from hit and hope bombs that ping ponged off three players before a winger dived on the scraps.
The tackle count stat does not detail how many were soft tackles, allowing the attacker to his feet quickly for a fast play the ball and scoot.
and on and on…..they are reasonably useless. Lead well, organise and focus the attack, kick well, set up your outside men, markup in defence and you’ll be considered a worthwhile halfback.
ore than Moses, 200 more than Cleary, 150 more than Reynolds.
Brooks has historically been a turnstile in defence. Attacks have focused on him as he is a soft target. This has forced him, through constant pressure and repetition to become a decent tackler. I still think he is not a great defender, but his tackling technique has improved out of sight. Blaming other players for his performances are as always, disingenuous.
put him in a quality set up and he gets the job done every week.
This may not be true. We have seen him play rep footy and he was average in that outfit. There is no evidence to suggest he thrives in a good team setup.
The truth is, he is too good for reserves but struggles to make a mark in first grade. He is the guy that you use until you develop or get your hands on someone better. Similar to Sam Williams from the Raiders.

Pezz70

Juniors
Stats are bandaids over the broken legs of performance.
The kicking meters stat does not mention how many kicks went down the fullbacks throat and he ran it back 30 meters upfield.
The try assist stat doesn’t detail how many were from hit and hope bombs that ping ponged off three players before a winger dived on the scraps.
The tackle count stat does not detail how many were soft tackles, allowing the attacker to his feet quickly for a fast play the ball and scoot.
and on and on…..they are reasonably useless. Lead well, organise and focus the attack, kick well, set up your outside men, markup in defence and you’ll be considered a worthwhile halfback.

Brooks has historically been a turnstile in defence. Attacks have focused on him as he is a soft target. This has forced him, through constant pressure and repetition to become a decent tackler. I still think he is not a great defender, but his tackling technique has improved out of sight. Blaming other players for his performances are as always, disingenuous.

This may not be true. We have seen him play rep footy and he was average in that outfit. There is no evidence to suggest he thrives in a good team setup.
The truth is, he is too good for reserves but struggles to make a mark in first grade. He is the guy that you use until you develop or get your hands on someone better. Similar to Sam Williams from the Raiders.
We saw him play rep footy, cherry picking at its finest, a 19/20 year old off the bench for about 10 mins, is evidence of nothing. I’m not saying his a world class 1/2, I’m saying in a decent team he holds his own at NRL, he has some glaring weaknesses in his game but a lot of them would disappear if he was following around a decent forward pack.

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
Yes yes you have all the stats Pezz and you keep getting it wrong…o hang on your backing Brooks again now arnt you because his tackling numbers are about the same as DCE’s? and u want to stick with the current “playmakers” despite the only number that matters 13th …

did u not start performing or see a player start performing in life/ on the field in some way when it wasn’t expected. There’s always variables we don’t see or take notice of that influence the now, that arnt in the stats book. For a 6 28’s far from done and can only be an advantage for a playmaker in a big game.

I don’t remember Madden lighting up the sky last time he played NRL. Madge is duty bound to play him this weekend tho due to his stats in the lower grade - thats all

Not going to help him against Penrith!

Every player needs a sustained go in their favoured position in the big time to show what he’s got.Walters is prob the only player that hasn’t been given that because of his versatility, despite showing glimpses of star quality in the A team at 6. That’s all the stats I need.
I’m not saying Brooks is the saviour I’m saying he cops a tough time that’s not all due to him. As for Madge being duty bound to select Madden due to stats that’s just a manipulation of the facts to try make a debate. Madden got selected because Doueihi is injured, Madge has tried all the other gimps and has no option.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

stryker

First Grade
We saw him play rep footy, cherry picking at its finest, a 19/20 year old off the bench for about 10 mins, is evidence of nothing.
It’s more evidence than your claim
put him in a quality set up and he gets the job done every week.
I and indeed most RL fans do not believe this to be true, yet we pay him huge dollars year after year….and people wonder why nothing changes.

stryker

First Grade
My apologies for thinking this was fake. Probably didn't want to believe it.
Feel for the poor guy.
If the worse case scenario is true that he is gone for 9 months an be no doubt now that next season is definitely over (as in any chance of finishing 8th)
I didn’t realise you did think it was fake lol…

Zoe Palmer

Juniors
Douiehi in the pack is a laugh, the bloke can run, kick and pass but can’t tackle. He is never gonna be the guy that can hit up a ball or run a hole. Stop this crazy talk about him being a forward. There was a day when lock and 5/8 were sort of interchangeable but those days ended with Wally Lewis

you clearly haven’t seen the role that Yeo and Murray play for their teams💡
as to the tugboat running. He’s as slow as a wet week and most of his “runs” are crabbing sideways

Tigertail

Juniors
Our only way out of this is if 4-5 guys from Jersey Flegg turn into the next Tedasco/Prince/Marshall/Ellis/Farah. I can't see any "superstar" coming here. If I was new with recruitment I would target the fringe first graders who are getting the odd game with Storm/Roosters. If they are getting a taste with those teams they must be highly regarded for the future and come from good systems. We need to do a Newcastle and find a young gun like a Ponga no one experienced is coming here though.
Well I think Newcastle are actually a bigger disappointment than us, for all the signings they have had, and they have had most of these players for a few seasons now. They have got Klemmer, the Safiti brothers, Ponga, Pearce, Frizell, Watson and up incoming players like Brailey and Best. Basically if they lose Pearce there gone. They somehow made the eight but will be the first ones eliminated. I think for us we need to develop are own, and then get a marquee player like we did when we got Ellis. Then keep bringing the juniors through.

Fordy20

Juniors
That Knights forward pack is monstrous and they have some decent strike players like Ponga and Best, but you're right @Tigertail, without Pearce, they are a rabble. It just shows that all the moving parts of a team are important. You need strike out wide, a strong forward pack and a decent spine. Some would argue we don't have any of these.

Tigerm

First Grade
this is from the Townsville Bulletin. was reported we’d signed him a while back.

‘Another Kirwan Bears star gets snapped up by a NRL club’

From the footy fields of Bowen to the bright lights of the NRL, this schoolboys rugby league sensation is making huge strides in his fledging footy career.

Kirwan State High School student and Townsville Blackhawks flyer Dudley Dotoi has signed with NRL outfit the Wests Tigers on a two-year-deal and will begin pre-season training with the Sydney-based club in November.

Already making a name for himself in footy circles thanks to his speed, ability and dynamite fend, Dotoi is eager to follow in the footsteps of other Kirwan High alumni who have taken the NRL by storm in recent times, such as Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Jason Taumalolo and Brandon Smith.

“I sat down with a couple of Wests Tigers people earlier in the year and they were very keen to have me there,” Dotoi said.

“It is like a dream come true. Playing NRL is something I’ve wanted to do ever since I can remember. It’s what I’ve been working towards and I’m overwhelmed that this next step has happened. A lot of people have helped me along the way and made it possible for me to be where I am now.”

Dotoi has been one of Kirwan High’s key weapons during this year’s Aaron Payne Cup schoolboys season, and he has also been a standout in the Townsville Blackhawks’ junior ranks. He was part of Kirwan’s Aaron Payne Cup and state championship-winning sides last year, and the success helped propel him further on to the radar of NRL sides.

Dotoi placed much of the credit to the support of family, friends, the Townsville Blackhawks system and also the Kirwan High community.

“I’m blessed to be here. I couldn’t be in a better place and the support I’ve received has been amazing,” Dotoi said.

Dotoi and his Kirwan Bears will play St Brendan’s College, Yeppoon, next Wednesday in the final of the Aaron Payne Cup, with Dotoi once again showing his class in the semi-final against The Cathedral College to help guide Kirwan to a 28-24 victory.

Bears coach Nathan Norford said Dotoi has all the attributes to enjoy success in the NRL.

“He’s a very talented youngster, and he’s got speed and elusiveness to beat. He can defence well and he’s definitely one of our strike weapons out there. He was with the Blackhawks’ state championship winning team and he has a great attitude. I’m sure he’ll grab the opportunity in front of him with both hands,” Norford said.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...b/news-story/5a45dab7bfee46a9b073721f03235f28

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Looks like Adam Elliott might be coming up this week. I'd certainly want him. Don't see that he's done anything wrong and can play. We might be able to pick him up at the right price as well. Definitely worth a 2 year contract in my opinion.
Agree, hopefully he has learned his lesson. I would also sign Fergo if he is still available.